Is There A Way to Control Shedding?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone is shedding a lot, and I mean my floor is cover with his white hair in less than one morning.

I bought a de-shedding tool and brush him three times a day to keep the hair from covering our floor, but that didn't help.

I change his chicken and rice to lamb and rice, (Purina Pro Plan Select), and that didn't help either.

I have tried everything from adding olive oil to his food to combing to changing food, but he is shedding like mad every day. Has anyone with suggestions for me and what did you find that works to minimize the shedding?

IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015
  2. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I think some dogs go thru shedding seasons, it depends on the breed. I'm afraid you can't do much, this is something natural for some dog breeds. My mom's blue hiller shed a lot, we could see balls of hair on the floor around this season. My schnauzer never sheds, as far as I know that kind of dogs never shed.

Trellum, Jul 18, 2015
  3. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

How long is your dog's hair IcyBC?
    I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. Unfortunately, some breeds shed a lot:( I'm lucky, my Homer doesn't shed at all.

claudine, Jul 18, 2015
  4. IcyBC

danielle davidson Active Member

Yeah, I'm not sure if there is but I would like to know. Remy sheds a lot and it's bad because he has black hair. I love Remy, but I hate when he starts to shed a lot and it gets all over the house. I'm sure that it's just a season thing though like @Trellum said, because sometimes Remy isn't that bad. Other times he just is shedding all over the place.

danielle davidson, Jul 18, 2015
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum I don't think it is seasonal shedding for Capone and have to admit to defeat! He sheds everyday, and it is enough to knit a sweater :)

@claudine Capone has short hair. You can brush him until he is raw, and still hair coming out. One shake of his body and my floor is cover.

@danielle davidson I thought his shedding was seasonal thing too, and that he is getting his adult fur in. He just turned one year old, and still continuing to shed.

IMG_1646.JPG

He just turned one in this picture

IcyBC, Jul 19, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  6. IcyBC

Awwww, he is so handsome!!! So sorry to hear is not seasonal, I believe you, I can easily see his hair is very short... my mom's dog had medium length hair, was a different breed. I have heard pits shed a bit, but I don't think they shed so much. Have you taken him to the vet? maybe he is missing some kind of nutrient?

Trellum, Jul 19, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

On his next visit I will mention his shedding, as before we all thought that he is just growing and changing his puppy coat. I am putting him sensitive skin and stomach dog food now, trying to avoid wheat, soy and corn to see if this will help.

IcyBC, Jul 20, 2015
  8. IcyBC

Capone is so cute!!! He has such smart eyes. I love his yellow bow, it makes him look even more adorable:) I hope he won't shed so much when he grows up.

claudine, Jul 20, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

Yeah, it could also be something he is eating as well. Have you changed his diet recently? Some dogs are way more sensitive than others to certain foods, so it's better to check with your vet. Your boy is either eating something he shouldn't or not eating something he should (lack of some nutrient).

Trellum, Jul 20, 2015
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@Trellum He started shedding like crazy after he was neutered, and he was about six months old then. Since then he hasn't stopped shedding and I haven't change his diet. He is eating the same dog food, same name, same flavor, same type.

IcyBC, Jul 21, 2015
  11. IcyBC

Weird, then you should really tell that to the vet. Maybe it's something hormonal. I'm sure he will find the answer and hopefully a solution, but tell me... does your boy have bald spots?

Trellum, Jul 22, 2015
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

No bald spot, just an overall of his body! I am learning to live with it, but maintaining a clean house is lot of work. My laminated flooring is covered with thick dog hair if I don't sweep it twice a day to keep it looking decent!

IcyBC, Jul 23, 2015
  13. IcyBC

Man, that does sound like some sort of hormonal or endocrine issue!!! So you have noticed his hair looks scarce all over his body! Uhm, that changes it all, ask the vet if this could have been triggered by the neutering. Maybe his body is struggling to adjust.

Trellum, Jul 24, 2015
  14. IcyBC

Capone looks very healthy in the picture. I don't think it's a hormonal issue. However, asking a vet about it won't do any harm:) I always ask our vet thousands of questions.

claudine, Jul 24, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  15. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

It has been more than 6 months since his neutering, I just think he is a shedding dog and if I am right, he might be half dalmatian, in which case, dalmatian shedd year round as I have read :(

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2015
  16. IcyBC

Oh... but if the hair on all his body looks scarce, then there is a chance the quantity is not right, the frequency might be, but not the quantity. When is his next vet appointment? You can definitely ask him next time you see him, maybe he can get him to shed less.

Trellum, Jul 25, 2015
  17. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

OMG! He was worth the search. I was looking for a real life Gangster of a dog (although Al was quite a looker:)) He is just adorable: adorable! My three indoors seem to shed in a seasonal way but I don't worry as they look very healthy to me.....well maybe not as I have seen some ticks recently. That horrid story aside, I usually don't worry much with my girls, I just have to keep sweeping and mopping a lot and hope the fur does not show up in my food:). I had heard or read some shed more than others. I think this link says pretty much what you might know but it won't hurt to have a look.

Winterybella, Jul 29, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  18. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think Capone is just a shedding dog year round, not just seasonal! I do my floor three times a day, and still his hair filled the dirt pan :) It is hard since my other family members don't have dog, and the way he is shedding, I can't take him with me when I visit them, which is out of town. I don't want to leave him at strange kennel either.

By the way, don't you think Capone is better looking than Al? :) And I don't see the link @Winterybella

IcyBC, Jul 30, 2015
  19. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

http://www.petcarerx.com/article/excessive-dog-shedding-when-you-should-worry/1449...IcyBC, I think I got too excited because of Capone and forgot to add the link. Anyway I did not find the same one but this one looks just as good. I have not read all but will throughout the course of the day. It looks useful. Still I would rather fur than ticks. Right now I am in a tizzy about some that are around here and one of my dogs LOVES to jump up in the bed with me.

About Al and Capone Junior, I think they are both lookers, but Capone junior takes the cake. I think I should have named my Ginger a real life gangster Mae.

Winterybella, Jul 30, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
Ask a Question