Stolen dog returned to little girl

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

If you are looking for something to cheer you up, watch this video. The dog was stolen earlier in the week. It's a young puppy. The family went on the local news and made a personally plea for the dog's return. They had their 11 year old daughter give an interview where she offered up the contents of her piggy bank if her dog came home. I cried. It was so sad.

Well, evidently, the thieves saw the dog on TV. They dumped it in a parking lot. Somehow it came into a woman's possession. She called police and the dog was reunited with its family. Yeah, I cried again.

Story:
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=8835768#&cmp=fb-kgo-article-8835768

The video is on the website:
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=8836164&pid=8835768

Melody, Oct 5, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

A wonderful story with a happy ending. Every parents nightmare, if something happens to their kids and equally if it happens to pet owners furry kids. I always dwell over those lost pet ads and wonder if there is to be a happy ending. You know the owners are distraught and you wish you could help in some way.:(

argon_0, Oct 6, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

This is a very moving story! If I didn't know that it has a happy ending, I would cry too. Both the girl and the dog look so happy that they're together again. I can't imagine what would I do if my Homer was stolen:( . It must be a nightmare not to know where your dog is:( .

claudine, Oct 6, 2012
  4. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I heard about this story on the news, and thought it was so sweet. The little girl looked so happy to get her dog back and the dog looked so happy to see her. I was glad it had such a happy ending, sometimes it doesn't turn out that way especially when I dog was stolen. I thought it was also nice that the woman who found the dog refused to take the little girl's reward for the return of her dog.

pafjlh, Oct 6, 2012
  5. Melody

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

That is a great story with such a happy ending! Thanks so much for sharing! Sometimes it just takes a little word of mouth to let the criminals know they know about the stolen dog. Once they found out that someone knew it was stolen, and there would be others looking out for this dog, they would be busted. I am so glad that they put stories like this out for the public to see! I am also glad that the family and this young child were reunited with their furry best friend! :)

dashboardc33, Oct 7, 2012
  6. Melody

Nick87 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that had a happy ending. I can't believe thieves would be so heartless to steal a pet in the first place. You can rob my house, take my tv, take my money, and take my computer even, but if you even touch my dogs, god help you.
    Though, my dogs would probably attack you the second you stepped inside the house anyways.

Nick87, Oct 7, 2012
  7. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

There was a case a few months back where someone stole an elderly woman's dog from her car. That dog was returned a week later. The dog was sold at a flea market and the buyer later recognized the dog on the news. My guess is the thing you should do if your dog is stolen is make a plea on TV and in the newspaper. At least, if someone buys the dog they may get a guilty conscience if they realize it's been stolen.

Nick, it seems in California this is a growing area of thievery. A dog, especially a pure breed, can bring someone a hundred or so dollars. In this family's case, they stole thousands of dollars of electronics. Then, they went in the yard and took the dog. Heartless!

Claudine, once we lost Sierra for about 20 minutes. It was enough to make my heart stop many times over. In our case, it turned out she got locked behind a gate between our garage and shed. Why she never barked when we called her name, I don't know. I can't imagine if someone stole Misha. Well, they would certainly have their hands full. Then, again, they might just let her loose because she would try to attack them. :(

Melody, Oct 7, 2012
  8. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

You got to give some credit to the heartless thieves. At least they got the smarts to decide to dump the dog and not kill it.
    I'm pretty sure if Miko got lost in our country, he would probably have been sold for breeding or the pup would probably be locked in a cage for life. I know, it's harsh but this is why most of the dogs here are tied, chained or placed in cages because if the gates are left open and they decide to go out, they'll probably be picked up by strangers.

Fortunately, we have placed the escape artist dog in the third floor so she still gets the freedom to roam around, be with people on a daily basis and not be able to run when we open the gates.

haopee, Oct 11, 2012
  9. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, usually here, the thieves want to make a quick buck. They sell the dog at a flea market or similar place where they can do it quickly.

Something like this happened to my brother's pets 1-2 years ago, though the thief had no idea they were stealing animals. At the time, my brother and sister-in-law took their two youngest dogs and a new kitten to work. They had them in crates in the back of their SUV while they ran into a coffee shop to get coffee. Their morning ritual. Naturally, my brother left a window down so they'd have air.

That was the mistake. The thief got into the SUV easily and my brother turned around just in time to see his vehicle drive off with all three animals in the back. One a full grown Doberman.

It was a long nerve wracking day. But, around 8pm they got a call from police. When they got to the spot where the SUV had been abandoned, the animals were all safe and sound in their crates. It appears that the thief had a little bit of a kind heart. They found a boxes of dog and cat treats in the back of the SUV. My guess is after he stole the vehicle, he realized he had the pets in the back. His conscience got to him and he abandoned the whole lot.

Melody, Oct 11, 2012
  10. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Awww, that's so sad.

I'm so glad it had a happy ending, though. And how precious is that that the little girl offered up her piggy bank savings to get her puppy dog back!? I'm glad it jerked at the thieves, too, and enough so that they returned the dog. That's a story they won't soon forget.

Jessi, Oct 11, 2012
  11. Melody

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Goes to show that the thieves didn't care about the dog in the first place. Why steal it if you'll dump it so easily?

pilot2fly, Oct 11, 2012
  12. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

It would be to sell it. They weren't going to steal it to keep it as their own. If that were the case, they'd likely be animal lovers and wouldn't put an animal through that in the first place.

I previously said it was enough of a tear jerker that even the thieves were moved and then returned the dog... but I think I was wrong.

On second thought, it's more likely that because the girl was on the news and everybody was seeing the story, they knew they wouldn't be able to sell the dog anyway. After all, who ever they tried to sell it to would've realized it was the little girl's dog and turned them in. So they likely just dumped it because there wasn't much alternative.

Jessi, Oct 12, 2012
  13. Melody

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

That's true. But that is so cruel. Imagine how the dog must have felt. They probably wouldn't have gotten away with selling the dog since everyone knew what it looked like. They wouldn't have any of the required paperwork or state information for the buyer to see.

pilot2fly, Oct 12, 2012
  14. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

This just happened in my neck of the woods too, someone stole a bulldog and sold it on Craiglist. The owners put out a $3,500 reward to get her back, and thankfully the new owner realized she'd been duped and returned the dog. It's at least nice to know there are some good people out there too. I don't know if she took the reward money either, but I would have given it to her. I hope they sue the people who did this though.

OhioTom76, Oct 15, 2012
  15. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well depending on what she paid for it, I suppose it would've been fair for her to at least take that amount of money. Maybe not the full $3500, but at least enough for her to break even instead of being out that money and still not having a dog.

Jessi, Oct 15, 2012
Ask a Question