The weather is changing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

We were in the middle of a heat wave last week. But, it's clear now that Autumn is on the way. Soon, it will start raining. If it's a good year, we'll get rain in November and then February, March, and April.

It reminds me that with the cooler, foggy days coming I have to get out Misha's "walking" jacket. It's a little corduroy jacket so she doesn't get too cold outside. She hates the darn thing. She's been wearing a jacket for two years and she still fights me to put it on. She's okay when we actually go walking. But, she is a bit like a cartoon character racing around the house until we get out of the door.

She gets cold easily even though we don't live in an area that gets very cold in the Winter. She seems to be cold anytime the weather is down below 60. I think that's common with small dogs, isn't it?

Is your dog hearty in Winter? Does your dog have to wear sweaters and jackets like mine in the Winter? Any problems with arthritis as the weather gets cooler? Or, is your dog the type that does fine no matter what the weather is? Maybe your dog even likes a good romp in the snow.

Melody, Oct 7, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Your up there in Canada aren't you Melody? Down here in Tasmania even though it snows it stays above zero.:confused:
    Mishka loves playing in the snow and only last week with some spring snow we played snow ball fights. I threw snow balls at Mishka and she caught them. Mishka has lots of fur so doesn't really need jumpers/sweaters. It will be hot soon so it will be time for the groomers in the valley.
    Stay warm Misha.

argon_0, Oct 7, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer loves the snow, he always puts his little head in it, it's very funny.
    Like you, Melody, I've bought a jacked for him because otherwise it would be too cold for him in winter. He hates being dressed up, but there is no other solution, so we fight:p He also has a little sweater that my mother made for him, he hates it too, but it's so soft that he easily forgets that he is wearing it:p

claudine, Oct 7, 2012
  4. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I am so grateful that the seasons are now changing. Here in Arizona we had triple digit numbers in the summer months along with over 50% humidity. This was hard for Buddy and Oso.. We would bring them in at certain times of day because of how bad the heat was. Fortunately the temperatures are now something they enjoy. But we know that winter is around the corner, although we don't deal with snow we do deal with cold temperatures which can also be hard on them.

pafjlh, Oct 7, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh he's definitely not fine in all weather. He HATES going out in the rain or snow. Because we have a backyard, though, then he has the option of simply going outside, peeing, and coming right back to the door. He doesn't wear jackets or clothes at all, but he also doesn't stay out for very long.

Jessi, Oct 7, 2012
  6. Melody

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

It was around 80 degrees today. Tomorrow, there is a high of 62 degrees. Fall is indeed upon us!

pilot2fly, Oct 8, 2012
  7. Melody

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Both mine used to hate rain of the lightest variety, but now they're OK with it as long as it's only moderate. Heavy rain and they won't go anywhere, coats or not. Snow on the other hand? They LOVE snow. It's very comical watching Sherlock trying to catch it, and barking at it like it's actually alive and out to get him. He's a complete idiot, but I love to watch him in the snow.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 8, 2012
Ask a Question