Why is my dog afraid of the new toy bin?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I used to throw Misha's toys in her dog bed at night. (Not the one she sleeps in at night.) My Mom was out one day and found a small bin covered in cloth for Misha's toys.

Ever since, Misha won't take her toys out of box. She used to take them out of her bed every day. For some reason, she is not comfortable with the box and I can't figure out why.

I go to it and pick through the toys. I pull them out, lay them next to it, play with them and her. I try to get her familiar with it, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried placing treats in it. She takes them, but it doesn't seem to make her want to go in the bin otherwise. I fear she is going to stop playing with toys altogether, unless I baby her and take them out every day. I really don't want to do that.

Any ideas?

Melody, Aug 21, 2013
  2. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It's possible that she needs time to get used to it. Homer often barks at new things in our home. I don't think that he is scared of them though, he just doesn't like changes. Anyway, I'm afraid that all you can do is to be patient and to keep hiding treats in the new bin. Does Misha have a favorite blanket or something like this? Maybe if you could cover the bin with it for a while, it would start smelling like things that she knows and likes.

claudine, Aug 21, 2013
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, I also think that not being familiar with the new box could be the reason. Or maybe that box has a smell that she does not like or she thinks it was a cage that she might be trapped on it. :)

zararina, Aug 22, 2013
  4. Melody

amundy8 Active Member

That may seem odd, but it may have to do with lack of familiarity. Dogs get familiar with smells as well as visual. The smell may be aggravating for her. If it is the smell, then it may need time for that smell to wear off. You may try washing it, but it may not completely get rid of the smell. It may not hurt to try it though, and then test her reaction.

amundy8, Aug 28, 2013
  5. Melody

TheBrit Active Member

Does the bin have a lid on it that you fold back? Is it relatively deep, where she has to put her head right into the bin to retrieve the toys? It may be that it is a fear of putting her head somewhere it may get trapped. Maybe laying the bin at an angle, the top securely propped some 6" off the floor. If she can reach her toys safely without actually having to reach "into" the bin she may feel happier. Then it can slowly be moved into an upright position.

TheBrit, Sep 2, 2013
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm pretty sure that it's all because of the new smell. I don't know if washing it off will help though. My Homer hates the smell of soap almost as much as he hates water:p I wonder if other dogs don't like soap either?

claudine, Sep 3, 2013
  7. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

What kind of cloth does it have? Maybe she has associated the texture with something. Since it's not the color, I'm sure it's either the smell or the feel of it. Washing would really help especially if its fresh from the factory.

Don't worry, just get her accustomed to it, especially when you see her approaching it. Even if she looks at it, you can give her a treat. Invite her to approach it. If she does, give her another treat.

I got Chooey and Peanuts a toy basket. Chooey used to sleep on it.

shihtzu-playing-toys-basket.jpg

This is Chooey toppling down the basket to play with one of her jingly bells. Peanuts is usually the one who pulls out every good toy and what's left are the "boring" ones (like that piece of white insole at the back).

haopee, Sep 16, 2013
Ask a Question