The errant dog

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by remnant, Jun 9, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

Some dogs when left to roam the compound may develop an appetite for other pets in the compound notably bird pets especially fowls. Once a dog has consumed such a pet, its extremely hard to wean it off its newly acquired taste of a hot blooded meal. Meanwhile your birdy pets have to leave their cages in order to exercise and interact with nature as well as get some insolation for improved health. What options would you consider when it comes to such a dog? Humane methods only please.

remnant, Jun 9, 2016
  2. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think the only option is to limit the area for the dog to roam, such as put him on a long leash, or fence him in. I live in an area where there is no fence around, so my dog has an outside leash, 50 feet long, and I hook him up to it when he needs to be using the outside. It is safer for him, and it won't allow him to go after wild bunny or feral cats.

IcyBC, Jun 16, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  3. remnant

Corzhens Well-Known Member

That's a yucky scene - seeing your dog eating another animal. I remember our first dog Jedi who is the executioner of rats and mice. She would kill a rat by biting and it's really yucky. We would be washing Jedi's mouth with vinegar to fight off the venom of the rat, if ever there is any. And when Jedi would do that scene at daytime, she would certainly get a bath.

But let's say we have some chicken or ducks that our dog would eat, definitely I would place the dog in a cage as a punishment. And that dog will be let loose only when there is someone to oversee. In other words, that dog would be like a convicted criminal in jail.

Corzhens, Jun 16, 2016
  4. remnant

Trellum Well-Known Member

My mom's dog has this issue, something we find plain disgusting and harmful to his health :( He loves to kill and consume small baby birds fallen from the nest or a bird of any size that got hurt and can't move much. That is one of the few things I don't like about my mom's dog :(

Trellum, Jun 16, 2016
  5. remnant

Winterybella Well-Known Member

1. I was searching for an answer to this but have come up empty handed so far. The only thing I can think of is keeping them away from the potential victims. I've seen my dog try to catch a bird but I just call them off. I have to confess that when indoors I am happy to have them attack things I am petrified of, something like the horrible cockroach. Even then, I don't like to see them too comfy to the point of eating them and truth be told they have never tried to eat them from what I have seen.

Winterybella, Jun 16, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Cockroaches are just nasty looking things, but I wouldn't let the dog eat it either. I am always thinking about the healthy part of things. I mean if I can't see myself eating something, I wouldn't give it to my dog either.

At the old house, Capone loves catching crickets so I had to call the vet to ask! Silly me, but I just had too. Human eats crickets I know, and the vet said he is fine eating them! Yuck :)

IcyBC, Jun 23, 2016
  7. remnant

Winterybella Well-Known Member

@IcyBC, I know what you mean. I often figure if I shouldn't eat it why should they. Just for the record I am sure you know some people do eat cockroaches. They say it's not the ones we dread but the ones who are fed fruits and vegetables...Yuck for me still.

Winterybella, Jun 23, 2016
  8. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

People eat all kind of bizarre things, and they said there are protein in it, but still, eek! Maybe if I am on the verge of dying because of hunger and still want to live, then I will have to roast them first before I can eat those. Surely, we can eat other things for protein and calories? Na, this is like my last breath decision, :)

IcyBC, Jun 30, 2016
Ask a Question