What command is most important to teach your dog?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

We all spend a considerable amount of time training our dogs. Our hope is that after a year or two of puppydom, they will turn into the well behaved dog we wanted--or something close. There are basic commands that every dog learns in dog training class. Then, there are the fun commands and tricks we teach them because they amuse us. All that training is difficult work, but it is well spent.

Of all the commands you've taught your dog, which do you think is most important? Is there one that you feel is important for all dogs to know? Are the commands important or the fact that your dog learns to listen to you and follow your lead?

Melody, Jul 12, 2012
  2. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

The one command that I teach my dogs is "Stop". It works for just about everything. When they bark at the wrong time, I say "Stop". When they chase after the cat, I say "Stop". That part about the cat only works with Dark Lady. She would skid to a halt the moment I say "Stop". Even when she's going full-speed after a cat.

Victor Leigh, Jul 12, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

"Stay." It's similar to Victor's "stop" command, but what we use for those. The main reason is because it can stop the dog in its tracks and keep him back from visitors, dangerous objects, etc.

Jessi, Jul 12, 2012
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I also think that "stop"is one of the most important commands our dogs learned or should learn. It is one sign of being a behaved dog. ;)

zararina, Jul 13, 2012
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I might put "come" at the top of my list because of the necessity of having your dog come to you on command. However, for us, "wait" is more important. I use "wait" similar to "stay". It means something different in dog training class, but for some reason, I give a firmer "wait" command than a "stay" command. I figure whatever works is fine by me.

This command has been really important for Misha to learn. As a small dog, it is easy for her to sneak around humans and get to the door. I want her to understand that in certain situations she must be patient and wait until she is released. You guys might be surprised after what I wrote about how she torments my Mom when she leaves the house that her "wait" command is really good. ;)

One of her problems was she got really excited when you went to get the mail. This is long after the mail carrier is gone. The box is on the wall outside the front door. For whatever reason, this gets her worked up. She is fine once she can smell the mail.

We've been consistently using the "wait" command without success. Then, all of a sudden this week, she gets it. She will wait until you bring the mail in. Today, she even stepped back from the door before I gave the command. That's what I call progress!

Melody, Jul 13, 2012
  6. Melody

Good to know that you are making progress with Misha. It's times like these when I see how dogs can be trained, that I wonder why humans beings cannot be taught even simple manners.

Victor Leigh, Jul 16, 2012
  7. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Victor, I've really noticed a change in Misha in the last two months. It has reminded me that dog training is a long process. You don't go to dog training class or watch a video and then have the best trained dog ever. It takes work every day, sometimes for a couple of years.

I noticed this weekend when her leg came up lame that she allowed me touch, poke, prod, and massage it. She would have never done this before. I have a feeling it's because my Mom gives her a massage every day. I always tease her about how spoiled my dog is. Misha is no longer afraid of being touched on different parts of her body. She trusts us now. It has to be the massages.

Misha had more problems than most, I'll admit that. But, I think it shows that if you keep at it eventually you'll break through.

Melody, Jul 17, 2012
  8. Melody

Good to know that you are making progress with Misha. Myself, I always think of dogs as little kids. Most of the techniques used to teach little kids can be applied to dogs. Things like treats and mild reprimands.

Victor Leigh, Jul 21, 2012
  9. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

I would have to say it would have to be "stop" or "come". Either of which can ensure safety for your pet as well as listening to your commands. Both can keep your pet from crossing or getting near traffic, fir example. With my boys these were taught closely together and used simultaneously, to ensure they followed each command.

Pocs, Aug 13, 2012
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I often use "go to sleep". Homer sometimes listens to me, sometimes not, but at least he knows that I'm busy when he hears it.
    Unfortunately, he doesn't react to "stay" nor "stop", he never has. But he always reacts to "treat time":p So I agree with Victor Leigh, dogs are like little children.

claudine, Jul 16, 2013
  11. Melody

Jezebella Member

I think it's really important for a dog to respond to the word stay. It can keep your dog from running into danger. Stop works as well. I think it general though it's really important to teach dogs a variety of commands.

Jezebella, Jul 23, 2013
  12. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

We live on a rural property without fences around our home. When we go out it's important that Mishka stays without wandering. There're two feral dogs that occasionally go past. ( I have proof with a wildlife video camera close by that records any animals that go past.) So it's been important that she behaves and stays. We give her a dental stick on our way out. We call them stay at home sticks. She seems to understand that she's required to stay. So Stay Home is important.

argon_0, Jul 23, 2013
  13. Melody

TheBrit Active Member

I have always trained my own dogs with the basics for being well behaved. My single command most used is "No", if the dog is close and looking at me it is accompanied with a pointed finger. It's a short command and depending on how it is delivered can mean "don't do that" to "stop immediately".

TheBrit, Aug 2, 2013
  14. Melody

When Homer was a puppy, he understood the world "yuck". If I didn't want him to eat something, I just had to say "yuck" and it was enough to make him leave it. I guess his first owner taught him this command. Unfortunately, Homer quickly learned to ignore it and now, when he wants to eat something, my words can't stop him.

claudine, Aug 2, 2013
  15. Melody

trishgl Well-Known Member

I think being able to train your dog to "stay" is very important. Its usually the starting point for other commands and important for certain behaviors. One of our issues and I'm sure its the same with other pet owners, is making sure your dog does not rush out of the house when you open the door to a visitor. In order to do this we initially told our chow to "stay" before we would open the door.

trishgl, Dec 9, 2013
  16. Melody

Trellum Well-Known Member

For me is ''NO''. When I get home and my dogs see me, they really want to jump over me and put their paws all over my clothes, but before they do that I just say: ''NO''. They get it straightaway! It took me a while to teach them that, it works for almost everything! I think that's the most important command I've taught them to obey :)

Trellum, Dec 20, 2013
  17. Melody

sushdawg Member

"Come" for me is the most important. I have a puppy right now that thinks "come" is another term for "run around and try to be chased," which is incredibly frustrating since she's such a good dog in other ways. I live on a rather busy road and if she ever gets out of our fenced area I want her to come when she is called. She seemed to really understand it around three months old, after only having her for a week or two, but now that she is five months, she seems to have regressed even though I try to practice it with her several times a day. Fingers crossed that she will grow out of this!

sushdawg, Mar 12, 2015
  18. Melody

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Right away "come" is what I was thinking. Yet, I see a lot of people have mentioned "stop" which makes a lot of sense. For now though "come" is going to have to mean "stop" as it is what they know best. When they come it means they had to stop whatever they are doing. Oh man, this is confusing.:) I am going to stop typing.

Winterybella, Mar 12, 2015
  19. Melody

Haha, I agree, it is confusing;) Homer sometimes comes to me when I call his name, but he does it only if I'm in the kitchen. He loves getting treats;) Sometimes I think he's the greediest dog in the whole world.

claudine, Mar 15, 2015
  20. Melody

Brentnauer New Member

"Wait" is my favorite - We're apartment folks so making sure they don't charge out the door before it's time is pretty helpful ;)

Brentnauer, Mar 15, 2015
Ask a Question