Puppy attached to someone else?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by tjb0412, Sep 13, 2016.

1. tjb0412

tjb0412 New Member

So we have an 8 month old yorkie puppy, Finn. My roommate has an 8 yr old female Great Dane and the 2 dogs get along great. We let the dogs spend a lot of time together because there are no other pets or people in the household. They most often hang out in my roommates bedroom. I have noticed the past few days that Finn wants to spend more and more time with them and tolerates my company less. I feed him his meals and he sleeps in my room at night but there are times he won't even finish his meals before wanting to be let out and be with them. Usually before a few days ago, he would eat and then want me to cuddle and rub his tummy...not so these past few days. I don't know if he's attached to my friend or her dog, but I'm feeling jealous and a little hurt to be honest. He has never ever whined in his bed at night, but as soon as I put him to bed tonight, he is whining non stop.
    What do I do? Do I separate him from his buddy and spend more time with him just myself?
    Please give me some advice.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    tjb0412, Sep 13, 2016
  2. tjb0412

Becky Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

It may be that your puppy has started viewing your room mate or the other dog as 'pack leader' - maybe try activities that help him bond with you more. Have you done obedience classes with him?

Becky, Sep 19, 2016
  3. tjb0412

Bourne1791 New Member

Maybe your puppy is still on adjustment period. You need to try to have some vacation with your puppy and spend time together.

Bourne1791, Sep 30, 2016
Ask a Question