Wait vs. Stay?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I have to admit that even though I've done training classes, I've got the two confused. Don't get me wrong. I know the difference between the commands. But for some reason, my wait command has always been stronger than my stay command, so much so, that I don't really even use stay anymore. My wait command has become my stay command.

I think it may be because I can say "wait" with a stronger tone of voice than "stay". My dogs must recognize that.

Do you use both commands? Do you find one works better than the other or are you able to use both in the right settings?

Melody, Aug 5, 2012
  2. Melody

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I actually use both on all three dogs...even though the only command Koko knows is "look cute" :rolleyes:

I use wait for situations where there is food or treats in front of them to establish that they can only have it when I give them the go ahead. I use stay for them to stay put when I leave them; for example I tell them stay at the bottom of the steps when I climb the steps to leave the house. Kotton is to the point that the only release command for her on wait is "Good Girl Kotton!" the others will take good girl or "ok" or "you can have it"

I get down and off mixed up because I trained Kotton to use down as a "drop wherever you are at into a lay position" type of command and off meaning to get off the furniture or similar situation. I lived with others when I got the two younger ones and trying to convince them that there was a difference between off and down was pointless so the three are trained differently...

pugskjj, Aug 5, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Is there much of a reason to use both? I see them as the same command usually anyway, so I only use one.

I have used both in the past, when training, as a difference between having them physically 'stay' in one place....versus 'waiting' to get their treat when it's held in front of them. Later on, though, we didn't continue doing the thing with treats anyway, so it didn't matter.

Jessi, Aug 7, 2012
  4. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

I try to use only one word for a command, that both boys understand. My sister on the other hand will use a different one per dog. Hers dogs are several years apart in age, her reasoning being she used whatever word came to her at the time for training. One dog it's fetch, another it's get and the third is bring, for example, too confusing for me. Of course she never has a 3 dog stampede, like me when sometime I say fetch and the boys both tear off for the toy.

Pocs, Aug 7, 2012
  5. Melody

firelily99 Well-Known Member

My dog understands that "wait" means to stay where he is although he can sniff around and pee on things until I catch up. "Stay" means to stay right where he is and not move from the spot until I release him.

firelily99, Feb 24, 2014
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer doesn't understand "wait", I only use "stay". He sometimes ignores it though.
    Maybe it's a little silly, but the word that works the best for us is "yuck". Whenever he hears it, he knows that he has to stop doing what he's doing.

claudine, Feb 24, 2014
  7. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

We use our local language for our dogs and other pets. We talk to them just like talking to a real person. :p
    I usually read/hear the "stay" command for dog trainings than wait so, I think the stay is more effective on most dogs(just an opinion). :p

zararina, Mar 10, 2014
  8. Melody

trishgl Well-Known Member

For my chow it is actually the opposite. We use "stay" more often than "wait". I suppose its because there are not a lot of situations where we need to use the "wait" command. "Stay" usually encompasses what we need of her behavior wise.

trishgl, Mar 21, 2014
  9. Melody

wanderingwildman New Member

I used to use wait when it was time to go for a walk. We would go to the front door. Then, I would say "wait." I am glad that you mentioned this Melody. I think that there is actually no difference. I would suggest using whatever command works better for the two of you. However, it is kind of ironic that stay worked much better for my dog. I could actually have him in a "down-stay" for about 5 minutes at the dog park. I miss my boy:)

wanderingwildman, Mar 25, 2014
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Wow, your dog must have been very patient! My Homer refuses to stay in one place when we are in a park. He runs from one tree to the other and barks at other dogs, he's so energetic and naughty!
    When it's time to go for a walk, he always starts jumping up and down like crazy, he ignores all my commands:p

claudine, Apr 4, 2014
  11. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm, interesting. So you would use 'wait' if you were out on a walk and he gets too far ahead of you, right? And then "stay" would be more for if you want him to sit in one spot before getting a treat, etc?

Jessi, Apr 9, 2014
  12. Melody

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I use both as it depends on the situation such as "wait" when I am feeding him, and "stay" when I play fetch with him. He understood both words, so now it doesn't matter if I messed up sometimes, lol..

IcyBC, Nov 12, 2015
Ask a Question