Why do dogs love car rides so much?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well for starters, does your dog love going in the car? Why do you think they enjoy rides so much?

Jessi, Jun 23, 2012
  2. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

I loved the picture, hillarious. Poor kitty. Anyhow the dog in my avatar Rosie loved car rides. She actually insisted on going for a car ride every single day. I remember in middle school and highschool Rosie would always come for the car ride in the mornings to drop me off to school in the mornings as my mother ran her comapany from home.

If my mother even mentioned the word "car" Rosie would get all excited and hyper and would grab her favorite squeaky toy and rush towards the front door. She'd then run back to us and bark a few times as if to say "lets go". I have no idea why dogs love car rides so much though, anyone have any insights?

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
  3. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

Such a funny picture:D . Unfortunately my adorable dog is exactly like this poor kitty. He hates car rides.He doesn't even want to be near the car and when he is in it, he is very loud, scared and angry. He doesn't want to look through the window, he tries to sit on my lap or runs even though there is not enough space to do it.

claudine, Aug 28, 2012
  4. Jessi

supergirl Active Member

Hahah!

But I think you'll find that not all dogs enjoy stepping into the car, let alone the ride. Mine used to get very sick and just lie there, making me feel sorry for her, I love it when I drive past dogs with their heads out the window though!

supergirl, Aug 28, 2012
  5. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Sierra loved riding in the car. She always wanted to get her nose up where the window was open to suck in the air. She was excited about getting in the car and couldn't wait for a ride.

Misha rides in her crate. She does get excited when she sees the crate come out and she climbs in ready to go. I don't think she enjoyed car rides the first 6 months or so. She cried very loudly the whole time. Now, she seems more happy with it. Sometimes she falls asleep in her crate.

As to why they like car rides, I'm not sure. I wonder if all the smells that come on the wind is like a huge odor buffet for them. They seem to really enjoy the experience of breathing in that air.

Melody, Aug 28, 2012
  6. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

It's very simple. Dogs, I am told, see things in shades of gray when they are not moving. So when they are riding in a car, the whole world passes by in techni-color. Is it any wonder that dogs love car rides?

Victor Leigh, Aug 31, 2012
  7. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

And here I thought that it was the wind blowing through their teeth and cheek flaps.

[​IMG]

Jessi, Sep 1, 2012
  8. Jessi

Maybe the wind plays a part in their fun. However if it's just a matter of the wind, then we can expect dogs to sit in front of fans. I haven't seen any of mine doing that yet.

Victor Leigh, Sep 2, 2012
  9. Jessi

Pocs Well-Known Member

You're pictures are more than cute! I love them! My dogs love the car, which is a treat since we do a lot of car riding and sight seeing.

My daughter have two drawf goats that given the chance will jump into the car for a ride also. I'm not sure why. Maybe because they want to copy the dogs.

Pocs, Sep 2, 2012
  10. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have seen mine doing it, lol.

You're right, though.... it would be more common. So maybe it's all the smells, too? They're really sensitive to smells, so maybe it's the excitement of a whole new world out there.

Jessi, Sep 2, 2012
  11. Jessi

Smells may play a part but somehow I think the smells fly by too fast for the dogs to really relish them. I remember asking one friend why dogs seem to chase more cyclists than motorcyclists and he said that when a person is riding past on a motorcycle, he would be too far to chase by the time the dogs get a whiff of his smell.

Victor Leigh, Sep 3, 2012
  12. Jessi

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

My oldest dog cried constantly when she was a puppy and we had to take her for a car ride. She cried the whole car ride the day I brought her home from the pound. She got over it though and started to like them. She was even in the car when we got into a car accident once, and got thrown around pretty hard, but still didn't mind going for car rides after that.

I think the reason our dogs like the car ride was because they knew eventually we were going to stop and get them their favorite treat - ice cream. Then take them out to the country to see the cows and horses (they loved that, would just sit there mesmerized).

OhioTom76, Sep 4, 2012
Ask a Question