What would you do if your dog bit someone?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Jul 6, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Fortunately, it hasn't happened to us, Homer hasn't bit anyone yet. But I keep thinking what would I do in a situation like this. It's my new phobia. After all, Homer is pretty aggressive, so it's better to be prepared, especially since so many strangers don't listen to me and want to pet him despite my warnings.

claudine, Jul 6, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Firstly I think I would die.If it's not a serious wound but one of those bites that hurt and haven't broken the skin I would beg forgiveness on my dogs behalf and secure it so the bitten person feels safe. Then I would go into panic mode and hope it's not reported to the authorities.
    If Homer is a bit aggressive it would be important that no one tries to pat him without your permission. Some people though think they have the right to pat any dog.
    A neighbour of mine had an aggressive dog and whenever I visited I totally ignored it. Another friend thought he was a dogs best friend and after being warned never to pat the dog went ahead and did so. The dog gave him a nasty bite with a wound. No telling some people.:rolleyes: The dog died of old age and it took me some time not to feel it's presence about when I visited.:eek:

argon_0, Jul 8, 2013
  3. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

We used to have an aggressive dog. A drunk neighbor trespass in our compound since there is a near toilet inside which he think he can freely use without permission. So, he was bitten by our dog.
    He does not complain of course and pay for all his own medications or shots.
    And yes, he is aware that we have a dog. :p

zararina, Jul 10, 2013
  4. claudine

Aragon_0, I would go into panic mode too. It would be such an awful situation.
    Zararina - was the drunk neighbor bitten badly? Why did he needed shots and medications?
    But I ageree, it was his fault, your dog was protecting you.

claudine, Jul 10, 2013
  5. claudine

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I would warn people not to pet the dog, and then because he weighs 10 pounds I would pick him up and walk away saying "Sorry, I can't let you pet this dog."

Somehow if the person broke through my defenses and pet the dog anyway and got bitten, I would burst out crying and say "Oh no, now this dog is going to die because you insisted on petting it. The authorities will say it's a vicious dog and euthanize it." I would cry my eyes out until the person gave up and left.

ACSAPA, Jul 16, 2013
  6. claudine

Crying your eyes out might actually work. Never underestimate the power of tears:p . Some people don't realize that the authorities will euthanize the dog if they report the biting incident. It's not like every dog that bites is aggressive. Sometimes dogs bite to protect themselves and they shouldn't be punished for it.

claudine, Jul 20, 2013
  7. claudine

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I live in fear of this day. If it was someone I knew I would be mortified and apologize profusely. If it was someone I didn't know I would beg them to forgive me and offer to pay any of their medical expenses necessary.

MakingCents, Jul 20, 2013
  8. claudine

Melody Well-Known Member

I would also go into panic mode. I would be worried the person was injured.

In my county, if your dog bites someone and it is reported, there is an automatic 10 day quarantine at the animal shelter. Then, depending on the situation, sometimes the dog is put down. Because Misha can sometimes be fearful or overly protective, I worry about this. She went through a bad period where she was biting people--including me. There was a time when you couldn't even touch her without expecting a growl. (I've written about it. It was after my Dad died.) She has grown out of it, but can sometimes be startled into a reaction.

This is why I've tried to talk to my nieces and nephews and have everyone be informed. You can't just grab her, for instance, which is what my younger nieces do with their own dogs. If strangers approach us, I tell them she is afraid of people and may bite. This way they don't reach down and try to pet her.

She really has improved a lot. But, there are still quirks in her behavior. This is why when she goes to the vet she gets a sedative. It's for everyone's safety.

Melody, Aug 11, 2013
  9. claudine

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Exactly, I would make sure that the person knew my dog could be euthanized because of the incident and I would basically make that person feel like they signed my dog's death warrant by touching him. By the time I was done crying my eyes out, that person would feel like a killer and hopefully not report the biting incident.

I don't want any stranger to touch Stefano and if they insist on it and he bites them, then it's really their fault and I will lay the biggest guilt trip on them in the world.

