Slideshow: Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by argon_0, May 20, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

argon_0, May 20, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  2. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

It's a very useful site. ;)
    I am just aware that chocolate is not good for dogs and nice to know some other foods we should avoid giving them.
    We feed our dogs rice and nice to know it was not bad for them as well as some fruits and vegetables.

zararina, May 20, 2012
  3. argon_0

II realised why Mishka had a toilet problem from time to time. I give her milk. Not much but...
    I'm going to stop the milk and see what happens. Keep you posted.:)

argon_0, May 20, 2012
  4. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

Okay... ;)
    Good thing our current does not want to drink milk as I tried to give some to him. Even smoothies with milk, he does not prefers it. :p

zararina, May 21, 2012
  5. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Lots of information to digest in that slideshow.

I don't agree with all the recommendations. Especially the one concerning bones. Maybe the author was talking about dogs that had been fed on manufactured dog food since birth.

My dogs have been taught to eat their meat with bones in it from the time they can start chewing. And I never had any problems with lacerations anywhere. I do know that not all the bones have been thoroughly chewed before they are swallowed but I haven't found any undigested bones in any of my dogs' feces yet. I do believe that dogs have different digestive systems from human beings and their digestive juices are much stronger.

Victor Leigh, May 21, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  6. argon_0

I had always believed that the reason dogs need to bury bones is to allow enzymes to build up on the bones so when the dog eats it, it's digested without problems. And the reason cooked bones are not so good is that there is no chance that enzymes that are in the gut can work on that bone. I found this that may be of some interest. http://rawfed.com/myths/changed.html

argon_0, May 22, 2012
  7. argon_0

That's interesting. I always thought that dogs bury bones to hoard food. I have never seen mine burying yet but I have seen Benjamas, my Poodle, hiding food under her bed. Then she eats it later.

Thank you for the link. Now I know how dogs licking their wounds make the wounds heal faster.

Victor Leigh, May 22, 2012
  8. argon_0

Becky Well-Known Member

I heard that cooked bones are also not good for dogs as they can splinter, but raw ones should be fine.

Becky, May 25, 2012
  9. argon_0

There is a thin bone on the back of a chicken leg that supposedly is not good as it can get stuck in the intestines. The cooked ones more so.

argon_0, May 26, 2012
  10. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know about avocados. I suppose it's really only relevant if you happen to keep them around a lot so that a dog could get toxic amounts. I can't imagine mine wanting to eat one anyway.

Jessi, May 26, 2012
  11. argon_0

I did have one dog before that would anything I eat, including fruits. Good thing I didn't eat avocados. When I ate fruits like watermelons and pineapples, she had to have her share.

Victor Leigh, May 29, 2012
Ask a Question