"Your dog is not a human so stop treating it like it's one"

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard this before? What say you? Well those who know me well know my 'girls' are my heart and I see them as family. I don't think I'll ever have to choose between them and my fleshly family but I've noticed that some people are upset even disgusted when we display our love and affection for our 'babies'. Some even want to punch us in the throat as the article below reveals. What are your thoughts?
    http://www.peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.com/2011/05/people-who-treat-their-dogs-like.html

Winterybella, Mar 13, 2016
  2. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is my family and my friend and I treat him like one. He's the sweetest little thing in the whole world, I know he loves me more than anything. To be honest, I don't care if there are people who are upset about it. They aren't important to me. My Homer is.
    Fortunately, our family and friends love him very much too:)

claudine, Mar 19, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  3. Winterybella

I guess you really have to develop that 'don't care what they say attitude' really. I've seen the look on the faces of some wouldn't dare tell me a word but I've also had the few who said 'not in my house' etc. If only they took the time know what it's like to have a dog, I suspect they would look at things in a whole different light.

Winterybella, Mar 19, 2016
  4. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I see my dog and my cat as my best friends :) I personally don't care if others think we tend to humanize animals too much, to each their own ;) After all we are harming no one, right? ;) So, I say live and let live to those who have that kind of mentality, lol.

Trellum, Mar 19, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  5. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Aah, don't worry about it @Winterybella ! Give them all the love and kisses as you want and the way you want it to be. My children hold down Capone and kisses him so much that made other people sick to see too, but they don't care a bit about it. I also have overheard my sister talked about how dirty my house will be living with a dog too. However, I can say with certainty that my house is so much cleaner than her by at least 80 percent at all time.

Those who don't have dogs, have no hearts!!!

IcyBC, Mar 19, 2016
    Johanna and Winterybella like this.
  6. Winterybella

remnant Well-Known Member

Its true dogs are not humans but they have a personality. Added into the mix is the old adage that states that the dog is man's best friend. Some people don't have the courage to take animals as they are with likes and dislikes and the fact that they feel to be part of the human family albeit inferior. Dogs can even read our emotions and their undivided trust is good for the health of the depressed. However, being discrete is the key.

remnant, Mar 19, 2016
    Winterybella and Johanna like this.
  7. Winterybella

Johanna Well-Known Member

Mines my baby x

Johanna, Mar 22, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  8. Winterybella

nytegeek Active Member

Treating a dog with love and respect is a good thing. I still think that is treating a dog like a dog, not a human. Humans aren't the only ones that should be treated with love and respect.

nytegeek, Mar 25, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  9. Winterybella

Well I am off today and I think I am going to give all 'my girls' a bath. I guess if they were being treated like humans I'd be scolding them for not having a bath in weeks. I still think the critics have to be in it to understand the genuine mutual love and respect.

Winterybella, Mar 25, 2016
  10. Winterybella

All including people should b treated well. Some of us spoil our furbabies like humans because loss of family or dead children.

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
  11. Winterybella

It's true what you said. All should be treated well and some people have had personal losses that lead them to their furry family. Last night I was talking in an Abuse forum about dogs being great therapy.

Winterybella, Mar 31, 2016
    Johanna likes this.
  12. Winterybella

Djordje87 Active Member

I am surrounded with crazy people like this. It is okay to love your dog, I also do but I know that we are not the same and I know that a dog is driven by instincts and it is natural thing for them to try and alpha males if it is a male dog. In any case people have to realize that we are not the same and they are not our kids. They are our friends but evolution stopped them where they are now. I am not saying that we are better, smarter or whatever. We are not! But still we are different. Usually those people, my sister included, are behaving very strangely. They call the dog names or just use MY SONNY, or my baby girl... It really looks sick if you ask me. I could write a mini book about this but it looks like I am loosing the direction and concept here so I am going to stop.

Djordje87, Mar 31, 2016
  13. Winterybella

morgoodie Member

I see nothing wrong with treating your pets as family and I do just that with mine. They are a part of your family and they accept you as part of their family. They look to us for love, food, and a good home. How can we not treat them as family. They are loyal to us and are so happy to see us when we come home. They would probably give their life for ours in a heartbeat. I do not care if other people do not feel this way. I will still treat my pets as my children.

morgoodie, Mar 31, 2016
  14. Winterybella

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This reminds me of our first dog, Jedi. She is a mixed breed but a pretty one that's why we decided to rent a stud. She would surely have cute puppies. But the trainer of the stud had a hard time because Jedi wouldn't cooperate. And I was surprised at the remark of the trainer - that we treat Jedi as human so she is acting like a human... why would she agree to having sex with a dog?

Jedi died at 10 years of age due to renal failure. Despite 4 tries of different studs in 3 years time, she did not get pregnant.

Corzhens, Apr 1, 2016
  15. Winterybella

spence88 Member

It's ironic that even though they're not human, their actions and affection make them more human than real people. I mean, did it ever happen to you when your dog acts more excited than your friends or even loved ones when they see you? My professor told us that his dog loves him more than his sons do. Although that's in a jokingly manner. He told us when he goes home, the moment he steps in the front door, his dogs get all excited and will not stop jumping at him, while his sons greet him with just a quick look and a nod. That's what makes them lovable and treated as part of the family. How can we not?

spence88, Apr 1, 2016
    Johanna likes this.
  16. Winterybella

Awww

Johanna, Apr 1, 2016
Ask a Question