Training against predation

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by remnant, Jun 23, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

Some dogs when let loose in the compound might decide to be adventurous and attack chicken or other domestic animals. Once they are exposed to this, it becomes hard or impossible to deter or prevent them from repeating the same action short of caging them. But those in the know or experience would be at a better position to give up alternatives to this. Anyone?

remnant, Jun 23, 2016
  2. remnant

cluckeyo Active Member

When my dog was a puppy, maybe a year old or so, she caught one of our baby chicks, it was maybe 6 weeks old. She was having a blast tearing that little chick apart when I caught her. I took it away from her and scolded her loudly in a firm voice and spanked her. The chick was not dead but injured. I treated it with triple antiobiotic for several days and kept it isolated. And my dog watched me do this for days. And I would fuss at her while I doctored the chick. Anyway, she never tried it again. I think she learned her lesson.

cluckeyo, Jun 24, 2016
  3. remnant

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Dogs are territorial so they tend to attack any other animal that they think pose a threat to them. And what we do, especially with the puppies, is to call their attention that it is not good to chase a frog in the yard or even a lizard in the living room. All we say is the word "dirty" and they would know it. However, we cannot curtail their propensity for barking at cats. Just the sound of a cat in the compound would make our dogs rise to the occasion with a chase and a matching bark. The word "dirty" doesn't work for them in case of cats.

Corzhens, Jun 24, 2016
  4. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog chases squirrels and stray cats! Although he is limited with space, and he has never harm any of them. I think it is his instinct that he chases them. As long as he has a good exercise out of it for a few second, I think it is ok. I would not like it if he hurt them.

Since you live in the compound, I don't think it is possible to put up a fence? Right now, I don't have a fence either, so I bought a long robe to hook my dog on when he needs to use the bathroom. This will limit his freedom, but it is safer for him.

IcyBC, Jun 30, 2016
Ask a Question