Training to detect poisons

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by remnant, Jun 4, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

Some dogs tend to have their appetite on the higher side of things and its usually too late for them to detect poisons whenever someone decides to poison them. A simple technique to train dogs on this aspect is to training them by giving them some diluted poison which would engender some discomfort so that the canine would be able to detect such poisons in future if someone decides to poison them in future. Whats your say on this matter?

remnant, Jun 4, 2016
  2. remnant

amelia88 Well-Known Member

I don't know that I could do it to my dog, to be honest - I don't know that it's necessary in my area, since I've never heard of a dog being poisoned or anything. It's sad though that people deliberately set out to poison dogs that we even need to entertain the idea of getting our precious pups to have a small amount of poison so they'd know what they were getting!

Some people out there in this world are truly heartless :( I think anyone who preys on animals is the lowest of the low!

amelia88, Jun 9, 2016
  3. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to do this to my dog! He has a very sensitive stomach already, and if something goes wrong, I can't afford the vet bill.

I would leave this training to professional dog handler and have no need to do this at all.

IcyBC, Jun 9, 2016
  4. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My son told me that his friend just got a new puppy from a neighbor down the street. Apparently, someone poisoned the mother and she left seven puppies. These dogs were kept in a fenced in yard too so now the owner had to find homes for the seven puppies. I don't have the full story so I can't say why this sort of thing happened, but I just feel terrible for the puppies!

IcyBC, Jun 16, 2016
  5. remnant

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I'm glad that our dogs are easy to train when it comes to inedible. Like the frog and the snails which can sometimes have poison, we have trained our dogs not to play with frogs and snail. However, one of our dogs named Tisoy is very playful so when he sees a frog, he plays with it by pawing the frog. The frog's skin has hidden venom so it is not advisable to play with it. Even with lizards, Tisoy would chase a lizard not to kill but just to play with it. With snails, our dogs already know that they should not touch it.

Corzhens, Jun 16, 2016
  6. remnant

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I am not sure I could pull this off but I do worry my dogs are sort of greedy and might pick up the wrong thing. I would actually like to train my dogs to only eat from family.

Winterybella, Jun 16, 2016
  7. remnant

amelia88 Well-Known Member

Stories like that make me so mad/upset - I just always find myself asking "how can someone do that and be so heartless?"

I try and take comfort in the fact that there are so many animal lovers out there - I do hope all the puppies get good homes.

amelia88, Jun 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

The puppies all ended up in good homes! The owner kept two for themselves. I had to deal with bad neighbors last year when I was still at my old home; so I only let Capone out when I was out with him. The drunk, drugged man kept tossing bones and left overs to my yard for my dog to eat. He dragged back a bone, but I quickly got it from him and tossed it back. I have confronted him time after time, but when the guy was high and out of his mind, he did what he wanted.

So glad I don't live next to him anymore..

IcyBC, Jun 23, 2016
  9. remnant

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I remember your story with that neighbour @IcyBC. I am really happy that's behind you. It's quite sad about the poisoning of the mother of the pups. People do some horrible things. Sometimes I worry when my husband gets the garden done and my dogs go outside.At least one still likes to nibble on grass so it makes me kind of nervous whenever work is being done on the garden that requires pesticides. I am still trying to wrap my head around @remnant theory.

Winterybella, Jun 23, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I know for sure that I can't do that, @Winterybella and I don't live in en environment that I can let my dog roam the street or has to find food to eat. I get all freaked out when I see Capone is eating something that I didn't give to him already.

When he was a puppy he used to eat crickets, and all I can think of is the germs that got inside his belly, LOL. I had to call the vet to ask if it is ok.

I hope you don't have to use pesticide in the garden.

IcyBC, Jun 30, 2016
Ask a Question