Why did you get a dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MzMonka, Apr 19, 2013.

1. MzMonka

MzMonka Well-Known Member

I have always had dogs so for me I can't imagine not having a dog. I had a short span of time when there were no dogs in our house and it just didn't work out well, everything was out of balance. I have always wondered though, for those that didn't have them as kids what made you want a dog? Why did you get a dog instead of another pet? There are a lot of other furry pets out there I am just curious why you decided on these lovable 4 legged creatures.

MzMonka, Apr 19, 2013
  2. MzMonka

claudine Well-Known Member

Having a dog was my childhood dream. I asked my parents to buy one so many times! Almost every day - but they always repeated "no". So now, when I'm an adult, I decided to fulfil my dream. I got a Yorkie because I find them the cutest and I wanted a small dog since I'm so inexperienced.

claudine, Apr 19, 2013
  3. MzMonka

lifeliveson Well-Known Member

We rescued a dog and had him 10 years, we a always had cats before that. He was a part of the family and the best dog ever. He got hit by a car cause he was losing his hearing , and even though he was good off leash he walked towards the road and got hit. my parents were so devestated, Ive never seen my dad cry but he was choked up about that. Dogs just overall change your moods. Tthey know when your sad, they cuddle you, and just make you feel like youre not alone and everything will be okay. If i ever get in the sad moods where I feel like nothing is going right, I always know its gonna be okay because my dog is there snuggling in my arms.

lifeliveson, Apr 21, 2013
  4. MzMonka

Yiddo Member

I don't know, I had one when I was born as my mom and dad had bought one. After that one died, we bought another just a few weeks after. Dogs have played a big role in my life, they are very loving and are one of the family.

Yiddo, Apr 21, 2013
  5. MzMonka

schizophreniatype Well-Known Member

I do not have a definite reason why I have had dogs. As far as I remember, ever since I was born I have dogs in my house They have always been here with us. Having a dog is like having a special member in the family because it is always there for you, it is always happy to see you whenever you come back from work/school, it is always around. Dogs are my therapeutic medicine! They keep me alive!

schizophreniatype, Apr 21, 2013
  6. MzMonka

Yiddo Member

I agree so much. Dogs are ALWAYS there for you, when it seems like nobody else in your life is.

Yiddo, Apr 21, 2013
  7. MzMonka

zararina Well-Known Member

I grew up with dogs or a dog in the family so it will will fell like something or someone is missing if there is no dog in the household. :D

zararina, Apr 30, 2013
  8. MzMonka

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

For us, it was never a choice of whether to get a dog or not: they "chose" us! All of our dogs have been rescue dogs, whom we found wandering on the street and so on. If I remember correctly, we found two of them just wandering around. The third one we found abandoned at the supermarket around Christmas time. Once we had checked if their previous owner was looking for them, they stayed with us!

GavinMcresty, Apr 30, 2013
Ask a Question