Would you adopt or buy as a puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Nov 2, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

If you could start all over again, would you adopt from a shelter or a private home or would you buy your dog as a puppy? There are both pros and cons to both. I really liked the experience of training my dog however, there are some people who just do not have time. Also, I am in love with puppies! They are so naughty, but so cute. I don't regret buying my dog as a puppy at 6 weeks old, but my next dog I think I will adopt so I can help out and I am interested in seeing the difference in temperament.

dashboardc33, Nov 2, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

megsy23 Member

I would probably adopt. Obviously, I only would adopt a dog that I felt a connection with. Even though you don't spend much time with the dog beforehand, I think you can get a generally idea of the type of dog you're looking into. Some breeds are more calm while others are more playful. It's great to adopt.

megsy23, Nov 2, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

argon_0 Well-Known Member

As sad as it may sound Mishka will be our last dog. We've decided to have no more. She was our daughter's dog and as it always goes, we ended up with her. We enjoy national parks, kayaking and camping so it''s always a little difficult to leave her overnight at a moments notice.
    If I was to get another dog, I'm hooked on border collies and would go to a dog shelter first to see if I could give one a home.

argon_0, Nov 2, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I would adopt. There are plenty of good puppies which have been abandoned. Some are even recognized breeds. It's so sad that so much money is spent on other things which are of little benefit. Yet there is very little money to spend on, say, a program to neuter all dogs and cats which are found in the streets.

Victor Leigh, Nov 3, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

I prefer to adopt. Yes, puppies are adorable and I don't really mind the training process, but I just like the feeling of giving a home to an animal that won't have one otherwise. I can love them just the same.

Jessi, Nov 3, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

There was a time when I thought that mixed breeds are not easy to train. However, from my personal experience, mixed breeds are just as intelligent as pure breeds. The most intelligent dog I have ever had was Benjamin, a Thousand Way breed - Thousand Way being the way the Thais describe a dog that has too many breeds mixed in it to be counted properly.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

I'd buy my dog as a puppy. I'm obsessed with Yorkshire Terriers so buying is the only option. Although I must say that I really admire people who are willing to adopt a dog from a shelter. It's wonderful to help those poor, lonely dogs.

claudine, Nov 4, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have gotten dogs from a good friend. I have also acquired them from the shelter. I think its important to consider adopting a pet who needs a good home from a shelter. I'm not too fond of buying a dog from a pet store, when I know there are so many who need good homes being born or in shelters.

pafjlh, Nov 4, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Adopt! Puppy mills are neglectful and abusive for profit of pet stores. You can save a dog's life if you adopt them from the shelters.

Nick87, Nov 4, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

tajnz Well-Known Member

I adopted both of my dogs as adults through a local animal shelter. My family chose to adopt adults (aged 2-3 years) as with me being at school and my mother working there wouldn't be someone home all day to properly train a puppy.

However now I'm self employed I'm home most of the day and would be able to raise a puppy. At this stage of my life travel is a priority but once I've settled down a bit more I'd love to raise a puppy and watch it grow up. :)

tajnz, Nov 5, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

Adopting an adult dog has its pros and cons. In some ways, adult dogs are easier to handle. However they may have picked up strange habits from their previous owners and you may be in for some unexpected surprises. For example, I got Benjamin when he was about five years old already. He already knew his mind and was rather set in his ways. Took me quite a bit of time to get him to adapt to my way of living.

Victor Leigh, Nov 5, 2012
  12. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Ours definitely had some routines that he had fallen into over the years with his previous owner and there was no way he was going to mold to our way at that point. We had to adjust to him just as much as he had to adjust to us, ya know? There were lots of compromises being made in the beginning.

Jessi, Nov 5, 2012
  13. dashboardc33

pigeon_small Active Member

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't. Mine was the perfect situation. I technically didn't "adopt" my dog. He was a puppy when I got him though and I got him for free. You see my uncle has a business next to a dog daycare shop. He told my family one day that the couple who owned it had acquired puppies from their neighbor who couldn't take care of them (his dog had gotten pregnant when he wasn't looking) People had been coming through inquiring about the puppies and when I got there, Beau was the last puppy in the box.

pigeon_small, Nov 5, 2012
  14. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

All the dogs we ever had we adopted, and they were all a perfect fit for us, so I would definitely stick with adopting. I've tried to keep an open mind when going out to get a dog. Just because there are certain breeds of dogs I think look cool, doesn't mean they will have the right personality and/or be the best fit for me. You can't necessarily buy the dog you want and force them to get along with you, just because you like the way they look. Some breeds just aren't meant for some owners.

OhioTom76, Nov 5, 2012
  15. dashboardc33

Yes, some of those routines are quite harmless. In the case of Benjamin, he thinks it's great fun humping my leg at every opportunity. I think otherwise. Took a while to convince him that leg-humping is not acceptable behavior with me. Unfortunately, Benjamas picked up the leg-humping habit before I could fully change Benjamin's mind about it. Then I ended up having to teach both of them the proper way to behave.

Victor Leigh, Nov 6, 2012
  16. dashboardc33

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I'd love to be able to say that I would adopt an adult dog rather than get him as a puppy but I think that my personal preference brings me to the puppy idea. I think that adult dogs that are adopted may be harder to control - you never really know what they have been taught or what conditions they have had to live through. Sometimes these dogs undergo serious drama and are forever scared - which wouldn't be a problem if I could make them trust me immediately. A young puppy on the other hand is coming into your home without teaching and hoping and waiting to be loved. That pup will learn with you and learn about you - and a connection will be built. I think it's just easier that way, although I do feel bad for all the doggies waiting to be adopted.

bellahpereira, Nov 6, 2012
  17. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

Why don't you bring your dogs with you? I have a friend who does a lot of travelling and outdoor activities and they bring their dogs with them. At first it was difficult but eventually, everybody got a hang of it and the dogs themselves enjoy the great outdoors.

Try to check out this blog. www.roxythetravelingdog.com. She and her husband loves traveling with their dogs. Maybe you could pick up some tips and ideas on how to do it.

Why did Mishka end up with you guys?

Back to the question whether I prefer puppies or older dogs, I'd rather adopt any. I don't mind whether they are older or younger. Puppies are cute and easily trainable, but so are older dogs (as long as you've figured out what motivates them).

haopee, Nov 7, 2012
  18. dashboardc33

argon_0 Well-Known Member

On our short holiday last year we were unable to take our kayaks as we took Mishka with us to the camping ground. We were the only people there at the time and it would have been unfair to have tied Mishka up in a strange place. My wife and I prefer to kayak together for safety reasons in the open sea.
    Our parks and a lot of walks exclude pets because of the threat to wildlife, no matter how well behaved they may be it's a blanket rule.

Our darling daughter moved to the city to complete her studies and was unable to keep a dog there. As it turns out Mishka is better suited to a rural life with plenty of space to run around which she loves doing.

argon_0, Nov 9, 2012
  19. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

I see. Yes, unfortunately, having dogs can be complicated. I have a friend who has a dog daycare club and they have dogs all over the place. Others have a dog community while some who go camping together so that they could take turns watching each other.

Too bad you guys can't take Mishka kayaking. I am sure she would love it just like some dogs who prefer surfing and water works.

I see. I'd perfectly understand. I also moved away leaving my mom with my dogs when I had my training. Maybe your daughter will be taking Mishka back once she's done with her study.

haopee, Nov 17, 2012
Ask a Question