Solving the Abandoned Dog Problem

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

San Francisco is going to try something to help alleviate crowding in their animal shelters. This is a pilot program that will be tested for a few weeks to see how it goes.

The idea is to have people in the city housing program foster dogs. These are mostly people in the Care Not Cash program who have permanent city housing. They must not have a history of violence, addiction, or mental illness in order to qualify for the foster dog program.

The city would give them dog training lessons and send them to dog care classes. Then, they would get a weekly stipend ($75, I think) to pay for dog food and other necessities. It is temporary. Once the dog can be adopted out, it will go to it's new home just like any other foster dog program.

What do you think of this idea? There are some who are for it and some against it. Those who are opposed say that it will put the dogs in unsafe or unstable conditions.

But, I don't know. If these screen the people well, the foster people should be okay. There is nothing that says just because you are poor that you are unfit to have a dog. And, I believe dogs can transform people. Maybe it will serve two purposes by giving these people who are trying to rebuild their lives responsibility for another being.

Any thoughts on this? Has any other city tried this?

Melody, Aug 4, 2012
  2. Melody

pugskjj Well-Known Member

i think in order for this to work the families should be strictly screened, no different from any other RESCUE, not the SPCA (I was allowed to adopt a ferret just by signing my name and paying $25...so questions or anything). I think those who assume just because the families are on government assistance have very bigoted views. I agree that it could help people just as much as the pups though.

I have never heard of another program like it so I would be interested in watching how it plays out.

pugskjj, Aug 4, 2012
  3. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Dogs can do wonders for people and having a programme to help the abandoned dog problem sounds like a great idea.The people who eventually get the dog will they pay for the dog? A friend who had dogs and pups said you never give dogs away because if you pay something for them they have a worth and will be looked after. Also the people looking after the dog initially may only be in it for the money. I hope it works though.

argon_0, Aug 5, 2012
  4. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I think just like any other organization who put other being's life in the hands of other, they certainly should have strict and steel rules when it comes to filtering the candidates.

However, just like how men and women in prisons were allowed to foster and train dogs, I believe that they should also be given a chance to do so. It's definitely better than cramming them in shelters.

And I agree with what argon_0 said about dogs doing wonders. They can give people a sense of responsibility and direction... which may be that thing that fulfills their life.

haopee, Aug 5, 2012
  5. Melody

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I disagree with this 100%. I have gotten a few pets for free that I wouldn't trade for the world! Scar (iguana) didn't cost me a penny but he gets treated the same as the rest of the pets in the house. Also being on a fixed income I can't afford to pay for a pet but that doesn't mean I would love a pet any less, not everyone has the money but that doesn't mean they don't have the love and on the other side of the spectrumI have seen dogs that cost hundreds of dollars ignored and chained outside or abandoned at the shelter...

pugskjj, Aug 5, 2012
  6. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I guess I should have added a nominal cost. $10 was used back then. On this advise years ago I did sell a litter of pups for $10 each. I guess you need to know if the person you give your dog to is a genuine dog lover. Many dogs are abused,dumped and given to dog shelters. I know everyone on this forum loves their dogs to pieces and would look after any dog well even if it was a freebie or a stray that became a family member.

argon_0, Aug 6, 2012
  7. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think this is a good start.

Still a lot more work needs to be done. There are simply too many abandoned dogs. Perhaps spaying or neutering should be made mandatory. For all dogs. Then to breed a dog, you will have to get a special license.

I have read of dogs being used to rehabilitate prisoners. This is also a good idea.

Victor Leigh, Aug 6, 2012
  8. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

A local organization in my area takes abandon dogs, screens them for suitability for being around people and medical issues. If all goes well they a gifted to lonely senior citizens who want pets and are capable of taking care of them. Local pet stores donate bedding, food and toys while vets donate their services. I think it's great and a win win situation.

Pocs, Aug 6, 2012
  9. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That sounds good. How about the abandoned dogs which do not meet the criteria? Are they re-abandoned?

Victor Leigh, Aug 6, 2012
  10. Melody

Pocs Well-Known Member

Dogs for the program come from a shelter with the idea they will work out for this program. All dogs are prescreened in the shelter, then passed on for the buddy up program. Dogs that remain in the shelter remain up for adoption.

There is a similar program that solely involves greyhounds you might be familiar with.

Pocs, Aug 6, 2012
Ask a Question