When your dog puts two and two together

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I am constantly reminded by Misha that she is a smart dog. And, I'm not saying that just because she is my dog. :D

I sometimes wonder about how dogs think, how they put things together in their mind. Misha showed me today that she can understand cause and effect.

We were in the living room and there was a fly in the room. I said out loud "there's a fly" and stood up to see if I could shoo it outside. Before I acted, Misha stood up, looked at the fly, looked at me, and ran from the room as fast as she could. I found her in her tent under her blankets.

Misha hates the flyswatter. She is terrified of it. I think she made the connection. Fly in the room means the flyswatter is coming out. She high tailed it before something happened. LOL She has never been hit with it, but doesn't like when it's being waved about.

Has your dog ever done anything like this besides when food is around or it's time to go to the vets?

Melody, Jun 8, 2013
  2. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

A few years ago, my doorbell was broken and whenever my boyfriend wanted me to let him in, he called me on my cell phone. After a few days Homer started running to the door, whenever he heard my phone. He wanted to greet my boyfriend:D
    By the way, Homer loves flies. They're flying toys for him:p

claudine, Jun 11, 2013
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Our cat learned to greet us when we come home. So, every time we will come home, our dog will block our cat's way so that he will be the first one greeting us. :p

zararina, Jun 14, 2013
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, Misha learned a similar behavior, but in a different way. When my Dad was hospitalized before he passed away, he would call me on the house phone to let me know what he needed. He invariably called when I was outside, in the bathroom, etc. So, the phone would ring and I would run to it. Misha would run with me barking because of the energy I was creating. After awhile, she started doing this every time the phone rang. I've tried to break her of the habit because sometimes she runs at you as if she needs to tell you "Hurry up! The phone is ringing!" If you've ever gotten you legs tangled with a small dog, you know that this can be dangerous.

Melody, Jun 22, 2013
  5. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Puppy (yes, we have a dog named Puppy) knows when he's done wrong. He chewed on the cars wiring! Even though nobody got mad at him, he knew he did wrong because he would look up at the guys as if expecting to be scolded on. Whenever someone looks at him, he'd have his ears held back. This is coming from a dog who's never been raised a hand at.

haopee, Jul 1, 2013
Ask a Question