Waterless Shampoo

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

What do you think of the waterless shampoo for dogs? I have a bottle that I will spray on my dog for a quick fix if we have company coming over, but it really is not something that I would recommend. It seems to cover up the smell, but it still makes her fur feel oily and dirty. I am usually wanting to quickly give her a real bath instead.

dashboardc33, Oct 21, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

What kind do you use? I haven't seen one that you spray before. We have used a dry kind before and it worked really well. Oh, and there was a foam one that was quite nice. It didn't make him feel dirty or oily at all. It wasn't a real replacement for a bath ever, but it did clean him up and make him smell better.

Jessi, Oct 21, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

To be honest, I've never heard about this kind of shampoo for dogs. I think it might be very useful, especially for dogs who hate water - like my Homer. Of course a bath is still necessary from time to time, but I could bath him not so often if I had a shampoo like this:) .

claudine, Oct 23, 2012
    bellahpereira likes this.
  4. dashboardc33

iluvmario Well-Known Member

I have never heard of dry shampoo either. Do you know if someone has made a flea and tick dry shampoo. I have the flea and tick powder but dry shampoo would be awesome. Thank you for this post!

iluvmario, Oct 27, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

megsy23 Member

I never tried it but it would probably be useful. Do they have dry shampoo for fleas/ticks? Also, how often do you use it?

megsy23, Nov 2, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have used dry shampoo before. It's sort of like a powder. Just sprinkle it over the dog. Then comb it all out. The dog will smell fresh and clean just like it has just been bathed. Of course, the cost is higher than using the regular shampoo but it's good for a quick fix between baths.

Victor Leigh, Nov 3, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, they sure do. They just have shaker bottles filled with a powder that you can put on your animals....and on your floors and whatnot, too, to clear them out from there. How frequently you use it depends on if you currently have fleas, how bad they are, etc.

Jessi, Nov 3, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Not only are there dry shampoos for fleas but there are also specific anti-flea powder. Use them the same way as the dry shampoos. Sprinkle generously over the dog. Then comb it all out. One word of advice, though. Flea treatment must be taken as a whole process. You also need to de-flea the whole area.

Victor Leigh, Nov 4, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

bellahpereira Well-Known Member

I haven't heard about this - though I haven't been in the pet store in a while. It seems like it would only be useful for a quick fix and not a long-term solution. It would be convenient for many owners though. I'm not sure if it's the same but I have a spray that isn't a shampoo but it basically a cleaner for my birds and it helps them with their feathers and such. Maybe there's one for dogs that allows their fur not to get oily or provides more of a 'showered' feel - that would be more useful than a spray to postpone the inevitable shower time, :p

bellahpereira, Nov 6, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

We've used the spray on ones on occasion with our oldest dog, especially when she injured her leg and we didn't want to be picking her up and putting her into the stationary tub to give her baths while she was in pain. It was hard for me to say how effective it was really. All of our dogs had short smooth fur, and they stayed in the house most of the time, so they never really "stunk" to begin with. Her fur certainly didn't seem as fluffy and fresh as when we gave her regular baths, it was kind of matted down like she didn't have a bath at all. I've never tried the powder one on any of them, but I would question how effective that would even be in the first place.

OhioTom76, Nov 6, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

Nick87 Well-Known Member

I agree with you dashbordc33, it covers up some smell but it makes the dog so greasy. It's good if you're just trying to get rid of some smell or get some tangles out of the fur temporarily, but a real bath is best.

Nick87, Nov 7, 2012
  12. dashboardc33

Greasy? What kind of waterless shampoo is being used? All the ones I have tried did not leave behind any greasy residue. Of course I had to comb out all the waterless shampoo to get the dog really clean. Maybe it's the left-over waterless shampoo in the hair that caused the greasiness.

Victor Leigh, Nov 8, 2012
Ask a Question