Scolded!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Oh my God. I don't even know how to feel. I went a few hundred yards across the streets to the mini mart in my area.It's really hot but Zola is the best traveler and she wanted to go for the walk. I honestly never knew this, but when I got to the mart, a guy started to tell about his dog that died after walking on the hot streets and that I should not walk the dog in the heat like that.

Slightly embarrassed and a little upset that he was suggesting I was putting my baby at risk, I picked up a few things and left kindly reminding him that my girl isn't about to die. All the while I telling myself he might actually know what he's talking about but I honestly did not know. It was not a lot of road to travel and we mostly walked on grass. Sure enough I came home and checked it out and sure enough there was something to pay attention to. Zola is fine and really does have some shoes/boots which I think she'll never wear.Is everyone aware of the dangers of a hot pavement?

Winterybella, Aug 26, 2015
  2. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I think the guy was trying to make sure your dog wouldn't die as well, but it's hard to take that kind of unwanted (although well intended advice) when the person does that in public and says it loudly in front of everyone. Just try not to take it personal and you will be fine. I never take my dog during this time of the year for the same reason. Horrible weather.

Trellum, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Winterybella

You are right.Calling me out in public like that left me quite unsettled and now I know how accurate he was, makes me feel kind of silly. In my own defence, it was mostly grass we walked so no real harm could come to her. At the end of the day a rather unsuspecting person taught me something so for that I am thankful. My ego is pushed aside for my girls. Have to spread the word in case the others here don't know.

Winterybella, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think he meant well, but it is also insulting when he didn't taking into consideration of being discrete about it! It is embarrassing for sure and I can relate to how you feel. I positively know that you wouldn't put your girl in jeopardy at all.

Maybe he is just a straight shooter and doesn't always think before he talks :)

IcyBC, Aug 27, 2015
  5. Winterybella

Actually that is one of my biggest pet peeves, I'd not like it if someone did the same to me in public, is just not nice, specially if they call it out loudly. It's embarrassing. I think no one likes it, specially when it comes to how they raise their children and so on. I think doing what he did is a sure way to piss anyone off D: Specially if it's a mother in law doing it ;) or sister in law, but it's so shocking when it comes from a stranger. Not cool.

Trellum, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Well the thing with me is that I am always happy to get new info if it's going to positively impact on my care of the girls. We are all different I suppose. I am capable of being just about anything if I am being honest, but I always try to be discreet and sensitive to people's feelings. At least if I see someone doing it now, I'll know how to proceed, as I believe the person doing it would be acting in innocent ignorance. I guess those boots are not for style. Zola hated them when I last tried to put them on her. Thank God I left the other two at home.

Winterybella, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Winterybella

I am also happy to get useful feedback, but it also depends how the person do it. i think most of this things should be done in private, not in public, let alone use a loud voice in front of everyone, so everyone end up hearing everything that is being said D: That is my worst pet peeve. Hahahaha, and yeah, those booties look so weird :p My dog doesn't like them either. I think this season is specially hard for her because she has so much hair... everywhere, lol.

Trellum, Aug 28, 2015
  8. Winterybella

I am the sweetest girl in the world myself, but try to embarrass me or get between me and my dogs and it's another story. And one off the wonderful things about me is that I am very sensitive to feelings of others but a lot of times no one is sensitive to mine.Since I had never heard about the heat being so harmful, all I quietly asked him was 'are you killing my dog now?' picked up a few things and left.

Sometimes my son is more knowledgeable than I am on these fine details, but surprisingly he had never heard of it. At the end of the day we are all wiser.

Winterybella, Aug 28, 2015
  9. Winterybella

I know what you mean, I think you reacted quite well :) Other person would have probably gotten quite angry or react very badly (I know people like that), but you reacted in a god way. Kudos to you, not many people can take criticism that well! Specially coming from a strangers.

Trellum, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Tomi Active Member

What a way to show concern for zola! I wonder why the guy didn't strike up a quiet conversation with you instead? Well, maybe that's just how he is, shall we conclude?

Tomi, Aug 30, 2015
  11. Winterybella

Oh dear!! I just looked through the window and saw this little boy running from the area of the mini mart where I was scolded. He's running with a dog on a leash and he seems to be traveling on a lot of concrete. This is one time I hope the guy who gave me the chastising educates the little boy.

Winterybella, Sep 2, 2015
  12. Winterybella

Sharon Brown New Member

I guess I never thought that hot concrete could be detrimental to dogs.

Sharon Brown, Sep 5, 2015
  13. Winterybella

Thank God I am not alone. Truth is that I have been reading more and more about it's true that just as we are not going to walk barefoot on the pavement in the scorching sun, we should not expose our dogs to it. My dog did not have much concrete to walk on but I will be more careful next time. The whole dying thing was a bit extreme but some damage can be caused. It's even more concerning if it's a puppy.

http://petslady.com/articles/10_tips_protect_your_dogs_paws_hot_pavement_57624

Winterybella, Sep 5, 2015
  14. Winterybella

Sharon Brown New Member

I don't have much concrete in my area so thank god I always walked my dog on the grass. But I certainly will be more aware now.

Sharon Brown, Sep 5, 2015
  15. Winterybella

That's the good that came out of it. I asked my son expecting he would know and he didn't so I am guessing there are a lot of us who never knew. I keep meaning to try the shoes on see how Zola reacts. I am also guessing I need to get other shoes if I intend to do it again and include the others. Perhaps I'll have to make them.

Winterybella, Sep 6, 2015
Ask a Question