Where did you get your pets names from?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lifeliveson, Apr 18, 2013.

1. lifeliveson

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Yes, this time of year,winter, she's big and fluffy with a long coat. We generally call her fluffy butt, but maybe bear will be used. She is a gentle dog and is quite easily frightened by loud noises. If there's any disagreement in the house one of us will say "your scaring Mishy" :oops: and that tends to quieten things down.:)

argon_0, Jun 28, 2013
  2. lifeliveson

Winterybella Well-Known Member

The names came straight out of my head. Zola, Remy and Reba. I believe I might have read about a Reba in a book many, many years ago and I distinctly remember it was not a dog's name. My vague recollection makes me believe it was a ghost of some sort.

Whatever the case, whenever a name hits me, I go with it. Zola whose birth I witnessed was also an off the top of my head name. I insisted she be registered with my surname. As for Remy. I suppose that name just came to me as well. The interesting thing is that whatever names they were given no one in the house questioned those names.

Winterybella, Jan 8, 2015
  3. lifeliveson

claudine Well-Known Member

I love the name Zola, it sounds very sweet:)
    My boyfriend and I, we decided to name our future dog Virgil after Publius Vergilius Maro. It will be Virgil the Yorkie:D

claudine, Jan 19, 2015
  4. lifeliveson

mkCampbell Active Member

I've never really thought about it. I guess we just find a name that we feel matches the dog. Jake looked like a Jake, Then a few year later Lil' Jake started out as Jasper but he did so many things like Old Jake that our friends started calling him Lil' Jake and it just stuck. Big Mo was named Moses when we adopted him. Lucy just seemed like she needed to be named Lucy. King was our nephews dog before he moved and could not keep him. We did name a beagle Snoopy about 30 year ago - a Charlie Brown thing with the old Halloween and Christmas specials.

mkCampbell, Mar 6, 2015
  5. lifeliveson

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, my cat is named Bob because of a video game I played wih some friends. Basically Bob is the name of a really cool character from that game: a black cat. As for my dogs... well, well I got some help from my parents :) Nothing special about how I got their names... excepting for my schnauzer because I named her ''Frida''. It's just she reminded me of Frida Khalo :p

Trellum, Mar 9, 2015
  6. lifeliveson

tardy12 Member

I remember discussing my dog's name with my youngest son, who was sixteen at the time. He is a violinist, and wanted to have a musical name. We decided on W.A. Mozart II. We shortened it to Moe for everyday, and we're really happy with it. Another time, I sat on my bed with my oldest son and his girlfriend and read (or tried to read) names from lists on the internet. It was hilarious. Trying to pronounce some of the foreign names made us laugh so hard we cried. We ended up naming the dog Suesse ( which means "sweetheart" in German). It was a cute name, but for some reason, we ended up calling her Looby. I have no idea why.

tardy12, Apr 18, 2015
  7. lifeliveson

Hello Tardy12!
    Both Suesse and Looby sound really cute! Same goes for Moe. We named our dog Homer, but we usually call him Homcio, Mr H or just H:D

claudine, Apr 19, 2015
  8. lifeliveson

:) I am now seeing these grandiose plans and names. Sounds very royal if you ask me. I hope these "kids" come along soon. I really do love the proposed names. Now I am thinking my last girl Ginger is too ordinary a name. She is already responding to it so I'll stay with it.

Winterybella, Apr 21, 2015
  9. lifeliveson

Haha, I noticed that most Yorkies have names that sound very royal. I met Peter Paul Rubens, Gustavus, and many others. My friends have a Yorkie named Putin:p
    Ginger is a very sweet name, don't change it:)

claudine, Apr 22, 2015
  10. lifeliveson

The name Ginger just hit me with my latest addition. It's her colour and that's what helped me to make the decision. There is no royalty with Ginger. She is a royal pain in the butt :D but my new delight.

Winterybella, May 16, 2015
  11. lifeliveson

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Ingot bowser from a friend who was moving. Either I took him or he was going to the shelter. The shelter asked me to foster a couple, I never let them go. Sandy passed away and bendi is still here. The two blues were litter mates in a litter they couldnt sell, so i have them. Buster was at the shelter. Little Ann is what happens when little miss comes into hear before she's fixed and bowser rips a kennel to peices trying to get to her. She was the only puppy born, too

LilAnn, May 29, 2015
  12. lifeliveson

I was wondering why you had named her ginger as well, lol. I thought it was such a cool name, sounds so human :)

Trellum, May 30, 2015
  13. lifeliveson

I think this name really suits her. Then I got to thinking that ginger as we know it hot and she is a hot little number in more ways than one. This is the first one whose name sits with her personality.

Winterybella, May 30, 2015
  14. lifeliveson

Hi Anne! How are things with ginger now? Is she finally doing her business in the right place, or she still hitting and missing? I truly hope she has gotten better! I hope the other dogs haven't followed her bad examples?

Trellum, May 31, 2015
  15. lifeliveson

superbobby Member

I named him Ghost because I'm a Game of Thrones fan. I'm sure a lot of dog owners are naming their dogs Ghost too.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
  16. lifeliveson

To think that I would see this today. The day I go to go to my son's patio and I am met by the big p--p. She so naughty but I can't seem to get or stay mad at her. She is much, much better but she still has a way to go. I find I can leave her long hours and then she goes out with the others. Then when you think she has it covered she pops you a surprise. I want to give them all a bath today.

I think I should rename Ginger, Pooper.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Winterybella, Jun 6, 2015
  17. lifeliveson

Hahahahahaha, omg, sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing at the pooper part, oh my! I had a dog that was just like that, that name would fit her so well! But in all seriousness, am glad to hear she is at least improving, as long as the others don't do the same she does all is fine. Some dogs take longer than others to learn, yours will eventually learn :)

Trellum, Jun 7, 2015
  18. lifeliveson

mkCampbell Active Member

What a great question. We had a beagle growing up that was Snoopy of course. Then we have named just from what we thought fit the pup. With our adopted/shelter dogs over the years we've just kept the names they came with. I think I'm kind of a simple name guy. Duke, Hover, Mo, etc. A friend of mine had a dog named Cracker!

mkCampbell, Jun 12, 2015
  19. lifeliveson

Diana Smith Member

Sasha (the Great Pyrenees girl in my profile picture) was named after we got her from a rescue organization. She simply looked like Sasha to us. She responded to it right away. My male Great Pyrenees was already named Rocky when we got him from the rescue so we kept his name as to not confuse him. My Golden Retriever Amber Cinnamon IV is a dark red girl and very beautiful. Before her we had Amber Cinnamon III and she died at only 7 years because of an aggressive cancer. We named our new girl in honour of her. My little boy Papillon was named by 13 year old son 12 years ago. We were looking in a dog breed book and Brandon fell in love with the Papillon breed. He stated "I want to get a Papillon and I am going to name him "Puppilion". And so that is exactly what we did. We call him Mr. P for short and he will respond to either one.

Attached Files:

Diana Smith, Jun 14, 2015
Ask a Question