Will you have your dog spayed/neutered?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by trishgl, Sep 15, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

I know experts say that it would be best to have pets spayed or neutered but I'm squimish about it. My vet tells me it can reduce the risk of breast cancer for my dog and for male dogs it reduces the risk of testicular cancer. Do you plan to have this procedure done for your pet?

trishgl, Sep 15, 2013
  2. trishgl

Lokitns Member

Always, there's no reason not to unless you're going to breed. It helps their stress levels, dominance issues, etc. Plus, there are already enough dogs in shelters now, people shouldn't add to the problem by breeding to make money, just love your dog for who it is!

Lokitns, Sep 16, 2013
  3. trishgl

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes. We have done it to minimize testosterone levels to shoot off the roof. Having your dog spayed or neutered is another way to reduce aggression due to females and males in heat. I just spent thousands on Chooey's mandible because she decided to fight with another female dog while in heat. She ended up having puncture wounds on her head and a broken mandible.

Your vet is right regarding those health issues. If you're not planning to breed or "show" them, spaying and neutering them earlier further lowers their chances to have sexually related problems like pyometra, a very painful disease in intact bitches are prone to. If you are squeamish regarding the procedure, try reading about the cancers and pyometra. I believe this will change your mind.

If you want the best for your pet, it's the most responsible thing to do.

haopee, Sep 17, 2013
  4. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

In our case, we do not think it is necessary since our dog cannot go out without supervision. We do not intend to breed as there are already lots of stray dogs in the community. He used to be a stray dog before. :)

zararina, Sep 17, 2013
  5. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer won't be neutered. I wouldn't want his personality to change.
    Although I must say that it's pretty embarrassing when he "falls in love" and spends time near the house of his favorite female dog, howling:eek:

claudine, Sep 17, 2013
  6. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

I might neuter mine, but I plan to make them mate first... I just don't want to deny that kind of experience to my two girls. I want them to be mothers at least once in their life time, plus I was told that was healthy.

Trellum, Nov 17, 2013
  7. trishgl

And the best thing is that you'll have tiny, adorable puppies:D Do you plan to keep them or give them to someone?
    Also, I've always been wondering, do you have to help your dog deliver puppies? Or maybe they do this by themselves?

claudine, Nov 17, 2013
  8. trishgl

dodgesnose Member

Our last dog Ginger, a sheltie, was fixed and she's one sweet and healthy dog for almost her entire life. When we look for a second dog, one of the main category we look for is a spayed or neutered one and Dodge showed up among others and we know he's the perfect one to give a loving home.

dodgesnose, Nov 21, 2013
  9. trishgl

firelily99 Well-Known Member

All of my pets are spayed or neutered and I do it as soon as I can. It cuts down on the various heath problems as well as behavioral issues. Too many puppies and kittens end up in shelters, getting killed, badly abused, or fall into the hands of unscrupulous people. There are not enough homes for animals now, do you want your puppies and kittens to have an unfortunate end to their short lives?

firelily99, Dec 13, 2013
  10. trishgl

If Homer became a father, I'd take care of his puppies. I wouldn't let anything bad happen to them. So I don't see any reason to have him spayed. But I completely agree that homeless dogs and dogs in shelters should be spayed or neutered. Poor things, I wish they all found loving families!

claudine, Dec 16, 2013
Ask a Question