This vet says let them drink the toilet water

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Winterybella, Sep 11, 2015
  2. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Ok, those are reasonable things to fathom, but the picture of my dog drinking out of the toilet bowl still just doesn't sit right with me. He did drank from it once or twice when he was younger, but not anymore. Yes, it wouldn't kill the dog, but that is a habit that I want to foster.

IcyBC, Sep 12, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  3. Winterybella

tajnz Well-Known Member

Even if it's perfectly hygienic, I'd still feel uncomfortable letting my dog drink out of a toilet bowl. Thankfully she's too short to try at least haha!!

tajnz, Sep 12, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

No, I don't like the idea she drinks from there... we use one of those big pills that color the after blue when you flush it. So I definitely think isn't a good idea to let my girl drink from there :O Even if you don't use that... is just not hygienic at all to let them do that. That vet is crazy.

Trellum, Sep 13, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  6. Winterybella

The crazy vet has some company Well I have seen some pics where the big dogs can reach and use it like a bowl. Zola can't reach like that but she has tried to reach when you flush.

Winterybella, Sep 13, 2015
  7. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

I think it's a little disgusting;) Fortunately, Homer is very small, so he can't reach the toilet water. He has never tried to do it. I put his water bowls in every room to make sure he isn't thirsty.

claudine, Sep 14, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, no wonder! So he has a personal interest in this :p I'm not surprised at all then that he is saying such a thing. I don't trust so called ''professionals'' when they say this kind of things and they have a personal interest. It creates conflict of interests. Reminds me of the biological chemist who said that we shouldn't worry about formaldehyde resin in nail polish... he works in that industry.

Trellum, Sep 14, 2015
  9. Winterybella

KimmyMarkks Active Member

When my sisters dog was a puppy she would drink from the toilet all the time. I never understood it because she always put a fresh bowl of water out for the dog. The dog would also sit in the bathtub when the shower was dripping and lick the water. I think there was something about running water she enjoyed.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  10. Winterybella

Well two of mine like to come lick up the water from the shower. It's not something I encourage. There might be some truth to the running water thing that intrigues some KimmyMarkks.

Winterybella, Dec 10, 2015
  11. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the chemicals we used to clean the toilette bowl, and it is just too dangerous for me to let my dog drinks from there. Even if the toilette bowl is brand new, there is still the matter of things in the water itself, isn't it?

Well, he is a vet so if there is anything wrong with his dog, he can fix it free of charge; but for me I have to come up with the money to shell out to pay!

IcyBC, Mar 5, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  12. Winterybella

• That"s so true @IcyBC. The vet can take care of the dog so he can take that position. Whenever I let my big dog in the house he finds his way to my room and the bathroom. I have to make sure the seat is down
    • One small dog likes to be around when I flush but she can't reach.

Winterybella, Mar 5, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  13. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer has never tried to lick up the water from the shower. He never goes to our bathroom. I think it's his least favorite place, because it reminds him of how unpleasant it is to be bathed;)

claudine, Mar 5, 2016
  14. Winterybella

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We treat our dogs like family so how can we take that scene where our dog would be drinking from the toilet bowl. In fact, we do not give tap water to our dogs, it is always the purified, the same water that we humans drink. Aside from the germs and possible microbes in the toilet, it is a yucky thought that our dog would be drinking from the toilet bowl. Surely the people in our house would agree.

Corzhens, Mar 5, 2016
  15. Winterybella

morgoodie Member

My boston terrier cannot reach the toilet water to drink it so I did not have this concern. However, I have a pit bull now too and she always has to be in the bathroom with me sniffing around me. She does tend to drink the water in the toilet but I keep the door closed so she does not drink. I have a toilet cleaner tablet in the tank so I do not want her to drink that since it will not be good for her. Other than that I think it is normal for dogs to do this and I have never known a dog to get sick from it. That being said, I still do not want my dog to drink the toilet water.

morgoodie, Mar 6, 2016
  16. Winterybella

Johanna Well-Known Member

Ughhh lol!!! Nah

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
Ask a Question