Why you have dog/dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by zararina, Jan 14, 2012.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

We could have same or different reasons why we have dogs in our lives.
    Personally I grew up with dogs and we treat them as member of the family. We would have dog because they are good companions, brings happiness and also can be very good guards.

zararina, Jan 14, 2012
  2. zararina

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Same reason for me, I grew up with a cat and a dog, and after they passed it was pretty much coincidence that this other dog came into my family's life, and we fell in love with him. Then we got a second dog to keep him company and be a playmate for him. They're like members of the family and they get us out for exercise whether we like it or not, and the big one especially is a great guard dog.

Nick87, Jan 14, 2012
  3. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have dogs because, for me, they make better sense than a lot of people I have met. Much more loyal and much more loving.

Victor Leigh, Jan 14, 2012
  4. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

Dogs would take you for whoever you are. And they’re so easy to please. And they would protect you with their life. I could definitely live without men in my lifetime but not without pet dogs. But of course, you would want your dog to die first before you do because they prefer to be with their master more than anything else. *suddenly reminded of the movie Hachiko*

King Browny, Jan 15, 2012
  5. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree that dogs can really appreciate what good deeds had been done for them through their own ways of showing gratitude. So loyal and not afraid to show their love. :p

zararina, Jan 15, 2012
  6. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Your dog doesn't care whether you have bathed or not. Or whether you have shaved or not. Or whether you have a juicy bone for it or not. All it cares is that it can be with you. That's all it cares. Hard to find a human being who cares like that. Maybe one in a million.

Victor Leigh, Jan 15, 2012
  7. zararina

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I have a dog because I enjoy animals. I enjoy being able to rescue a dog and save it's life. I enjoy the unconditional love that my dog gives me and I give him. :)

MakingCents, Jan 16, 2012
  8. zararina

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

I have pets because I want company and to nurture something since my family is grown and gone. Unfortunately I have pet rules here in the gated mobile home community. Only one pet per household is allowed and already broke the rule with 2 cats...so better not push it with a dog too.

SallyintheValley, Jan 26, 2012
  9. zararina

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I grew up always having a dog in the family. As far back as I can remember we had at least one dog. I remember being about 5 and my sister was 3 and we were making mud pies and I dared my sister to eat dog food and she did! That is my earliest memory of having a dog. LOL

I was a little worried when we moved this summer because I wasn't sure I could find a place for us all but we found a nice place in the country with three acres so, we all get to stay together.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  10. zararina

Ilie Corina Valentina Member

I have dogs because I love them.:D

Ilie Corina Valentina, Feb 13, 2012
    thegrey1 likes this.
  11. zararina

IcyBC Well-Known Member

When we were young, we have two dogs, so naturally my children all want to have dog! It took us a long time and many tries to have the right dog that blends perfectly in with our family life style and activities.

IcyBC, Jul 29, 2015
  12. zararina

claudine Well-Known Member

My parents bought Homer and I fell in love with him the moment I first saw him. Now, I can't imagine my life without dogs. They're such sweet and loving creatures!

claudine, Aug 3, 2015
  13. zararina

mak73 Member

I have always had dogs since I was kid. The longest I went without one was about a year and half. Our beloved Chelsea passed away rather suddenly April 2012. My daughter took it rather hard. We had the dog before kids so they grew up with her. After a bit, we decided about getting another one, and right after that my friend posted on FB that her friend needed to find a home for her dog. I will tell you that it felt really weird not having a dog around. Though we live in a small town where not much happens, I didn't feel safe. We had a rabbit and some fish/frogs. But it's just not the same. Dogs are much more sociable.

mak73, Aug 7, 2015
  14. zararina

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Initially I took in my first house dog because of my son and kids have a way of making you do things you figure you never would. I never thought I would have dogs up in my face or on my pillow looking into my eyes. I would have said not in a million years. Now I tell people God has been good to me by giving me my dogs. They are 'the daughters' I never had, my friends and I would not have it any other way although they kept me up all night into the morning with their barking.

Winterybella, Aug 8, 2015
  15. zararina

Trellum Well-Known Member

I've a dog because I grew up with them :) I had a bad experience with our first family dog though, he was so vicious he ended up alienating me from everyone else in the neighborhood. But I knew not all dogs were bad, so when I grew up I got another one and that is how I have my Frida now :) She is so sweet and not vicious at all!

Trellum, Aug 9, 2015
  16. zararina

thegrey1 Member

I have always had dogs in my life. When I was a toddler, I remember my brother, who was 10 years older than me, bringing home stray dogs all the time! We lived in the country, and my mom would take them all in, and do the best she could to care for them. It's like a family tradition! LOL The two we have now, Bug and Gunner were foundlings, Bug came from a grocery store parking lot, and Gunner was a starving puppy in a campground. I will never turn away a stray animal, especially a dog or cat. They truly are members of our family.

thegrey1, Aug 14, 2015
  17. zararina

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Thegrey1, what you do is so great. I grew up with them around me as well, but I don't think I came to appreciate them as I should until I had some directly under my care. I was last of seven kids, so I pretty much was an observer and now that I think back I don't think my family understood just how special dogs were. An early experience where I was bitten also set me back many years but thankfully, I have opened my heart again and it's wonderful.

Winterybella, Aug 14, 2015
    thegrey1 likes this.
  18. zararina

joycemcgregor Active Member

I have my dog for the companionship. When I got her I lived alone and the dog I had was very elderly and passed away soon after. I missed him terribly because I had had him for 20yrs. Little Sadie helped fill the gap his passing left in my life. She is very loving and follows me where ever I go in the house. She likes to sit close to me and sleeps at the foot of my bed. When I don't feel well, she cuddles up next to me. She is just a loyal companion and I would not trade her for anything.

joycemcgregor, Aug 15, 2015
  19. zararina

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I enjoy the security, knowing no one is going to get to me with them in the way, I love it when they're cute, I love knowing that I can't save every one of them but every one of these are going to get to be happy.

LilAnn, Aug 15, 2015
  20. zararina

anadrotowski Member

I love how loyal and true a dog can be until the very end. How they want to snuggle up so close to their human, and how sweet and loving they can be overall. I have six dogs, each that are cared for and loved by the whole family. There isn't a second that goes by that I don't think about my puppies when I'm away at my college. They are honestly one of the best friends I can have in this world.

anadrotowski, Aug 20, 2015
Ask a Question