Working Dogs What Help Do You Get?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, May 21, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

How does your furry friend help you out? :rolleyes:
    Maybe they like to take you for a walk or help out in the garden?
    Do you have a photo of that hard working dog?

Dogs love to be active. They will get involved with just about anything. If I get a load of firewood Mishka will be there running all around the wheel barrow when I load my old farm ute.
    Here's a picture of the job complete with the help of my furry helper.
    [​IMG]

argon_0, May 21, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  2. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog is just a house dog as we do not have a farm or need to get some woos (we are in a tropical country).
    His main help is making sure that we are safe from trespassers as I could say that he is a very good guard dog. :D

zararina, May 21, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Sounds like Mishka thinks that firewood is just another species of sheep to be rounded up.

Victor Leigh, May 21, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  4. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

my dogs all serve very important purposes. They all bark whenever someone pulls up. They all bark when no one has pulled up. Buster tattles on any other dog who gets on the furniture, (he stands there barking and looking at the offender. and, of course, he lets everyone in the house know when I've left. Bowser is my babysitter for little Ann. He won't go near the road, and little Ann sticks with him the entire time. Bendy has the important job making sure I don't get too relaxed. She's good at it, too. I'm just glad she doesn't sleep in my room. Little Miss may not know the commands 'come here, sit, stay, or roll over'. But she knows the command ' gimme kisses". She's never let me down when I wanted a doggy kiss. She's old enough now that she's really good about not trying to stick he tongue in my mouth. She goes for the cheek and sometimes the eye. Bri likes to help me lose weight. She jumps the fence and then makes me chase her for what feels like a 100 miles. Little Ann's only real job is to look cute. She soes a really good job.

LilAnn, Jun 7, 2015
  5. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is too small to help me with anything. But he's very energetic, I have to walk him three times a day and play with him, so I get plenty of exercise, haha;)
    Sometimes, he digs holes in our garden, but it isn't very helpful:p

claudine, Jun 10, 2015
  6. argon_0

Trellum Well-Known Member

My frida helps me a lot :) By calming me down and making me smile when nobody else can :D I love her for that so very much, that means so much to me she doesn't need to help me with anything else. But sometimes she does catch a couple pesky critters, just the other day she killed a rat! I had to wash her beard asap... because i wasn't wiling to receive rat flavoured kisses, lol.

Trellum, Jun 11, 2015
  7. argon_0

My Homer makes me smile and calms me down too. You're right Trellum, it's a great help. Spending time with a dog, walking him and playing with him can be incredibly relaxing:)

claudine, Jun 11, 2015
  8. argon_0

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog is a house dog, but I have just trained him to carry the mail and bringing inside. He does it right off the first day, but runs into the garden with the mail in his mouth. Now he just waits at the door and come inside to drop them. I reward him with a treat, and he loves his job, LOL..

IcyBC, Jul 26, 2015
  9. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

That is great!! I'm lucky if my dogs don't grab the mail off the table and chew it up. My husband complains that they aren't better trained. But they know all the important commands... they know "no", if I point and say "Go" they'll go where I point, "now" means no playing around, "kisses, and "hugs" are self explanatory and the most important. Otherwise, they know what to do. Little Ann helps me get the birds put up in the pin, (its a work in progress), they all know their routines. And, honestly, I never really expect more than them knowing "hugs, kisses, and no".

LilAnn, Jul 26, 2015
  10. argon_0

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, the mails were not all sloppy or wet. I think he held them with his teeth, and this job has become a joy for him to do. (Haha, at least I think so) All I have to say to him was "lets go get the mail" and he understood.
    IMG_0466-1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    IcyBC, Jul 27, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  11. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!! If I could get my dogs to anything near as cool as that I'd be such a happy camper! I'm lucky to get them to stay in the fenced in backyard or not eat my floor. lol

LilAnn, Jul 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. argon_0

danielle davidson Active Member

Remy just loves to go on walks and run around the house. He is a very active dog. We like to take him for walks twice a day. That way he won't get too big, because he likes to eat everything in sight.

danielle davidson, Jul 27, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  13. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

How old is he? All mine love their walks. I think its the one on one attention more than expelling energy, though.Little miss has to stop every 5 feet for hugs and kisses. But my 4 month old is the only one who'll run around the house anymore. If Remy isn't still a puppy, what do you feed him? If I can get my dogs to feel that good, I'll give them whatever it takes.

LilAnn, Jul 27, 2015
  14. argon_0

This is amazing!!! He must be very smart:) If Homer somehow managed to get my mail, he would shred it to pieces, lol;) He likes shredding paper.

claudine, Jul 28, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  15. argon_0

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Thank you @claudine , he seems to be very smart. If you want to teach him a new trick, he will learn it in less than 10 minutes. My oldest son came home and taught him to turn right, turn left, go in circle, and Capone got all the commands in less than 10 minutes, which my son can't believe. That's why, somehow, someway, he fits in with our family smoothly.

IcyBC, Jul 28, 2015
  16. argon_0

Wow, that's wonderful! My Homer is very intelligent too, but he doesn't listen to us and has never learned any special tricks:(

claudine, Jul 30, 2015
  17. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I think all of my dogs have ADHD. They just have very little interest in learning any new tricks. They are so full of love that teaching them hugs and kisses wasn't much of a feat. and no, go, and take it outside tells them they're in trouble, so they listen very well to those commands.

LilAnn, Aug 2, 2015
  18. argon_0

Trellum Well-Known Member

Awww, your boy looks so cut and seems to be such a smart boy!!! What a joy to have a dog who can get the mail for you! And wow, I had no idea he was so big!! I dare to say he is not as muscular as other pits, but has some traces of that musculature, but his body looks more like the body of a dalmatian :) So cute!

Trellum, Aug 9, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  19. argon_0

IcyBC Well-Known Member

We haven't been very consistency with Capone for this job since it kept raining, so he is now a lazy mail delivery dog, and only does it when he wants too. We need to be on top of it, but it is hard when it is wet outside and he doesn't like to get wet either.

IcyBC, Aug 10, 2015
  20. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I am open to any suggestions! But I want to teach Little Ann to run the chickens off the carport without eating them. When I go let them out or put them up she goes with. If she's in a good enough mood she may chase one for a few feet, and then get either bored, or attacked. She has accidentally chased one into the pen (which is great), but I haven't gotten her to do it again. During the day, I would really like to let her out to chase the chickens off the carport. How do I convince her to do it, and to know when to stop?

LilAnn, Aug 11, 2015
Ask a Question