What is the best trick your dog can do?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Pocs, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

Gizmo is invaluable, without any real training he started picking up the tv remote control and bringing it to us. One day, my hubby and I were looking for it, Gizmo found it sticking from under the chair, grabbed it and brought it to me. We put it across the room on the floor and asked him "where's the remote ". from that point on whenever we ask, if he sees it or can find it, he'll bring it right on over.

Per pervious thread.. Gix, He's a excellent fly chaser, no training needed! LOL

Pocs, Aug 11, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. Pocs

Shepherd Well-Known Member

My dog, Flomar, is a one of a kind escape artist. This is one of his many tricks that I'm not quite so fond of- haha!

He can get out of just about any harness. He has learned to open regular doors and sliding doors. One of the craziest things he does is open the garage door at my dad's home. We hang the garage door opener by the front door. He's tall enough to reach it and will push the button with his nose to open the garage door. His food is kept in the garage, and we've speculated that is the cause of the behavior. But who knows, really?

My mom lives in the city, and we had to put sliding bolts on the doors to keep Flomar from getting out and gallivanting around the neighborhood.

Flomar is the same way! It was actually kind of bad at one point. He's so large that he knocked off a lot of the pictures in the house. Luckily, nothing was broken at the time. We all had a good laugh at that one.

Shepherd, Aug 11, 2012
  3. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Pocs I need a remote control finder. I was only saying last night maybe if I whistle the remote control would be found. I whistled and Mishka came instead.:rolleyes:
    What is the best trick Mishka can do? Give me time to think about that one.

argon_0, Aug 12, 2012
  4. Pocs

haopee Well-Known Member

Pocs, I think you should grab the opportunity to train Gizmo to find the car keys and phones as well. LOL. I'm sure it will save you a lot of time and effort in the future.

Peanuts has this thing she used to do when she wants attention. She would stand on her hind legs with one paw lightly scratching my shoulder (I'm sitting in front of the computer). And if that doesn't get my attention, she'd do the scratch again and place her head on my shoulder and wait for me to see her "I need you to look at me" stare.

There's also the self initiated workout she does where in she runs from one end of the room to the other end of my bed room repetitively until she gets tired if she wants to go to rest. No need for walkies anymore.

haopee, Aug 13, 2012
  5. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

@haopee
    Lol. I have thought of that, I would rather train him to go warm up the car durning the winter. I hate having to do that. So far, Gizmo shows no interest, but I keep trying. LOL

Peanut sounds adorable, what a cleaver way to gain your attention. She must really love you.

Pocs, Aug 13, 2012
  6. Pocs

nikki Well-Known Member

Butch plays dead. But the kicker is he will lay there and appear to not even breathe for a very long time!!!

Gigi isnt quite so cooperative. She will play along but ultimately she is unimpressed by treats or affection. She always seems so annoyed by my requests. She is such a sassy teenager!

nikki, Aug 13, 2012
  7. Pocs

haopee Well-Known Member

That's really sweet of you to say that. Dogs can do the darnedest things.

Infact, I bet the reason why Gizmo isn't interested in warming up the car during winter is due to the lack of motivation. Maybe you should bait him with a big juicy bone attached to your car keys and another one inside the car... try peanut butter this time.:)

haopee, Aug 15, 2012
  8. Pocs

claudine Well-Known Member

Your dogs can do so many amazing tricks! I'm jealous. Mine is too lazy to learn and he is never really willing to listen to me. He is little but very lordly:p . Most of the times he just does what he wants. He can sit down when I ask him but only when I have a treat in my hand. Without it he'll ignore me:confused: .

claudine, Aug 19, 2012
  9. Pocs

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

My little Pommy rolls over the cutest way! OK, so it's just a roll, but sometimes he tries so hard and is in such a hurry that he goes through a half motion, rolls his eyes, and considers that to be his roll over...LOL! It's really funny when I ask him to sit, lay down, and then roll over. For the most part, he waits and does each of these on command. But sometimes he knows what I'm going to ask so he gets in a hurry and tries to do all three at one time...which turns out pretty crazy. Got to love him for trying!!

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 7, 2012
Ask a Question