Your dog behavior when there are visitors

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by zararina, Nov 29, 2011.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

Is your dog become too aggressive when you have visitors? Or you could easily command your dogs to stop barking and just sit in the corner?

If there would be someone they do not know coming in our house, they will bark as if they threatening the incoming "intruder". But once they would see that we know that guess and we will let him inside, they will behave and just observing. Our pets love company and they really love being with us. They love to be given attention just like touching them and playing with them.

zararina, Nov 29, 2011
  2. zararina

Shawn Active Member

If he knows the person, he usually whines and cries wanting them to come play with him and pet him LOL.

If he doesn't know the person, he will usually viciously bark and growl at them and act as if he is trying like hell to go eat them up, once they get into his range, he turns into a big baby and wants to play and jump and lick LOL.

Shawn, Nov 30, 2011
  3. zararina

PuppyChow Well-Known Member

That is exactly how my dog is except he doesnt bark. He jumps on their legs and sniffs them
    until that person rubs him. He is usually not that bad unless the person who is coming in my
    house looks rough or dirty. He barks when my boyfriend comes in the house from cutting
    the grass.

PuppyChow, Dec 3, 2011
  4. zararina

amy005 Well-Known Member

Normally my dog is basically out of control when we have visitors that he does not know. He is really good with certain people and good friends that he has seen before a lot in the past. But even people he has seen a couple times before he freaks out at because he does not know them that well. He is very overprotective of his owners.

amy005, Dec 15, 2011
  5. zararina

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

My dog barks, and will not stop. He acts like he is a really big dog and he would bite their leg off lol! People love my dog, they always say how cute he is and they bend down to pet him!

wahcashmom, Dec 18, 2011
  6. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

Normally, they would bark at the strangers or those they know but are not so fond with. I believe they see themselves as security guards in our place that can’t just let anyone pass unless the owner of the place acknowledges that person. Also, my dogs are partial. There are times that they would stop once told. Other times they would continue barking as if they could smell something fishy with the guy. And there are times they were so vicious that they would run after the stranger that would just appear inside the gate. And bite.

King Browny, Dec 19, 2011
  7. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Candy makes no bones about her preferences. If she doesn't like the visitor, he can't even stand outside the front gate. She would lunge at her chain trying to get at him. However, she doesn't bark much. Just a deep growl which is even more threatening.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  8. zararina

classy_ally Member

Lola loves to jump on people and welcome them into the house. Some people like it, others don't. I am working with her on this. She is so high energy sometimes. But that is my baby!

classy_ally, Dec 20, 2011
  9. zararina

jules21158 Member

My dogs bark when they hear the door open but once the vistor comes in they just jump up and try to make friends.

jules21158, Jan 5, 2012
  10. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Seems like the bark is more like "Hi" rather than "Who goes there?" Depends on the dog, though. One of mine just keep quiet. So much the easier to have the target in range before declaring its intentions, so to say.

Victor Leigh, Jan 7, 2012
  11. zararina

saizo6 Member

I have two chihuahuas and one of them goes crazy whenever we get visitors. He would bark nonstop and even when we send him outside or into another room he'd still continue barking. After a while he'd just go curl up in a corner by himself and growl at everything and anyone that crosses his line of vision. My other dog on the other hand is really friendly. She likes meeting new people, especially little children.

saizo6, Jan 31, 2012
  12. zararina

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Mine don't bark at all when we have visitors. They wag their tails and wait for the people to sit and then try to jump in their laps. All except Babygirl she is kind of leery of strangers sometimes she even acts leery of me. She's the one I just got a year ago at a shelter. I guess it's going to take some time for her to be comfortable around people. The others love people and especially kids. They love it when the grand kids come over.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 1, 2012
  13. zararina

summerRain Well-Known Member

My Chao would bark at first then after a few minutes, he will wag his tails specially if the visitor is ignoring him. Licking the visitors might happen too if he's in the mood to do so. :)

summerRain, Feb 9, 2012
Ask a Question