Should people carry their little dogs into stores?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by SallyintheValley, Feb 12, 2012.

1. SallyintheValley

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

100+ lb dog? What breed is that? Something huge like this one?
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 27, 2012
  2. SallyintheValley

inTHEsane Active Member

No he is not a St. Bernard, my grandfather however use to always have BIG big dogs, St. Bernard, Newfoundland, etc.
    However those type of dogs are most likely 12O-15O+ size dogs. The dog I am talking about it is the one posted in this thread here:
    http://www.dog-forums.com/threads/your-best-guess-what-is-he.212/#post-1936
    I haven't had any need to weigh him in years, but when I was consistently weighing him he averaged about 1OO, 95 during the
    warmer active months and 1O5 in the cold winter months where we don't hike as much or as hard as we usually do. Now a days
    I would guess he is averaging 1O5 year round, sine he is grown some old man weight.

inTHEsane, Feb 27, 2012
  3. SallyintheValley

summerRain Well-Known Member

Bring your mix breed huge dog in the store would scare a lot of people for sure. Any pets should not be allowed in store and even in restaurants. We love our dogs but we should also need to think other people's safety. Leaving your dog with your companion in the car would be nice or merely leave it in your house.

summerRain, Feb 27, 2012
  4. SallyintheValley

MakingCents Well-Known Member

laws aren't simply to keep order. How does smoking or not smoking in a public place 'keep order.' That law is there to protect people from second hand smoke and to keep the environment of public places clean and safe.

MakingCents, Feb 28, 2012
  5. SallyintheValley

Well, I am sure a little fella like this one here won't alarm anyone:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 28, 2012
  6. SallyintheValley

haha that's the definition of a 'teacup' dog.

MakingCents, Feb 29, 2012
  7. SallyintheValley

What a cute "teacup puppy"! But I am still sticking to my concern for other people. I just leave my dog in the car with some companion whenever I am entering a closed public area.

summerRain, Mar 5, 2012
  8. SallyintheValley

There was one time that I wanted to get a Tea-cup Poodle. Then I found out that it's tiny size was actually a genetic failing. So I gave up on the idea.

Victor Leigh, Mar 5, 2012
  9. SallyintheValley

King Browny Well-Known Member

Like in that news where the dog bites a reporter, you can’t be assured that they are tamed the whole time. I believe they get irritated, too, like a woman with a moon cycle. You may know your pet very well and him to you but what of the strangers on another place?

Actually, what I picture when I read the topic is Paris Hilton bringing her Chihuahua, Tinkerbell, in almost all the function she’s attending. That made the little dog popular actually. Good thing she’s so cute and didn’t cause harm to anybody. And she has her own carry bag. But I doubt it if she enjoys her every travel inside that box. If I am a dog, I might puke with a moving matchbox every now and then.

Sometimes, people pose their little dogs as accessories. Some may not notice it but if they really care for their dog, they’ll have it in a surrounding where they can be safe and won’t cause an alarm to anyone or won’t pester their moment of peace. Sometimes even big dogs was seen as a threat to those who are not really dog lovers and well, the dog may simply say, “makes me wonder” but one false move from a stranger they may think, “so be it.”

King Browny, Mar 5, 2012
    summerRain likes this.
  10. SallyintheValley

That's a great point King Browny. Dogs have the tendency to attack someone specially if they are threatened. They can also be so fierce when they think that their owner is in danger. My friend's Labrador is friendly but messing with his owner is not a good idea if you don't want his Labrador to tear your flesh even if it is just a prank.

summerRain, Mar 6, 2012
  11. SallyintheValley

kinser Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bring my dogs into any store or public place because I recognize that not all people love animals. Furthermore, some people have allergies. So I think it would be rude to impose my animals on the public in a public place. I would rather see people bring them in than leave them in a car though- that makes me crazy! The best place for the dog for everyone involved (including the dog) is at home.

kinser, Apr 20, 2012
  12. SallyintheValley

That reminds me of Benjamin. He's an old dog. Kind of Poodle mixed with Terrier. Benjamin has a very sinister way of dealing with people he didn't like. He would wag his tail and come close. Then he would nip them on the calf. Not a big bite. Just a nip to show his disapproval.

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  13. SallyintheValley

Jessi Well-Known Member

I really don't like it. While I understand that some people think of them like their kids, it doesn't change that they -aren't- kids. They're still animals, and not everyone can bring their dog into a store, so no, no one should be. I'm okay with service dogs, simply because there aren't any other options and it's a necessity.

Jessi, Apr 20, 2012
  14. SallyintheValley

King Browny Well-Known Member

I'm just curious why you named him Benjamin. See, I have an old guy friend who named his German Shepherd Benjamin. I think that’s a knightly name because he said that old dog of his (now deceased) is a very reliable dog.

King Browny, Apr 20, 2012
  15. SallyintheValley

I named him after Benjamin Franklin. Yes, that old dog does look stately. And he's the smartest dog I ever had.

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  16. SallyintheValley

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I think the only way that it's right to take a dog everywhere with you is if the dog has certain health conditions. It's not even just with little dogs. I hate it when I go to the grocery store and I see people that will have their dogs in the car with the windows fully shut and everything. I just don't think that is right. I mean, I could spend a good hour or two shopping and if they dog is just sitting out there roasting in the car, that would be horrible and incredibly selfish of the owner.

dkramarczyk, Apr 22, 2012
  17. SallyintheValley

Jessi Well-Known Member

And abusive. If you wouldn't leave a baby in a car like that, you shouldn't be leaving your dog like that either.

I -have- left my dog in the car for a very brief time before, but not to go shopping. We take him with us when we go out of town, so there have been a couple times where I go in to use the restroom or something at a gas station. That's not quite the same, though, either.

Jessi, Apr 22, 2012
  18. SallyintheValley

It's not just incredibly selfish of the owner to leave a dog locked in a car sitting in the hot sun. It's downright criminal. A dog can just die of heat exhaustion in such a situation.

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
  19. SallyintheValley

Well of course leaving a dog in the car isn't acceptable. (unless of course likein the situation where you are traveling and you have to run in to grab food or use the restroom). But that's why the best place to leave your dog when you are out for the day is YOUR HOUSE! The dog would have his food and water and nice comfy bed and would be anxiously awaiting your return home.

MakingCents, Apr 30, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  20. SallyintheValley

Jalisa7 Member

If it's a puppy, or if the dog has some sort of medical condition, then I think it is acceptable. Otherwise why would any dog need to be carried around? It's just not natural for them. They aren't babies. I do agree with everyone here though.. It really gets under my skin when I take a trip to the store and see a dog locked up in the car. I mean... why bring the dog with you in the first place??

Jalisa7, May 1, 2012
Ask a Question