Rabies scare

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Corzhens, May 30, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

During last year's summer, there was a rabies scare in our area. The local government issued a declaration that rabies is being spread by stray dogs. It was a good campaign because we noticed that stray dogs were not that prevalent anymore in the streets. But from my point of view, I think that is only the ploy of the local government because they cannot catch the stray dogs because the owners would be quarreling with them. And to avoid arguments, they sent out that declaration.

On the other hand, if that rabies scare is true, it would be easy to spread if there are stray dogs. Fortunately we don't allow our dogs to go our of our fence. They can only get out when riding in the car. There are stray dogs right here in our street but I cannot do anything because I know the owners and they are stubborn to the idea of keeping their dogs on a leash or in a cage. They say it is cruelty, huh.

Corzhens, May 30, 2016
  2. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

That would be scary to know and have stray dogs around. Fortunately, I live in America and my dog is due to get a rabie shot this August.

We have stray cats everywhere, and people who own cats just let the cat roam wherever they want. This to me is irresponsible because the cat will use other people's garden to do its business, which is really nasty, but they don't have to clean it up; the house owner has to do the clean up for them. Not fair, and not pleasant!

IcyBC, May 30, 2016
  3. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

We live in a rural area near some tropical bushes where different kinds of animals hide in the wild including foxes though these are becoming rare these days. These can be sources of zoonosis and rabies is no exception. We had a dog that died of the symptoms of rabies. Most pet keepers in our area ignore the necessity of rabies vaccination partly due to the cost which should not equal the value of the relationship the pet offers. The dog's life should come first.

remnant, Jun 16, 2016
  4. Corzhens

cluckeyo Active Member

It is so important to keep up with vaccinations. Especially rabies. Here, you can buy all your vaccines at TSC and adminster them yourself. The exception is the rabies, that one has to be done by a liscensed veternarian. But every year, the local vet holds a vaccine clinic, and you can get the rabies shot for each of your pets for $5 each. A small price to pay for prevention.

cluckeyo, Jun 24, 2016
Ask a Question