What are your leash and collar preferences?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Mar 22, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

I have short leashes for stronger dogs and longer ones for those who do not tug too much. Leash preferences depend on the owner's taste. Retractable leashes are great for training and walking smaller dogs. What are your personal preferences?

I pair the short leash with a choker while a harness is used for the longer one. The reason why I don't use long leashes on "pullers" is because they're hard to control. What kind of leashes and collars do you use when you walk your dogs?

haopee, Mar 22, 2012
  2. haopee

Mimij Member

I prefer to use the retractable leashes, offering at least 16 feet of cord. My minpins are wearing collars at this time. I used to use a harness on my youngest. I think the harness helps me keep control better than a collar. Now, the only time I use the harness is while hiking in unfamiliar locations. Other than that I'm comfortable with a small collar.

Mimij, Mar 22, 2012
  3. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I had used retractable leases, slip collar and Harnesses. But now we do not put any collar for our dog since he just stay inside the compound and our house. Hard to walk him in the neighborhood full of stray dogs.

zararina, Mar 22, 2012
  4. haopee

MakingCents Well-Known Member

We use a regular length leash and a pinch collar for our dog. It definitely works wthe best for him, he has responded amazingly well to the pinch collar.

MakingCents, Mar 23, 2012
  5. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have a retractable leash, but I rarely use it. We have a fenced in back yard, so the majority of the time, he's just free roaming when we let him out. The only times he has to have the leash is when he ends up getting loose (oops!) or we're taking him somewhere and will put him on the leash to go out to the car. He'd probably go straight to the car anyway because he loves it, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Jessi, Mar 23, 2012
  6. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I use a chain choke collar for my Bangkeaw. Not that I really wanted to but she was just too ferocious to be restrained in any other way when I take her out. Once she knew what the collar does, she does not pull at it anymore.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2012
  7. haopee

firelily99 Well-Known Member

I used a choke collar when he was younger but as he matured I was able to switch to a web type of a collar. He's a big dog and the leather ones were way too expensive. I have a standard size leash for him but he is mature enough and well trained so I rarely need to put him on a leash.

firelily99, Feb 24, 2014
  8. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I use a retractable leash. It's really long, so when we are in a park, Homer can run almost wherever he wants to, it's very convenient for both of us.
    I bought him a harness instead of a collar, because I was told that Yorkies have very delicate necks.

claudine, Feb 24, 2014
  9. haopee

firelily99 Well-Known Member

I carry a leash with me but my dog is so well trained that he really doesn't need it, he stays with me. The leash is mainly to reassure other people because he is a big dog. We use a web/cloth collar that happily is adjustable. He has one huge neck and it has been difficult to find something that would fit him.

firelily99, Mar 21, 2014
  10. haopee

Trellum Well-Known Member

I bought my dogs a harness, I feel more comfortable when I walk them and they are wearing one. I never felt comfortable with them wearing a collar and a leash, because one of my dogs really likes to pull. Now if she fulls I don't have to worry about the collar being too tight or applying too much pressure.

Trellum, Mar 22, 2014
  11. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

Same here. I think that collars look very cute on dogs, but using them always seems a little cruel to me. I know I wouldn't want to walk with something like this around my neck:p It must be so uncomfortable.
    This is the main reason why I bought Homer a harness. He likes to pull, too:confused:

claudine, Mar 22, 2014
Ask a Question