What do you do when your dog is driving you nuts?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Misha was in one of those moods tonight. At 5:30 she decided she wanted to play. We played, but then, she didn't really want to play. She kept bothering and pestering me for the next hour. I tried different things like hiding a toy in a box. She was afraid of the box, though. LOL She already had her treat ball and I didn't want to give her more food.

Finally, at 6:45 I had enough of being jumped on and hit on the leg. I couldn't get anything done. I picked her up and put her on the back of my chair. Then, I sat down and worked on the computer. Within 5 minutes she was asleep. I swear, sometimes it is like having a 5 year old around!

Does your dog ever get like this? What do you do when your dog is being a pest?

Melody, Sep 10, 2012
    Evilsprinkles likes this.
  2. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Usually just taking them for a short walk would calm them down. Or a car ride can sometimes calm them down too, If they're just bored, sometimes they need to get out and go sight seeing a bit. You could probably run some errands in the process and kill two birds with one stone.

OhioTom76, Sep 10, 2012
  3. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

How old is Misha? The reason I'm asking is when a dog is younger especially in puppy mode they have a tendency to want more attention then when they get older. They also have a tendency to want to play a great deal. I agree with the person who told you take her out when she acts like this. Sometimes getting a dog will help them settle down. As for what I do with my dog who is a pest, well I to begin with I gave him a name Buddy, LOL. Believe me this dog can be a pest, but fortunately he is now starting to listen to us when it comes to getting him to settle down.

pafjlh, Sep 10, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Pafjlh, She is 3 years old. She has matured quite a lot in the last 3 to 4 months and is coming around quite nicely.

She gets a lot of exercise during the day. She gets a walk every morning and sometimes a second one in the afternoon depending on my abilities and the weather. She gets played with a couple of times a day and gets her massages. She is not alone all day, so she gets plenty of interaction with people. She is also running around the house to the kitchen each time she thinks she hears someone get food. She doesn't lack for exercise.

I consider this her "toddler" mood. Have you ever been around a child who is so tired that they can't go to sleep? Then, they get kind of bratty and mean when they play. That was Misha last night. What she really needed was to give in to sleep. So, that's why I put her up on my chair. It freezes her. She is usually sound asleep in 2-3 minutes.

Melody, Sep 10, 2012
  5. Melody

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

He certainly does. He stands on the spot, and starts making low wookie noises, wagging his tail, and huffing and puffing. It's funny to watch initially, but then when he is told to calm down and doesn't, it gets a bit annoying. He'll also start barking, and because we live in some flats, we can't have him making excessive noise.

We discovered that putting his lead on, and making him sit down next to us until he settles down. He's usually asleep on the floor within about five minutes.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 11, 2012
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

When my Homer is bothering me I ask him if he wants me to let him sit at the top of the stairs. When he hears this, he is always very excited and immediately runs to the door. When he sits there, he can see the street and people passing by, so it's fun for him. He can sits there for about an hour and he doesn't want to come back, and I have some time for myself.

claudine, Sep 11, 2012
  7. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Our recent dog usually become uncontrollable when it was feeding time as he get too excited and when there are other dogs outside the gate. We just let him inside a room for certain time to be behaved.

zararina, Sep 11, 2012
  8. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I send him outside!

We have a backyard that's fenced in. On more than one occasion he's been going nuts and not listening, so I'll yell "Alright, enough, out!" and he'll run to the door because he knows he's pushed far enough, lol. I don't yell it in a mean way or anything.... just in a way that he knows I'm fed up and he's gotta go, hehe.

Jessi, Sep 11, 2012
  9. Melody

AutumnFaith2012 Active Member

Oh my gosh! My dog is the same way! He is sooo like having a little child around :) When he gets anxious and I can't figure out how to make him happy we just go on a walk. This helps him get that extra energy out! If that still doesn't work then I make him go to bed until he gets happy. Because he does act like a child, I often have to put him in time out which is usually a lock down in the bathroom or on the porch by himself. That usually works!

AutumnFaith2012, Sep 12, 2012
  10. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I would've shown you the scratch marks I've gotten from Whitey if I've remembered to take a picture of it. He gets riled up when I kneel on the floor to pick Chooey up to go upstairs. Seriously. He's a big dog and I get all this scratch marks because his paws aren't enough to get my attention. Even when I try to stop him, he will keep on coming at me. Even Buchi(the other Shih Tzu I have mentioned about) gets annoyed by Whitey and immediately growls at him the moment he attempts to approach me.

haopee, Sep 13, 2012
Ask a Question