ACSAPA, Aug 11, 2013
  10. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

I'm really into preventing this type of situation so when my pet was months old I started socializing her frequently. I exposed her to different people constantly till she got use to being hugged and patted by strangers. Now that she's fully grown I've realized that even though she has been thoroughly socialized she still might respond differently to the energy of different people. I try to keep her from nervous, edgy and loud people who project negative energy. As for calm friendly people I'm fine with them patting her head.

trishgl, Oct 23, 2013
  11. claudine

You never know what can scare or annoy your dog. They're pretty unpredictable. But I think that it's a great idea to expose your dog to different people when he is still a puppy. I regret not doing it with Homer. I've always felt that I need to protect him, so I've never let any strangers touch him, even when they were calm and friendly:(

claudine, Oct 26, 2013
  12. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

We had a dog when I was little, ad I had a friend, but once the dog decided to bit my then friend then I had no friend no more :( She was my best friend, but we stopped talking after my mom's nasty and vicious dog bite her. I often wonder what it would have been like if this had never happen and if we were still friends... there were very few kids in the neighborhood, so I had a very lonely childhood thanks to this incident... so very lonely...

Trellum, Mar 14, 2015
  13. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

My dog has never bitten anymore and I dread it ever happening. Many seem to think my bigger dog is a threat and I have had numerous complaints about her trying to get over the wall and it honestly concerns me. It's one of biggest fears.

Winterybella, Mar 15, 2015
  14. claudine

Yeah, things can never go well when one's dog bite someone :( Is it possible you can make your walla bit higher? We had to do that with ours :O Well, right after he bite my best friend back then :( A little too late...

Trellum, Mar 15, 2015
  15. claudine

This is really sad!:( A child should never be lonely. I can imagine how unhappy you were.
    When I was a little girl, I was scared of dogs. I thought that they're dangerous. Now I know that most of them are sweet:) Homer often bites me, but he has never harmed me. He just likes when people fear him;)

claudine, Mar 15, 2015
  16. claudine

Brentnauer New Member

I don't know that I'd ever be comfortable having a dog who had the temperament to bite someone, even when provoked. We have a basset and a mixed breed dog, both of which are thankfully as docile and tolerant as they come. If they DID bite someone, it'd likely be out of necessity, and I'd have to take responsibility for what happened. Hopefully it'd work itself out, but a dog biting someone probably rarely goes unactioned.

Brentnauer, Mar 15, 2015
  17. claudine

worldmachine Member

If my dog bit someone i hope i would deal with the situation better than when i have been on the receiving end of dog bites. I was a postman for ten years and was bitten six times by people's while on delivery. I never had a single apology from any of the owners who had all allowed their dogs to run loose. During one incident i was severely attacked and left in agony with a serious leg wound, the owner just said 'he doesn't usually do that' and just shut the door. The owner was later arrested i'm pleased to say.

I would never allow my dog to be in a position to bite someone and it has been properly trained not to do so.

worldmachine, Mar 16, 2015
  18. claudine

It really was :( I often wonder how things would have gone if that incident had never happened, for sure we'd still be friends me and that girl, plus I'd have had kept other friendships from the neighborhood as well. After that I had to make friends from outside the neighborhood :( Ah well, it's in the past now :) Maybe those little bites are a way for Homer to let you know he is very happy or excited :)

Trellum, Mar 16, 2015
  19. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Twice my husband made the wall higher. I have to say if he has to raise it again I suspect it's going to look like the Tower of Babel and you won't be able to see the house. We are all convinced the dog can't scale the wall. What concerns me is if someone in fright runs into the busy street thinking it can.

I had considered some kind of shock device but it seems a little cruel and I am not even sure it's available here or if it works. Where my dogs are concerned this is the one worry I have especially for the bigger dog.

My smaller girls have a lot of bark and no bite. There are like me:).

Winterybella, Mar 17, 2015
  20. claudine

Hehehehehe!!!! Well, in all honesty... and from a legal point of view, I can tell you that you can't be held responsible if something like that happens. You would be if your dog attacked the person directly, but otherwise no. Maybe you should hang one of those signs: ''Beware of the dog'', that could help greatly, so the dog doesn't take anyone by surprise. That might work :)

Trellum, Mar 17, 2015
Ask a Question