Separate them?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I just witnessed something that I probably should have had on tape. Mother and child fighting almost viciously. I have seen the odd little squabble, but these two went at it in a way I can't recall seeing before. While my son seemed amused, I interrupted the fight and it left me quite sad.

The fight was over food. I fed them all from the same bowl and there is where the trouble began. I do this from time to time-actually most times, and while you'll get the occasional growl, there is never a fight. Now each one is sitting around separated with some lingering animosity I believe. Well Ginger is the only one ready to play: she is special like that. Should I always separate them for feeding?

Winterybella, Jun 16, 2015
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Woah, so sorry to hear that! But if the fight was so bad, then you should definitely separate them, be specially careful with those two. It's sad, but most dogs don't like the idea of sharing food, maybe that was a specially bad day for them. You know all dogs have different personalities and I beleive like any other creature they can feel moofy sometimes.

Trellum, Jun 17, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Trellum, it was such a fight like I have not seen before. I only wonder what would have happened if I had let it continue. Of course they all warmed up to each other later which is always great to watch. I have to confess I put the food in one bowl again this morning. The only one who ate was Ginger. Trust Ginger to not let emotions get in the way.

Winterybella, Jun 17, 2015
  4. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Woah, did they actually bite each other hard? Something like that? I'd be alarmed too, but probably they were just moody. By the way, are all your girls fixed? And if they are... were they fixed before their first heat or later? That day... did you give them what you usually give them? Are you sure no one else has given them something differnet ot eat?? Like for example a little sinful snack?

Trellum, Jun 19, 2015
  5. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My two boys have little spats like that. They are a really old alpha male, and a really young alpha male. The longest it's ever lasted was 45 seconds or so. No one gets hurt and no one comes out the winner. I don't want to separate any of them. I have kennels but I can't stand making them sit in there.

LilAnn, Jun 19, 2015
  6. Winterybella

None of them are fixed. Is that a bad thing? My brother is more of a dog person than I am and he keeps telling me he wants to put Zola with a sweet one he has. Elsewhere I was told I should not. With Remy her mom I wonder if I should have her fixed at her age whatever it is. Well Ginger, she just came so she is just there. It's because they are not fixed that I was so worried about the other dog coming around.

I honestly find that since Ginger has landed, I am seeing different attitudes in both of them. Zola is more tamed and Remy sometimes more out going which is always a treat. Ginger even gets Remy to play sometimes but eventually they both get tired of the play and she doesn't. The fight was serious. I have NEVER seen Zola really mad until Ginger came. It's a mixed up situation.

Winterybella, Jun 19, 2015
  7. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My in laws used to have 2 alpha females. They had to take turns coming out for 2 hours, and in the kennel for 2 hours. It was horrible. You could tell they were hating it, but the moment they were allowed in the room together they were going at it.

LilAnn, Jun 30, 2015
  8. Winterybella

mkCampbell Active Member

They may have been related but they are still dogs being territorial over food. Sometimes that happens. We had two dogs as fosters that hated each other for several months. One would walk several feet away from the other and you could hear the growls.

mkCampbell, Jul 1, 2015
  9. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

that would make me so nervous! I've had to break up dog fights before, and I have never managed it without me getting hurt in the process.

LilAnn, Jul 2, 2015
  10. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Being the first time dog owner, I have no idea why they suddenly fought over food after you've done it many times before. When my daughter, or nephew or niece brought over the dog, I see that Capone and other visiting dogs growling at each other over their own bowl of food. We usually separate them in different rooms after that.

IcyBC, Jul 24, 2015
  11. Winterybella

Maybe I should write a book about dog behavior because my little angels seem to be fine after that 'big fight'. I still see the occasional growl to protect some food but they seem fine again. I have been trying to feed them in separate bowls but this Ginger is so greedy she eats hers and then heads the other's bowls. Earlier I used one pan just to give them all a little morning snack and Ginger stood there and ate it all. Zola just sat back and let her eat it all and Remy did the same. I guess something had to be up that day that my girls went at it like that. These days they are mostly licking each other. We can learn a lot from them.

Winterybella, Jul 25, 2015
Ask a Question