Slowing down fast eaters

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I was on the web searching for dog bowls as Misha needs a new set. I came across these, which are a new fangled design.

[​IMG]

http://www.dogcratesbeds.com/store-...Dish-Feeder-Bowl-Medium-2-Cup_1097856002.html

The idea is the raised bumps inhibit the dogs ability to chomp up all the food in 2 seconds. What do you think about this? Do you think it would really work?

I don't think it would be good for Misha. She gets so little food in her bowl (I put most in her treat balls) that it would slide around, and then, she would get mad at me because she couldn't pick up the food. :D She's so smart she would probably flip the bowl over.

Melody, Sep 12, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not think it would really work since no matter what kind of bowl or plate our dogs would use, they still eat with the same speed. LOL
    And yes, it could just irritate them for eating on a bowl with bumps. ;)

zararina, Sep 12, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I feel like I should consider buying it. Homer eats his food in 2 seconds and then he looks hungry again and he pretends that he hasn't eaten anything yet:p

claudine, Sep 12, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

It would probably work.

A cheaper route, though, is to put a ball in the dish. Not one that the dog would actually try to eat, so larger than his kibble, of course. The idea is that they have to eat around the ball and push it to the side, so they can't gulp down as much. You often see this done with pugs because they have breathing issues. They'll try to eat far too fast and it'll cause them to start choking....or even vomiting. A simple ball or spoon in the middle will slow them down, though.

Jessi, Sep 12, 2012
  5. Melody

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

If you feed your dog dry food, try pouring some warm water on it. It'll slow the eating process down. I don't think spending money on fancy bowls is really that helpful, you need to teach the dog not to wolf down his food. If dampening the food doesn't work, weigh out your dog's food, and hand feed it to them piece by piece. That way you know they're not gobbling it down too quickly.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 13, 2012
  6. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble with my dogs being picky than being a fast eater. Fortunately, they have been gifted with the manners to chew slowly and relish on their meal.

However, one of them can be quite a spoiled brat that when it comes to food, she won't eat it if it doesn't have any "toppings". Good thing she eventually learned that if she leaves it out, someone else will eat it.

haopee, Sep 13, 2012
  7. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I thought dogs are supposed to bolt down their food. I read somewhere that it has something to do with their wolf ancestry. Sometimes we might be trying to make our dogs too much like humans.

Victor Leigh, Sep 13, 2012
Ask a Question