What colour is my dog seeing?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Yes, my friend still lives with her mom. They keep that dog in the garden and sometimes in the basement, he doesn't like being in the house.
    To be honest, I'm not sure what breed is he, because I've never seen him, but I know he's big and strong.

Australian cattle dogs are beautiful, but I'm sure they can be very dangerous if not trained well.

claudine, Jan 2, 2016
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yes, they can be quite vicious specially if it's your first Australian cattle dog, because they have a tendency to be extremely dominant and authoritarian (after all the are breed to take care of cattle), so if you don't show that dog you are the boss since the dog is little, then the consequences will be very big D:

As for your friend... why doesn't the mom get rid of that dog? If it terrorizes her daughter so much, why keep it? Isn't your friend upset about that? I'd be if my mom did that.

Trellum, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Winterybella

My friend is extremely upset, but she can't do anything. Her mom insists on keeping that evil dog. She loves him and finds excuses for everything he does:(

I don't think I could be an owner of an Australian cattle dog. I simply can't say no to puppy eyes;) My Homer thinks he's the boss;)

claudine, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Winterybella

Awww, I hope your friend can move out from that house, sharing a place with an evil dog that has sent you to the hospital must be awful. Hopefully she can move out soon! I sure felt such a huge relief when I finally moved out from my parents place the first time! And they didn't even have a big evil dog ;) The aussie cattle dog had already died by then.

Trellum, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Winterybella

She wants to move out, but she needs to find a job first and it's not easy, because she's still a student:( I can't imagine how awful it must be to live with the evil dog. He's so aggressive and unpredictable. I don't think I could fall asleep if I knew he's around.
    One of his favorite activities is killing cats and other small animals:(

claudine, Jan 10, 2016
  6. Winterybella

Oh no! Poor girl! I feel so sorry for her, because I used to be in her same situation :( How old is she exactly? Things are so hard when you are still a student, even when you are done, because nowadays most people hiring are looking for experience :( But I hope she finds a good job soon so she can move out. By the way, has that dog ever bitten her mom?

Trellum, Jan 10, 2016
  7. Winterybella

She's 29, but she went to three different universities and studied there for almost 10 years before she found out what interests her the most, this is why she still hasn't gotten her diploma. I was a university student for over 10 years too:p
    And yes, the evil dog bit her mom at least once and she had to go to the hospital to get stitches too:eek::confused:

claudine, Jan 10, 2016
  8. Winterybella

Goodman Member

Mаny аdults think thаt dоgs аnd саts саnnоt sее аny соlоrs, оnly shаdеs оf grаy. But this is nоt truе. саts аnd dоgs саn sее sоmе соlоrs but nоt аll оf thеm. Sо in а sеnsе thеy аrе likе аdults whо аrе соlоrblind. саts аnd dоgs hаvе сеlls in thеir еyеs thаt rеspоnd wеll in bright аnd dim light. аt night, саts аnd dоgs usе сеlls саllеd rоds thаt аrе sеnsitivе tо dim light. Thеy аrе fоund in а lining аt thе bасk оf thе еyе саllеd thе rеtinа. Whеn light fаlls оn thе rоds, thеy sеnd а mеssаgе tо thе brаin tо еxplаin thе imаgе thаt thеy sее. Fоr thе bright light оf dаy, yоu nееd сеlls саllеd соnеs. But hаving соnеs in yоur еyеs аlsо mеаns thаt yоu саn аlsо sее соlоr. Humаns hаvе thrее kinds оf соnеs thаt аllоw thеm tо sее bluе, rеd аnd grееn. Sо humаns (аnd mоnkеys!) саn sее in full соlоr. Dоgs аnd саts оnly hаvе twо kinds оf соnеs sеnsitivе tо bluе аnd grееn light. Sо thеy dо sее sоmе соlоrs. By thе wаy, if yоu hаvе а hоrsе оr pоny аt hоmе, thеy hаvе rеd аnd bluе соnеs. Hоrsеs sее sоmе соlоrs, but thеy саn't tеll grееn frоm grаy.

Goodman, Jul 27, 2016
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I still think about this a lot. I like a lot of black but often I am sorry my girls can't appreciate some of the vibrant colours.

Winterybella, Jul 27, 2016
  10. Winterybella

LaneAlf Member

I spend a lot of years of my life thinking that dogs were completely colorblind, but the other day I read an article about this and they actually are not that color blind, I mean, obviously they don't see the world as we do, but they can somewhat perceive colors. And your dogs probably know that you're wearing a blue shirt because they see the difference in color compared to the things that you wear other days, I guess.

LaneAlf, Aug 10, 2016
Ask a Question