When your dog goes wild

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm sure my dog is not the only one who acts like this from time to time. Every now and then she is filled with the urge to run crazy and wild. If she starts running, you need to get out of the way. Tiny Terrier Terror coming through. LOL

The other night she needed to go potty. The automatic sprinkles were on one section of the lawn. We had to squeeze by one to get to the dry side. Misha is terrified of the sprinklers and hates getting wet. But, she did it. I guess she really needed to pee. LOL

When we got in the house, I toweled her off. She doesn't like that either.

When I let her go it was as if she was suddenly set free from prison. The horror of running through the sprinkler was over. For about 5 minutes, she ran wild. She'd run down the hall, stop. Then, she'd turn and run the other way. Eventually, she landed on my bed where she mounted an attack against my pillow. She does this by digging furiously on top of it. It's like she is running in place.

Finally, she breathed a sigh and she was done. Wild running spree over.

Does anyone else's dog do this?

Melody, Sep 5, 2012
  2. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Yes, actually. I had a terrier mix that would do this right after we gave her a bath as a matter of fact. We had a nickname for this, used to call it "the rips" since she was ripping through the house like a maniac. She was cool with letting us give her a bath, I just thought she was trying to dry off or something.

Sometimes she would just do it randomly if we were playing with her and got her excited.

OhioTom76, Sep 5, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

OhioTom, Misha also does it randomly. Sometimes I'll be in one of the rooms and she'll go streaking by several times. She might do it during play if she gets too wound up. It's funny to watch.

It's kind of nice. She tires herself out. Nothing like a dog that can play alone.

Melody, Sep 5, 2012
  4. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer was often running wild when he was a puppy. It was adorable and he was so fast! He especially loved running when we had a carpet, without it it would be too slippery I guess. Now he unfortunately doesn't run like this anymore, I think he is just too lazy:p

claudine, Sep 6, 2012
  5. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

Wow sounds like you had a fun filled evening. My dogs act alittle overly happy I'll call it when all the kids are home. Only when everyone gets here at first. 10 or so minutes they settle down. They run back and forth, spin in circles, jump from lap to lap and occasionally yippy bark. I think they act like this because they are happy the family is all together.

Pocs, Sep 6, 2012
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka does a crazy run around the house from time to time. I would hide a little as she comes tearing past and try and tag her. This encourages her to go as fast around the house again. Eventually she will get too exhausted and we have a good laugh together. :D

argon_0, Sep 7, 2012
  7. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

LOL Argon! That adds a little challenge to the game.

My Lab did wild running for the first 3 years. Something would possess her and she would run at full speed blindly. You had to be careful because she would run across the tops of the couches with people sitting on them. She'd also bang into you if you were standing. I used to watch my niece and nephew quite a bit. They were 8 and 5 at the time, I believe. I had to teach them to stand in place because running away from her made her going even crazier. You became a target. Once she was done bouncing off of everything, she'd walk away slowly as if her job was done. Thankfully, she grew out of it. A 75-80 lb. dog barreling at you at full speed can be dangerous.

Misha's is different. It's more like she is playing a game with herself. I get a kick out of watching her.

Melody, Sep 7, 2012
  8. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

LOL! I just got a mental image of that, and that's true they do do that. My friend once tried to convince me that his great dane would pull me on a sled. The dog was so wound up that he instead turned around and came after me, I had this darn dog chasing me down the street with a sled tied to his neck. He wouldn't stop until he tackled me (just licked my face, wasn't trying to bite me or anything).

OhioTom76, Sep 14, 2012
  9. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

OhioTom, that is exactly the way it was with my Lab. She wasn't charging out of aggression or to hurt anyone. She was running with wild abandon.

The problem is if a 75 lb. dog runs full speed at you and decides not to stop you will be the loser. You'll get plowed down. LOL It happened to me a few times before I realized that running away excited her even more. So, I would stand in place and she'd bounce off of stuff like a pinball. Eventually, she'd poop out. It was almost like she had to do it and once she was satisfied, she was done.

Melody, Sep 14, 2012
  10. Melody

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs go crazy after they get wet, too. They'll run through the house, rolling and jumping all over the place. My first dog would also go crazy after baths. Maybe dogs are like grimlins, but instead of turning into monsters after getting wet, they just get massive adhd.

Nick87, Sep 28, 2012
Ask a Question