Tick problem

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Corzhens, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Since our 3 dogs are living inside the house, it is imperative that they are cleared of parasites. But recently, we have been finding ticks in their coat, one or 2. But this past week, there is already an infestation since the ticks number more than 10 in just one dog. We left the house and had it sprayed with insecticide. For the exterior, we used water with liquid dish washing soap. That was last Monday. Yesterday, Tuesday, there was 1 tick found and the other dog had 2. We are still in the process of observing.

By the way, our dogs are armed with Frontline, the spray on the coat that lasts for weeks to repel the ticks... but is not effective at all.

Corzhens, Feb 10, 2016
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Oh no! You have a real battle on your hands and I hope you will find a way to combat it once and for all. I hate fleas and ticks and right now, we are in winter so Capone is not at risk.

I agree, Frontline doesn't do the job because Capone had that before and he still got fleas in the summer. I am considering switching to Advantix II very soon. My neighbor uses this on their dog, who lives outside most of the time, in the dog's pen. Maybe you could try to see if you can get Advantix II; they are available on Amazon.

IcyBC, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

That's a lot of ticks:( It's awful. I hate ticks more than anything, they terrify me:(
    We tried Frontline too and it didn't work at all. Insect repellent collars are much better. Unfortunately, they're rather expensive.

claudine, Feb 10, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I know you hate them Claudine. Some time ago when my girls had them they looked like millions and I swore if you had seen them you would have passed out. @Corzhens my husband bought something called Nexgard and it must have worked although I think it's time to treat them again so that they do not get reinfected. I hear the collars work as a preventative measure but fail when there is already infestation. Right now I am going with the Nexgard as even my Taktic did not work last time. It's important to have the grass sprayed and kept low as well. I think that was my problem.

Winterybella, Feb 10, 2016
  5. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, yes, I think it's very possible I would have passed out:p Even the smallest ticks scare me, they're the most disgusting creatures in the whole world. My mom used to remove ticks from Homer. Now, I'll have to do it, but just thinking about it makes me want to run away.
    Ticks are nasty:confused:

claudine, Feb 10, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  6. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

The fumigation we did - by spraying insecticide in all the nooks and cranny of the house yielded good results. After 3 days, the ticks stopped coming. Our dogs are free from ticks for almost a week now and we are happy about that development. However, we still don't have a clue on the origin of the ticks and why they attacked our dogs. But not seeing ticks anymore is good enough for us, at least for the moment.

Corzhens, Feb 22, 2016
  7. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I assume that the ticks from the outside then, since you inside is free of ticks? I dreaded the fleas season already when summer is coming around. I love warm weather, but just hate the fleas. Capone has flea last summer no matter what I do, and it was so much work trying to keep him free from it.

IcyBC, Feb 22, 2016
  8. Corzhens

I am so happy you got results @Cozhens. I saw one tick in my house recently and I got so worried. I don't see anymore so far but God knows I am very concern. My girls are back to they normal selves and I am happy having them all over me. When those ticks appear I get all standoffish and my girls must tell the difference. I have heard conflicting reports about how ticks emerge from the weather to grass and other stories but when you read comments like the ones below it gets you a little worried.
    http://www.petsandparasites.org/dog-owners/ticks/

Winterybella, Feb 22, 2016
  9. Corzhens

Trellum Well-Known Member

Best of luck! Winning a fight against those parasites is very hard, I know because we had a really bad tick problem in the past, we had to hire a professional just to make sure there wouldn't be any ticks left in our house. It's so scary, those things can hide in crevices for a long time then come out when it's warm enough... ugh!

Trellum, Feb 22, 2016
  10. Corzhens

Well so far so good but it is sooo hot as we speak I am nervous. The last time they had them I have to say I was almost in tears. I am quietly praying they never come back. I hope things are still going good with @Corzhens dogs.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Winterybella, Feb 28, 2016
  11. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

One of the best ways of dealing with fleas and ticks is to pick them up when you come across them. They are the most responsible for laying eggs which hatch into ticks. Spraying dog kennels with insecticides to fumigate them is very crucial in order clear them from the source. This should be done on a regular basis for example bimonthly till the problem is eliminated.

remnant, Aug 17, 2016
  12. Corzhens

mkhtk79 Member

We used to use topical flea and tick medicines but switched both of our dogs to Ivermectin injections every 60 days. It works way better, at least for us. Plus you don't have to deal with any sprays of chemicals.

mkhtk79, Jan 22, 2019
Ask a Question