Smacking on the nose

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, May 17, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

This is one of those disciplinary things that people can argue about just like spanking. A tap on the nose can catch a dog off guard and nip bad behavior in the bud....but it can also be considered physical punishment and frowned upon.

Where do you stand?

Jessi, May 17, 2012
  2. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I personally detest any sort of physical punishment (recieved way too much of the bad brunt of it for me to even entertain the possibility). Upon a trainer's suggestion, though, I've flicked my girl's nose with my middle finger lightly once or twice. Still, I decided not to do it because there seriously has to be another alternative which does not affect her physical integrity. Just like one wouldn't hurt a child (again, I suppose I got the bad end of that deal...)

NewDCD, May 17, 2012
  3. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Jessi, I'm not crazy about it. Whenever you use your hands in a dog's face, you put yourself at risk of a bite. Also, there is a chance that they will become afraid of hands. If you've ever seen a dog wince and cower when someone puts out their hand to pet them, you know how sad this is.

There are times when physical touch might be necessary as a reminder that you don't like the current behavior. I prefer a poke or tap in the side.

Melody, May 17, 2012
  4. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Yeah, physical punishment just makes your dog be afraid of you, and that's something nobody should want. You want him to love you, not bloody cower in fear at the sight of your visage.

NewDCD, May 18, 2012
  5. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I have never smack Mishka. I only pat her under the chin. She knows when we are a little cross but we don't punish her when she comes to us. I think you must be careful not to punish dogs.They don't think like we do.:)

argon_0, May 21, 2012
  6. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

Calling our dog's name angrily is one way of telling them they did something wrong or we do not like what he is doing.
    And if it's worst that he do not really listen, he will be grounded (he is not allowed to leave a room) could be the punishment. :p

zararina, May 21, 2012
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the dog. Hitting a Bangkeaw is the easiest way of provoking a savage counter-attack. Maybe that's because a Bangkeaw is still very much half-wolf. A Doberman, on the other hand, doesn't need much to keep it under control. Just a cross look is enough to make it sit back to await further instructions. Of course, I am only talking about the ones I have.

Victor Leigh, May 21, 2012
  8. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

I would never hit Homer. Never! To be honest, just the thought of it makes me sick. I hate violence, I strongly believe that all physical punishments are a mistake. When you are aggressive towards your dog, he will learn the behaviour and he will become aggressive too:(

claudine, Aug 19, 2013
    ACSAPA and argon_0 like this.
  9. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka has never been smacked. A few loud words and bad dog is enough for her to take notice. I agree. Violence begets violence regardless if it's kids or dogs.

argon_0, Aug 22, 2013
  10. Jessi

Exactly! After all, dogs are like children. I wish all dog owners understand it. A few months ago my mother went to a park and she saw a man there who was kicking, literally kicking his dog for not listening to him. There wasn't time to call the police, so all that my mother could to was to tell the man to stop:mad: People like this should end up in prison.

claudine, Aug 22, 2013
  11. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I don't hit dogs or children. As a child abuse survivor, I think you can communicate without physical violence. Hitting an animal only makes it afraid of you.
    You're supposed to be protecting that animal.

ACSAPA, Aug 27, 2013
  12. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

That's disgusting. I would have taken some video on my phone of the guy kicking the dog and called the police and showed them the video of the guy.
    Agreed, people like that should go to prison.

ACSAPA, Aug 27, 2013
  13. Jessi

It's a really good idea, unfortunately my mother uses a very simple cell phone that doesn't even take pictures. If I ever see the man, I'll follow him and if I see him hurting the poor animal, I'll make sure that police will know about it.

claudine, Aug 27, 2013
  14. Jessi

TheBrit Active Member

A tap on the nose certainly won't do the dog any harm. One has to remember that a dog is a pack animal, like all other animals they need, and prefer to know, where they stand in the pecking order, especially larger dogs. A dog that begins to think it is, or can become, the leader of the pack is one that will give you nothing but trouble.

Another extremely effective way of training a dog is to lay it on the ground, if this is started from a puppy it becomes much easier, and loosely pin it to the ground with your hand just round the neck. It will quickly learn to lay still, you can then tell it when to get up. Although initially you may need to make it lay still it will learn very quickly, I am not saying all but throttle the dog, gently but firmly is what's required.

Watch any mother with a new litter of cats, big or small, dogs, wolves bears, the list goes on. The mother will if a baby gets out of hand pin it to the floor with it's mouth until it lies quietly. It's the mothers way of saying "I am the boss, don't overstep the mark".

TheBrit, Sep 2, 2013
  15. Jessi

TheBrit, I can't agree with it, a tap on the nose is a corporal punishment and in my opinion it's something that should never happen. I can't imagine hitting a human. Hitting a dog would be even worse, because they trust us so much and love us.
    As for lying a dog on the ground, I guess it may work, but I haven't tried it.

claudine, Sep 11, 2013
  16. Jessi

trishgl Well-Known Member

I don't use physical punishment on my dog. It just does not make sense to me. Perhaps it works on other dogs but I have found that I don't really need to do it. If I need to distract my dog from a certain behavior raising my vice and saying no usually works fine. If my dog does not get distracted from her chosen path with my verbal reminder I block her path with my body. If it still does not work I remove her from the general area.

trishgl, Sep 11, 2013
  17. Jessi

Exactly! Violence is not necessary at all:) I've never hit Homer and I never will. Dogs are really, really smart. They understand more than we think and they know when we are angry or when they did something wrong.

claudine, Sep 13, 2013
Ask a Question