Small vs large dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks Active Member

Do you have a preference between large and small dogs? I personally like bigger dogs. I enjoy having a running partner and find that lots of breeds of small dogs can't keep up. However given my current home a dog about 40lbs is probably most suited for me at the time being.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015
  2. KimmyMarkks

claudine Well-Known Member

I like small dogs. They're so cute!!!:) My Homer is a tiny Yorkshire Terrier and even though he is 9 years old, he still looks like an adorable puppy. I feel very protective of him.

claudine, Dec 10, 2015
  3. KimmyMarkks

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I like a medium size dog and Capone is 55 lbs. Since we just moved two days ago, I am waiting for the knocks on my door to tell me that he is too big for the complex. His size is perfect to be a guard dog and he is very sporty. He goes running with my son.

IcyBC, Dec 10, 2015
  4. KimmyMarkks

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have a preference for small dogs, I can't deny it :D Same for my mom, I guess we both like them because they are so easy to groom and so cute! Giving them a shower is so easy, so is carrying them around :)

Trellum, Dec 10, 2015
  5. KimmyMarkks

Trellum, I really can't agree with it:p My Homer is teeny-tiny, but bathing him and carrying him around isn't easy at all, because he doesn't like it and always tries to bite me when I do this;)

claudine, Dec 10, 2015
  6. KimmyMarkks

Djordje87 Active Member

I have a 40 kilo golden retriever and he is in a medium to large group of dogs. He was a present ( mind our arrogance in this word) for my sister and I love all dogs, although I do not mind the breed. I believe the mix is always the best and if I had the honour of choosing it would probably be a terrier. Jack Russell or any other smaller terrier. They fit well with me and my personality, or so I was told. I also like mix breeds and I had a Miniature Schnauzer when I was a kid. A great dog.

Djordje87, Dec 18, 2015
  7. KimmyMarkks

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I think I prefer smaller dogs. For me they are easier to manage. I have three smaller dogs and one Rottie. Sometimes I feel terrible because the Rottie has to be outside most of the time. It really bothers me but I have not been able to convince my husband to let her in full time.

Winterybella, Jan 16, 2016
  8. KimmyMarkks

Alpha1 Active Member

I used to prefer small dogs when I was living in the city but now I prefer large dogs since I live on the farm now.

Alpha1, Jan 18, 2016
  9. KimmyMarkks

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I can see that happening. My bigger dog is so full of love sometimes I forget how loving she is because I do not spend as much time with her. Recently she has been coming indoors more often and staying longer periods and she's really demonstrating some qualities I don't take notice of when she is outdoors. My one thing is still she can knock me down with a friendly play.

Winterybella, Jan 23, 2016
  10. KimmyMarkks

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I prefer small dogs particularly the so called lapdogs. My favorite among my 3 dogs now is Barbie. She is a pekingese who loves to be cuddled. She is my stress reliever so I immediately carry her when I reach home. And she loves that. One dog is a spitz type who is quite a big dog and is not fit to be cuddled. Another is Pipoy, the pug, which is hyperactive but also loves to be cuddled.

Corzhens, Jan 29, 2016
  11. KimmyMarkks

You're lucky, Corzhens:) My Homer is tiny, but he hates being treated as a small dog. He would bite me if I tried to carry him. As for cuddling, he lets me do it only when he's in a good mood.
    He spends most of the time in the garden, barking at everyone and chasing cats.

claudine, Feb 3, 2016
  12. KimmyMarkks

morgoodie Member

I prefer medium to large dogs but it just depends on the small dog. Most of the small dogs I have known were barkers and I cannot stand a dog that barks constantly. My Boston Terrier does not bark too much unless he needs to go outside or he is out of food so this is not a problem. I love that he is always on my lap curled up sleeping on me too. It is nice to feel so loved by an animal and to be able to love them too.

morgoodie, Mar 6, 2016
  13. KimmyMarkks

Morgoodie, I noticed it too, small dogs bark a lot, at least mine does. He's quiet only when he's sleeping. Usually, he barks at everything, including trees and furniture.
    Fortunately, it doesn't annoy me:)

claudine, Mar 13, 2016
Ask a Question