Why do people risk their lives to save dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Becky, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

I just read an interesting article about why people risk their lives to save their dogs:

Has anyone here ever had to rescue their dog from danger?

If you want to read the article, here it is: BBC News

Becky, Feb 13, 2012
  2. Becky

zararina Well-Known Member

My dogs are usually inside our gate so no chance of saving them from danger. :p
    I think some who really treat their dogs as part of their family are willing to risk their lives to save their dogs. And also for those who had been saved from dangers by their dogs before.

zararina, Feb 14, 2012
  3. Becky

summerRain Well-Known Member

Caring them is the best way to make my dogs away from danger. There's a time when one of my dogs is having a diarrhea so I rushed him to the clinic as soon as possible. I think I just did rescued my dog from danger. Does it count?

summerRain, Feb 14, 2012
  4. Becky

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I keep my dogs inside my fence so the odds of them being in danger are slim. I haven't had to do anything that was actually heroic but the day after I got my dachshund I found out she had parvo. I had to take her to the vet every morning for fluids and then I spent most of the day sitting beside her at home putting Pedialyte down her with a syringe. She survived thank goodness!

SheWolfSilver, Feb 14, 2012
  5. Becky

King Browny Well-Known Member

Not really saved my dog from danger but I move out of home because of my dog Shakira. See I had an argument with my stepfather about my girl and, well, I defended her then I moved out with my dogs because he seemed to not want Shakira in the house. But I must say I benefited a lot in the end because I learn the hardships in life and now I’m good at being independent. :cool:

King Browny, Feb 15, 2012
    zararina likes this.
  6. Becky

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

Not to frighten you people with fenced dogs, but I know of a dog here in AZ who was picked up by the talons of either an Eagle, Hawk or Turkey Vulture (not sure which--we have all 3) and because he was a little too heavy dropped to the ground....poor thing had stitches galore and a raging headache....and he had been in his own yard!

SallyintheValley, Feb 15, 2012
  7. Becky

summerRain Well-Known Member

Ouch! Maybe there is no place that is completely free from danger. We really don't know when an accident would happen so better if we don't leave our dogs unattended.

summerRain, Feb 16, 2012
  8. Becky

Well, the hawks here aren't big enough to carry or even pick up my dogs. I've seen owls big enough but they only fly at night and my dogs are safe inside then. I keep an eye on them even when they are outside because they are notorious escape artist so if they were in trouble I'm pretty sure I would know.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 16, 2012
  9. Becky

King Browny Well-Known Member

I’ve seen something like that in the movie “The Proposal” I just don’t know the location but it’s on the seaside. The helpless little adorable pooch was grabbed by this big bird. Good thing Sandra Bullock was able to smash the bird with her cellphone causing it to let go of the pooch and good grief! Sandra was able to catch the pooch before it hit the ground. It really scared me watching the pooch in the claws of the big bird.

King Browny, Feb 16, 2012
  10. Becky

zararina Well-Known Member

That sounds scary. Good thing there is no eagle or hawk here or any other predator for our dog.
    At night our dog was inside to ensure he would be safe from whatever danger at night. ;)

zararina, Feb 16, 2012
  11. Becky

LOL I aw that movie! It was scary I would have been freaking out for sure if it had been my dog!

SheWolfSilver, Feb 16, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  12. Becky

LilAnn Well-Known Member

No real danger. I've had to pull one dog off another dog, but that the worst of it

LilAnn, Jun 14, 2015
  13. Becky

Diana Smith Member

In the area where I live in Colorado, there are multiple predators who can jump a five foot high livestock fence quite easily if they want to do so bad enough. We had coyotes that I have seen outside the fencing and there have been spottings of mountain lions and bears in our area as well. Our Great Pyrenees will bark their heads off to scare them away and we are lucky to never have had a bad incident ourselves, however some friends of ours up the road have not been as lucky. One of their Akbash dogs was attacked by a mountain lion. Fortunately they heard the noise and went outside and fired a shot into the ground with their rifle, scaring off the mountain lion. Thank goodness that their beloved dog was able to survive with just a few stitches.

I have also heard horror stories of small breed dogs being carried off by owls and other large birds, never to be seen again. With our Papillon I am very careful to not let him outdoors without someone watching him. I am planning on putting a pen outside for him with a top over it for his safety.

Diana Smith, Jun 14, 2015
  14. Becky

Trellum Well-Known Member

Thankfully no, my Friday lives indoors with me. So far I haven't had to save her from any danger and I hope things continue this way until the end. But if something bad happened I would not think it twice before saving her.

Trellum, Jun 15, 2015
  15. Becky

Trellum Well-Known Member

Kudos to you for defending your girl and even moving from your comfort zone just to defend her. Good job! I am sure she would thank you if she could talk :) It is great you learnt to be independent as well, wish I could do the very same.

Trellum, Jun 15, 2015
  16. Becky

claudine Well-Known Member

Fortunately, Homer has never been in real danger. But if something happened, I'd do anything to save him. He's my family and my friend and I know how much he loves me. Just thinking about him getting hurt makes my heart break.

claudine, Jun 17, 2015
Ask a Question