What's your dog's favorite activity (after eating, that is)?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kinser, Apr 24, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

My dogs both go nuts when we pull out their leashes. I used to have only one pair of shoes I wore while walking them, so they'd go nuts when I'd pick up those shoes, too. My dogs love, love, love to go for walks. I think it's their favorite thing ever. Such simple-minded beasts, LOL. What does your dog love to do?

kinser, Apr 24, 2012
    LilAnn likes this.
  2. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

After every meal, our dog walk inside our compound and play with our neighbor's male puppy. He sometimes just go near the gate and guard there or look for stray dogs to bark for. LOL

zararina, Apr 24, 2012
  3. kinser

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka just loves balloons. My daughter made a video of her.

argon_0, Apr 25, 2012
  4. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Sleeping. They love going for runs, of course, but it's not something that they want to do all the time. They would prefer to sleep. I think that's because they are saving up energy to do guard duty at night when I am asleep. So far I have never found any of my dogs sleeping at night.

btw is Mishka a Border Collie?

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
  5. kinser

christina Member

After my dogs eat they go to sleep! I bet they get that from my husband! My dogs usually run all over the neighborhood at night and usually during the day.

christina, Apr 26, 2012
  6. kinser

Either that or your husband learned it from your dogs. I think after some time dog owners and their dogs would begin to have many things in common. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2012
  7. kinser

Jessi Well-Known Member

Same here!

He gets really excited -before- food, but after he eats, he's quite content and just goes to lay down. We have a fenced in backyard so we don't really go for walks. He can go out whenever he wants, so he doesn't really have a routine like that to get excited for.

Jessi, Apr 27, 2012
  8. kinser

Hi there Victor. Mishka is a Border Collie/ Smithfield cross
    http://www.bordercolliekennel.nl/bc..gif This gif is of a border collie cross I found on the net.

argon_0, May 2, 2012
  9. kinser

kristyleann Member

My dog loves to play with/attack plastic pop bottles. I don't know why, I think it's because when she pounces on it, it slides away and it kind of makes her feel like it's trying to escape. I've been meaning to film her doing it for a while now because she gets so into it, it's hilarious.

For some reason I've never really been able to get her to play with actual dog toys except for these little rubber squeaky toy fish, but she literally tears them into tiny pieces within a few minutes so I stopped wasting money on them.

I'd prefer her to play with dog toys but of course I keep an eye on her when she plays with pop bottles to make sure she doesn't hurt herself.

kristyleann, May 2, 2012
  10. kinser

The Border Collie is rated as the most intelligent of all the dog breeds. The Smithfield, from what I have read, is, sadly, dying out as a distinct breed. So you have a gem there. Has Mishka got any puppies to perpetuate the Smithfield lineage?

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  11. kinser

I hadn't known that the Smithfield was dying out as a breed. I was told that here in Tasmania the Collie Smithfield cross is very common as a cross breed.The weather can get snowy and I guess the breed of long haired sheepdogs was important as sheep are raised a lot in the higher country.I found this link of an article from 1978. http://www.shepherdswithbeardies.com/History/Similar Breeds/Smithfield/RoyButlerArticle.htm
    Mishka was spayed at an early age. Because of this she is very homely and does not have dogs following her. I have had dogs in the past that had puppies. It's always a chore to find homes. Mishka's favourite activity today is snoozing at my feet as I type away here.
    It's so wet outside today and there's nothing worse than a wet dog coming inside.

argon_0, May 3, 2012
  12. kinser

I was only going by what little that I had read about Smithfields. Good to know that they are thriving. Maybe the articles I read were talking about the pure-bred Smithfields.

Victor Leigh, May 3, 2012
  13. kinser

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Frida's favorite activity nowadays is to run loose on the fields :) She loves running loose, running as far as she can! But she always comes back! We have a little field where I live, I take her there often. Sadly they are starting to build houses nearby, so soon this place will be full of new houses.

Trellum, Jun 11, 2015
  14. kinser

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I think my girls like to relax after eating and will sometimes fall asleep. When they get up I better be ready to let them outside to do their business. The opening poster spoke about how her dogs love, love to go for walks and so do mine. Ginger is not as keen but I know she'll get there. Right now I suppose the girls Remy and Zola are mad at me as the walks have been very sporadic.

Winterybella, Jun 11, 2015
  15. kinser

mkCampbell Active Member

King likes to walk around the back yard like he's walking off a pizza and a beer. Then, nap time! During the summer as he get's older we really try to keep him calm after eating. Every once in a while he chase a squirrel or something after eating and get sick. So we do something like the "don't go swimming for 30 minutes after you eat." Then, open the door and watch him chase squirrels for a while.

mkCampbell, Jun 12, 2015
  16. kinser

LilAnn Well-Known Member

It depends on the dog, really. The old man bowser likes to go in the front yard when I'm working out there

The old girl bendy likes to nap an awful lot.

Bri likes to jump their fence and go do stuff she probably isn't supposed to.

Little miss likes being a carpet muncher. Well, cushion licker would be more accurate.

Buster is all about the walks! It's really hard for me to take one of the other dogs because he goes nuts. He thinks if he can push them out from in front of the door, he'll get to go instead.

And little Ann has a thing about the grass. All she wants to do outside is run, roll, and eat the grass

LilAnn, Jun 12, 2015
  17. kinser

Winterybella Well-Known Member

20150613_175022_resized.jpg This is her favourite activity period. I need to get her a king size bed. One Zola Wynter

Winterybella, Jun 15, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  18. kinser

claudine Well-Known Member

Winterybella - haha, she's so cute!!!:)

Homer's second favorite activity (after eating:p) is playing fetch. He can do it for hours. I don't know where he gets so much energy!;)

claudine, Jun 16, 2015
  19. kinser

LilAnn Well-Known Member

They ALL love going for walks with me! other than that, my 2 3 yr old enjoy jumping the fence and exploring. The 8 year old has been sleeping a lot with these hot days. She likes being taken into the side yard and set loose . Buster likes defending himself against the flying puppy. And little Ann enjoys running back and forth between the kitchen and living room as fast as she can, repeatedly, until at the perfect moment she doesn't slow down, she just jumps, and will fly a few feet at least, towards buster's head. She'll knock the 'u know what" out of him, too.

LilAnn, Jul 4, 2015
  20. kinser

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog loves to play fetch. When he sees a ball, he goes nuts begging by jumping up and down, barking, whinning, and turning around. We have two big tennis balls sitting outside, and some soft balls for indoor.

IcyBC, Sep 2, 2015
Ask a Question