What command is most important to teach your dog?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Melody

lovemyfurbabies New Member

The most important command I taught my amstaff/pit Athena is "leave-it." When we go for walks she thinks she can catch squirrels, it use to be birds too until she realized they can fly away, so that command has helped her let it go and keep walking. It has also been helpful with inside issues like when she has something she isn't suppose to have.

lovemyfurbabies, Apr 16, 2015
  2. Melody

Trellum Well-Known Member

That sounds like a really nice command :O My mom's miniature Schnauzer used to mess so badly with little critters :( He would have benefited form learning a command like that. Sadly my mom and I didn't know better back then :oops:

Trellum, Apr 16, 2015
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer understands "leave-it", but he often ignores it:( Usually, when I tell him to leave something, he tries to swallow it as quickly as possible:eek:

claudine, Apr 16, 2015
  4. Melody

Lol, oh nooooooooooooooooooo! Then that goes to prove he indeed understands that command, lol. He sounds like such a naughty little boy! I hope he is not always successful swallowing stuff!

Trellum, Apr 17, 2015
  5. Melody

He once found a big piece of old cheese in our garden. I think birds had dropped it there. He was so happy! Of course I didn't want him to eat it, so I told him to leave it, but he ignored me completely and swallowed it:eek:

claudine, Apr 17, 2015
  6. Melody

Oh nooo!!!! Did he get sick afterwards? I don't like birds to have contact with my dogs, but sometimes that is impossible to avoid. I don't like birds to drink from their bowl either, birds are full of so many germs and diseases. I hope your Homer didn't get sick!

Trellum, Apr 18, 2015
  7. Melody

Fortunately he didn't get sick, but I remember I was terrified. I heard many stories about people who drop poisoned foods in parks and gardens because they hate dogs. In fact, my neighbor's dog was poisoned a few years ago:(

claudine, Apr 19, 2015
  8. Melody

LilAnn Well-Known Member

"No!" I use that one all the time. If they look like they're going to the road, or decide to eat part of my house, and start getting snippy with each other. Its always the first one I try to teach them. And the sooner the better.

LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015
  9. Melody

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think "Come" would be on the top of my list! If my dog obeys that command I think it will eliminate many bad behaviors such as digging, chasing, and eating things that he shouldn't be doing. I am lucky that even in the heat of situations, my Capone still listens to Come and Stay command.

IcyBC, Jul 17, 2015
  10. Melody

thegrey1 Member

I agree with, "wait, stay or stop". They all pretty much serve the same purpose. To stay was probably the most difficult command we had to teach our dogs. They are both very hyper, and they didn't take kindly to it.

thegrey1, Jul 20, 2015
  11. Melody

Tomi Active Member

I would say stay and come. These two commands are essential to get a dog well on track in good manners. Somehow I find I use stay more often.:)

Tomi, Aug 29, 2015
Ask a Question