Sleep in the eyes

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Nov 5, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

Doesn't it bug you when your dog gets sleep in their eyes? Lol. If i see it, I always have to get it out. Do you use their long ears, your finger or a napkin. I use a napkin, but when I don't have one I wipe it out with her ears lol. It grosses me out when I see people using their finger to get the sleep out of their dog's eyes.

dashboardc33, Nov 5, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I never knew there was a name for that, and an odd name at that! Yeah, I would wipe it out of their eyes, but never with my bare fingers (yuck). I'd just get a washcloth and run it under warm water a bit then wipe it out. Not surprisingly, they hated when I did this, so I would always give them a kiss/hug immediately after doing it.

OhioTom76, Nov 5, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I suppose you are talking about sleep dirt, right? I have no problem about removing it with my fingers because I always wash my hands after that. Or are you talking about something else?

Victor Leigh, Nov 6, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

About once per week I clean my Homers eyes with swab dunked in tea. He lets me do this because he loves tea and he is always trying to lick it:p

claudine, Nov 6, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

pigeon_small Active Member

Ew those nasty eye boogers. I wipe them out with a soft tissue at least every other day. My dog will flinch at first but eventually relax and let me do it.

pigeon_small, Nov 6, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes, I have to do this three times a week with my Shih Tzus especially since their fur can harden up when you leave dirt and the sticky thing hanging around for too long. I also have to deal with hair stuck in their eyes.

I use wet cotton squares to clean them up and remove dirt that accumulates on their nuzzle area. It's a tedious task, but it has to be done.

haopee, Nov 7, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Ah yes, with Shih Tzus, sleep dirt can be a problem. Also the tear stains. Even with the most careful and regular cleaning, it seems to be impossible to totally remove the tear stains from my Shih Tzus. Do your Shih Tzus have this problem?

Victor Leigh, Nov 7, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol, well I'm sorry to gross you out, but I just use my finger and then wash my hands. I wipe the 'sleep' out of my own eyes that way, too, so it doesn't bother me. I guess if his was really gunky and gross, then it might be nasty, but he doesn't get much.

Jessi, Nov 13, 2012
Ask a Question