Where did you get your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dani72, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

I've always fancied having a pedigree dog like a beautiful Golden Retriever, but I've never been able to bring myself to buy one when there are so many dogs in rescue centres looking for homes. I know there are often pedigree dogs in rescue centres but I always manage to take the dog that most looks like it needs a home.

Where did you get yours?

Dani72, Jun 30, 2012
  2. Dani72

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Jun 30, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. Dani72

argon_0 Well-Known Member

What's for dinner Jesse.Yummo. Thank's for that and the other links. An interesting read.
    Mishka came sort of from the hardware store. My wife was in there one day buying some nails or something when she saw a notice and a picture of some puppies. Our daughter was going through a difficult time and it was thought a dog may help out. Two puppies were left when my wife and daughter eventaully got to the owners house and Mishka was chosen.
    Our daughter has since left home for the city and is doing very well and Mishka is, I guess, our dog now. So Mishka was chosen for a bit of therapy. She certainly gives me some laughs.:D

argon_0, Jul 1, 2012
  4. Dani72

zararina Well-Known Member

Majority of our dogs are just given to us by our friends or acquaintances. We do have a dog that we adopt since it used to be a stray dog.

zararina, Jul 1, 2012
  5. Dani72

tajnz Well-Known Member

We found our dogs at a local animal shelter (RSPCA). As I was in elementary school at the time (almost in middle school) we looked at adult dogs as I obviously couldn't be at home all day to look after a puppy. Thankfully due to my mum's work hours she was home some of the day with our new adult dog though. :) Perhaps a month or two later the woman who had adopted her sister returned her as she was allergic and they couldn't find a home for her and so we got a call and decided to adopt her. :D

I'm currently studying at college and Rosie the second dog we adopted lived until my first year of college. :)

tajnz, Jul 2, 2012
  6. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

Nice story. You're quite right about older dogs finding harder to be adopted.He's a lucky dog being cared for so well.

Dani72, Jul 2, 2012
  7. Dani72

jojocoach New Member

I have had dogs from pet stores and dogs from humane shelters. I don't like to buy dogs from a pet store as I feel that this helps puppy mills prosper. If you want a purebred dog the best way is to go to the breeder. There you can see the Mother and Father and how the puppy was cared for. Hopefully this will get rid of puppy mills!!:D

jojocoach, Jul 3, 2012
  8. Dani72

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I've never had a dog from a shelter. I suppose if I ever went to a shelter I would want to take most of them home. I don't even think I can remember buying a dog. I have mostly gotten dogs as gifts. In the case of my last dog Zola she was born into the family. One of my "gifted" dogs produced her.

Winterybella, Jan 19, 2015
  9. Dani72

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer was bought from a breeder.
    We wanted to have a Yorkshire Terrier, because many of my family members have allergies. Yorkies are hypo-alergenic:)

claudine, Feb 2, 2015
  10. Dani72

Trellum Well-Known Member

I rescued my schnauzer girl from an irresponsible dog breeder, my pug was a gift. My first dogs (as a child) were bought to me by my parents from several sources, mostly dog breeders :( Yes, I'm sad to admit I was ever part of that dirty and disgusting business...

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
  11. Dani72

Hehehe! That is cute! So is the baby momma still around or not? I got a couple dogs in the past that way, hence I now only have females and they're all neutered already :)

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
  12. Dani72

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Oh yes she's around. She is much smaller than her daughter and so timid at times. The daughter helped to bring her out of her shell. I used to call the mom "my ghetto queen" aka "the baby momma".:) She was not used to being in the house and it took me a long, long time to convert her. Her daughter was born with a "gold spoon" in her mouth and has had to teach her mom the social graces.:)

I've never neutered them and my brother wants my Zola (the daughter) to be with some other breed but I don't want it. At first I thought it might be good to carry on the legacy but with all the reading I have been doing, I don't think I want to go through with it anymore.

Winterybella, Mar 10, 2015
  13. Dani72

Not all dog breeders are bad people. We bought Homer from a really nice man who has two daughters. They help him taking care of all the puppies. Both Homer and his sister were very happy, clean and healthy when I first saw them:)

claudine, Mar 10, 2015
  14. Dani72

I know Claudine, some breeders are very nice and good people, but I still feel regretful. Because I'd have preferred my parents to get a rescue dog, instead of buying it. Now as an adult I'd never buy a dog from a breeder, I don't want to support that business, I'm actually glad to report that over here we are seeing less dog breeders.

What I dislike about this business the most, is not only the fact they breed their dogs til death, but the fact a lot of those puppies end up in the street. Yes, just the other day I saw a pure breed french poodle dog, in other occasions I've seen even pure breed Maltese and even a basset hound :( It's sad, but a lot people buy pure breed dogs, sometimes not even sure they want them, then they start to realize having a dog is no easy job and most of the time abandon them. That's why I don't like that dog breeding business. If only more people rescued dogs from shelters over here, then we'd not have such a huge stray dog issue.

Trellum, Mar 11, 2015
  15. Dani72

This is so sad!:( I hate people who abandon their dogs. They're unbelievably cruel. I feel heartbroken when I hear stories like this. If my family wasn't allergic to most breeds, we'd definitely get a rescue dog too. I'd love to take care of a puppy from a shelter!

claudine, Mar 11, 2015
  16. Dani72

That is great, Claudine :) Wish more people were as gentle and caring as you are! Sadly a lot people out there are not. Over here it's even harder for abandoned dogs to get a second chance, because we don't really have many shelters :( The government just doesn't care, you have no idea how many times I've seen dogs I wish I could take home. Sadly I have no space nor resources to treat stray dogs :( Moments like that I wish I was a vet.

Trellum, Mar 12, 2015
  17. Dani72

Thank you! You're very gentle and caring too:)
    I've never seen a stray dog in my city. There are a few shelters here. I sometimes support them financially, but I'm only a poor student, so I can't give them as much money as I'd want to:(

claudine, Mar 12, 2015
  18. Dani72

That is great! I've noticed that in Europe there are almost no stray dogs (excepting Greece, of course), but most European countries don't seem to have the same problem we have in America. The stray dogs issues is so huge here, so I was amazed to see some countries over there have zero stray dogs :O

Trellum, Mar 13, 2015
Ask a Question