Why do dogs completely ignore recognized commands sometimes?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Pippin, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Pippin

Pippin Member

I have walked my dogs many times, and both of them know exactly what I mean when I say something like "stop", or "relax", but in public one day last week, my dog decided to try and take off towards something when we were on a trail, and as I was holding his leash, he would not calm down as I told him to.

I knew something was wrong when he got jumpy, but I never knew what the problem was. I don't know what he wanted to go after, but it was like he didn't even hear what I was saying, but on any other occasion, this would never be a problem. Sometimes things like this happen.

You could be playing with your dog, and all of a sudden they could become really rough, and then you say stop but they keep going as if they don't know what you meant by that command. If you understand what my point is, can you tell me what goes threw their minds when they choose to not listen?

Pippin, Aug 3, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Pippin

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This is quite funny. There are times that Barbie will not come when I beckon her. The command is "come here" which she knows pretty well. But when she has a tantrum, what she would do when I would call her was to move her head to the other side as if telling me that she is ignoring me. But all our other dogs would obey that command. Well, you can surmise that Barbie is a spoiled brat and I have to admit she is... because of me, huh.

Corzhens, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Pippin

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Oh my, I have this problem too, but only on occasion! 99% of the time my dog listens well and obey commands, but once in a while, he has his own mind and just took off after something. He seems to not hear me or care that he will be yelled at later and get send to a time out. I guess that is what free spirit means! Sometimes, our dogs just need to let out some steam, just like us sometimes :)

IcyBC, Aug 10, 2016
    Pippin likes this.
  4. Pippin

Pippin Member

Yeah I think that's the case with my dogs as well. They are crazy at times, but in a good way. It's like on certain days or moments they choose to not listen to anything I tell them to do and I'm like what is wrong with them. They give me this goofy look like "Stop telling me what to do man".

Pippin, Aug 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. Pippin

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I get that mostly with 'come'! Sometimes I am really please with how the girls respond to 'come' but sometimes they would give me some serious ignores as if they are saying ' you're not talking to me, I good right here' and I am left completely confuse. I used to say that they only respond when they know they are coming for something to eat but that's not really true. They confuse me sometimes. Maybe we need Cesar.

Winterybella, Aug 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
Ask a Question