Who was your first dog and how did you get him/her.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pocs, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

My first dog was a black and tan coonhound named Tipper. A belated Christmas present from my parents when I was about 5. He was a rescue puppy from a stray who was going to be put down. Back then they usually put down all strays, so glad the laws have changed. He had the best temperament. He played dress up, rode in a stroller and went everywhere with us. He lived for 19 years, he just went to sleep one night at the foot of the bed and never woke up. I still miss him and my eyes well up with tears every time I see another coonhound.

Pocs, Aug 10, 2012
  2. Pocs

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not sure.

I think the first I can actually remember would've been when I was a young kid. His name was Sharky and he was a Shar Pei. I don't remember much about him other than I went away for a visit and when I got back, I gave my mom a hug. He was really possessive of her, so he bit me on my belly button. Oops!

Jessi, Aug 10, 2012
  3. Pocs

Melody Well-Known Member

Pocs, 19 years, that's pretty amazing for a dog!

I was 4 when we got our first dog. She was a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle Mix. She was a gift from my Godfather to our family. She was black and white. She was more Cocker Spaniel than Poodle, though she had slightly curly hair. We named her Bubbles, though she had to have the middle name Shadow to keep my brother happy.

She was the dog that had seizures. I can't imagine how she tolerated us five kids poking, prodding, and playing with her all the time. She was a timid dog and it's amazing that she could stand all the energy in the house.

She lived to about 8-9 years old. She had a cancerous tumor on her back that could not be removed. When it began affecting her quality of life, we had to have her put to sleep.

Melody, Aug 11, 2012
  4. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

19 years is a long time for a young person to have a dog. The attachment would be so great.
    My first doggie was a stray bitsa. My fiancée called it Nip. When she left me :( for bigger and brighter things I ended up with Nip. I couldn't handle the name so changed it to Seamus.Seamus was given to a friend some years later when I left to travel forever overseas.

argon_0, Aug 12, 2012
  5. Pocs

haopee Well-Known Member

I agree. Nineteen years. Wow, he must have lived a pretty happy life.

I got my first dog when I was 7. She lived until I was 16. That's pretty long for a street dog. The correct term for her was "Askal". That's what Philippine local dogs are called.

She was pretty smart for a dog who didn't have much human interaction back then. My mom wouldn't allow me close to her because I was asthmatic. I kind of regretted not giving her the attention she deserved.

One of the most memorable moments I had with her was when she was clawing at the bottom of the rock where my mom tied her to and it was raining hard. She had babies and back then, my mom believed that we couldn't touch the newborn puppies because once the mama dog catches the scent of the human, it will no longer feed that baby. She was clawing at the rock which had a tiny opening and I was looking at it-wondering why she was whimpering and clawing at it. Eventually I just told myself "To hell with the rain. I'm going out to check what's bothering Apple."

So, I peeked through the large flat rock hole and found one of the puppies crying out while it the hole was filling up with rain water. I took the puppy out and felt relieved that I was there because nobody would ever think of going through the rain to save that little pup.

Back then, most dogs were tied so that they don't wander around.

haopee, Aug 13, 2012
  6. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is my first dog actually. I always wanted to have a dog when I was a child, but I used to have allergies, so my parents didn't agree on buying a puppy. Now I'm an adult so I decided that it's a good moment to buy a dog and I'm very happy with it. It's one of the best decisions so far! Homer was bought from a private person.

claudine, Aug 23, 2012
  7. Pocs

supergirl Active Member

Lucky was my first dog from a pet rescue sanctuary. He was only 8 weeks old. A lurcher cross something type dog who grew to be quite large indeed! He was a protector and certainly didn't like men with beards or my friend, Lucy. Unfortunately he was killed my a car chasing after chasing his natural enemy - a cat.

supergirl, Aug 24, 2012
  8. Pocs

firelily99 Well-Known Member

My first dog was a rescue, one of thirteen pups that we brought from a hell hole along with their mama. Not on pup looked liked the rest! I only planned to foster her but ended up keeping her.

firelily99, May 1, 2014
  9. Pocs

zararina Well-Known Member

My first dog name was Queenie. :)
    She was given to me when I was six years old. She was a mixed breed.

zararina, May 15, 2014
  10. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

What did she look like? Was she big or small? Queenie is a cute name for a dog:) I'm sure you were great friends. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I dreamed of having a dog when I was a kid. I even imagined one and named him, lol:)

claudine, May 15, 2014
  11. Pocs

Trellum Well-Known Member

M y first dog was a an Australian cattle dog named ''Brandy''. Not the best dog for a first time owner, a first time owner that happened to be 8 years old at the time! Not good at all. I didn't have a good relationship with that dog because he was too dominant and aggressive, he wasn't socialized properly, so I can't blame him. Never liked him tho, til the very end, not one bit. Wasn't sad to see him go. I was sad to see my dear pit bull mix puppy go tho...

Trellum, May 28, 2014
Ask a Question