Scratching

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pocs, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

I have 2 dogs, one a bicheon pommerian mix and the other a bicheon, pommerian terrier. Small hairy dogs. I keep them clipped and well groomed. My problem is they both scratch to the point of sores and hair lose. They do not have fleas, ticks or mites. I use sensitive dog shampoo. My vet prescribed a topical cream and suggested children's benadryl. Which cost me 167.00 including vet visit, but offered the little relief that only lasted a few days. Any suggestion? I'm open to anything.

Pocs, Jul 26, 2012
  2. Pocs

Dani72 Active Member

The first thing I would do is to stop them scratching, in order to break the scratch- itch cycle. You would need to put one of those large collars on that they have for injuries. I don't know what they are called.
    Then I would treat the itch with the medication suggested by the vet. I would also ask if they could have a steroid and antibiotic. That way, you have pretty much everything covered. Expensive, I know.
    Even though you are sure they don't have fleas etc, I would treat for these anyway. Just in case. I know fleas are fairly obvious, but mites can't always be seen.
    When you have treated for everything in this way, you will know for sure that it isn't a physical problem. You then need to look for a psychological one. The collar, which they will by now have had on for a couple of weeks will be helping to break any habitual behaviour. In case it is a habit, you need to give them something to do to break it. It could be something like a good long lasting chew or peanut butter in a Kong toy. Just something to keep them busy.
    I would also increase the amount of walks that they have as well as the amount of play/mental stimulation time that they spend with you.
    However, the fact that you have more than one dog with the problem, makes me suspect that it is environmental rather than anything else, so I would change whatever bug treatment you are using, just in case they have become immune to it. Try to get something with different ingredients, rather than just a different brand.
    I would be very interested to hear what the final solution is. Hope you find it soon.

Dani72, Jul 26, 2012
  3. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

We have done the cones also. I have been talking to a allergist. He seems to think it's a nervous problem or allergies. Which could be possible, my older dog is the father of the younger one. He suggested I talk to my vet about having them allergy tested.

Thanks for your advice!

Pocs, Jul 27, 2012
  4. Pocs

Dani72 Active Member

The allergy testing sounds like a good idea. You seem to have considered everything else. I hope you find an answer.

Dani72, Jul 29, 2012
  5. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

Thank you, allergy testing is currently under way. Ironically it's very similar to human testing except for shaving a clean clear spot on the boys. It will take a few days to get all the test back. I'll keep you posted, maybe this might help someone else.

Pocs, Jul 30, 2012
Ask a Question