Easy Problem Solved

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by IcyBC, Jul 25, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone loves to play fetch and he can play all day. The problem with this game is that he brings the ball back, but he won't drop it unless I give him a treat. At first, I gave him treats to teach him, but then too much treats will end up in my yard too many times :)

In any case, I solved the problem by purchasing two balls. I throw one ball for him to fetch, and when he brought it back, he must drop the it for me to throw the other one.

Now, I don't have to tug and pull the ball out of his mouth. He still gets a treat after we are done playing though :)

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  2. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

Aww, I had that problem with my mom's dog, I used to throw the ball and he didn't want to give it back to me :( But he wasn't as sweet as your capone, my mom's dog was a very vicious dog. He would growl at me when I tried to take the ball back, needless to say I didn't play with him fetch for too long :p

Glad to read your problem is solved though =D

Trellum, Jul 25, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

He is now learning that if he wants to play fetch, he must drop the ball in his mouth before I can throw the other one. Sometimes, I just make him dropped the ball and using the same one to launch. I think he is getting it when I walked away from him, so he drops the ball really fast and just sit..Haha, one thing conquered and many more to solve.

IcyBC, Jul 26, 2015
  4. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

Lol awww! I'm glad he is starting to learn how this is supposed to work. What other problems do you guys need to fix? My frida still has issues letting me know when she wants to pee, sometimes she just holds it :( I need to let her out very often at night. I mean, I myself get up several times during a night to pee :p

Trellum, Jul 26, 2015
  5. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

This is a great idea!:)
    My Homer has at least 100 pine cones. When we play fetch, he doesn't bring them back, but it's not a problem, since there are so many of them everywhere:)

claudine, Jul 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My neighbor now don't have to hear me say "drop, Capone, drop" when we are out in the yard. It works out so much better this way. I don't have to go fetching the ball myself, or trying to pry the ball out of his mouth. It gives him the exercise he needs.

IcyBC, Jul 27, 2015
  7. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I've been looking for this dog all morning after seeing his name somewhere in the forum. I looked in the "Meet my Dog" section and there was no dog to be found. Now I have 'fetched' him I want to know about him. His name gets my attention immediately.

Winterybella, Jul 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

So sorry, I did post in that section, but here is a thread with his one year old birthday picture. http://www.dog-forums.com/threads/is-there-a-way-to-control-shedding.3058/
    There is so much to learn in this forum so I got carried away with posts that I wanted to read and know more. It is so good to identify myself with other dog owners who has the same issue.

IcyBC, Jul 28, 2015
Ask a Question