Under ground fencing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pocs, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

Underground fencing seems to be on the rise in my area. I have no first hand experience with them, we have just a small area fenced in, in the back yard, and besides my dogs are never out without me or my husband there. My opinions are based solely on what I have witnessed. Having a good time at a family BBQ, most of us were startled by a horrible whining and moaning coming from the side of the house. As we went to investigate we discovered a neighbors dog a Beagle/Russell breed, laying stiff on the ground making these god awful uncontrollable noises. My husband, tried to comfort the dog and began to pet him, noticing a blue collar with what seemed to a battery pack attached. As he moved the little guy, the pooch immediately sat up and even though he was a little dazed he was fine. Apparently the pet owners had a underground electric fence, the dog tried to cross the current, he got zapped, and the force caused him to fall on top of the current, causing continuous shocking. A few hours later it happened again, this time my husband went to owners to explain what had happened, their reply "oh, that happens all the time, he'll be fine". We were all shocked by his remark. The dog seemed to be well taken care, not counting the shocking, which started a debate at the BBQ on wether to call animal control or not. A call was made to animal control, but they did not come out to investigate, just noted the incident. Researching a little on my own, apparently this happens more than you would think. Many of the fencing companies state, although the pets are shocked it doesn't cause permeant damage, just a quick small current to warn your pet, and eventually your pets will learn to avoid crossing. This was not the case for that
    particular dog. Maybe that little guy just doesn't get it, like some humans, they just can't learn their lesson.
    Underground fencing was designed for people who don't like the look of regular fencing, and are just not safe for pets, in my opinion. After what I witnessed every time I pass a yard with those little flags outing a yard, I will think of that little dog, just tragic.

Pocs, Aug 2, 2012
  2. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I'ld never heard of such fencing. From what you have described it sounds dreadful. Are those fences designed specifically to keep your pets from digging under? If that dog owner was a true dog lover, I'm sure they would have come up with something else to keep their dog under control and not have been so dismissive of other peoples concern. I'm horrified.:eek:

argon_0, Aug 3, 2012
  3. Pocs

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I do not like any type of electric control, and that includes bark controllers. It is so unsafe to the pet because there are times where the lure of what is on the other side is just too great and the dog WILL go across and get electricuted...just because you don't want a fence...

pugskjj, Aug 3, 2012
  4. Pocs

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I really think that people who like things like electric fences should just get a dog like this:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Aug 3, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  5. Pocs

pugskjj Well-Known Member

LOL Victor I love it!!! This should be the type of dog that officer should have been allowed to have...

pugskjj, Aug 3, 2012
  6. Pocs

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Maybe they should start popularing the idea by making a movie about it. Something like "Bionic K-9 Patrol".

Victor Leigh, Aug 4, 2012
Ask a Question