Poop training for adult dog. Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016.

1. GeeTee

GeeTee Member

Hi everyone. I have a huge pitbull/mastiff mix dog we call Shadow. He was already a pretty big pup when I got him,, and he already had the habit of pooing wherever he was, which for me amounted to around the immediate vicinity of the house. I don't tolerate that, so I began training him in terms of "no poo" areas, poo time when he's chained, and where to poo. It's a big property, I have another dog, Lassy, the bushes is all theirs, just don't poo in the yard. That's our deal. I found Shadow to be very trainable. Remove the poo from an area a few times, and he'd get the message. Things were going very well. until a mother dog from next door and her wild pups (she had them in the bushes on another property) started to come over at nights.

The dogs became friends, and to cut a long story short, they were nasty. They messed in the yard like crazy, and Shadow picked up the bad habit. Things have improved, as the other dog owner and myself we were able to catch at least three of the five pups, and the mother and those remaining are bit more cautious about coming over. But Shadow's bathroom habits were derailed. Frustrating! Worse so since I'm not there to retrain. My mom is often left with the task of cleaning up. Not good.

Whew! Now for my question. Does anyone here have a few tips they can share that I could get my mom and sis to use to help get him get back on track? He's a big dog now, and knows when we're upset with him for messing where he shouldn't. That says to me that he knows it's wrong and it may still be possible to get him to stop all together. Bear in mind I'm not there. I only see him every few weeks when I go home, and never for long so my contact time is limited. Thanks :)

Attached Files:

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  2. GeeTee

JoshPosh Member

First of all, whatever training technique you implement, it has to be performed and encouraged by everyone in the house or it won't work. the dog will sense who is the weaker one and won't listen or observe the rules set forth.

You have to set him on a schedule. Sounds like he is a house dog. If so, start placing him on a leash and take him out every so often. Maybe 4 times a day at exact intervals. Maybe every 4 hours. Just put him on a leash and take him to the nearest are so that he can mark his territory. A bush or tree will do. The dog will let you know what his favorite object is.

If you set him on that schedule and exact place of marking, he will go back to it each and every time to mark it. As he has taken control of it, in his head anyways. After awhile, if you do have a enclosed property, you can now let him out on his own, and he will go straight for the desired spot to mark again. Eventually, it will be like clock work and you don't have to walk him out.

I hope that helps.

JoshPosh, Jul 8, 2016
  3. GeeTee

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Giving the fact that he is a big dog, walking him might be a problem for your mom and sister. Why not chain him close to the area where you want him to do his business? I believe he is trainable, but consistency is a must until the desired habit is formed. Discipline him when he does something that you don't like or want to happen.

I sent Capone to a "time out" corner for him to stay, and he learned to stay there until I said Ok. So a few times of teaching the dog and enforced on what you taught him will turn out to your benefits.

IcyBC, Jul 15, 2016
  4. GeeTee

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Our trick for toilet training is the newspaper. But our experience is only for puppies since all our dogs are puppies when they arrived. But I guess that would also be applicable to big dogs. Spread an old newspaper on the floor (of your desired place, on the ground if it is the backyard). Walk your dog in a circle, just like circling the newspaper. At first, it will take time, not just 5 minutes but once you are able to induce your dog to do its thing on the newspaper, the second occasion will be easier and faster.

Corzhens, Jul 21, 2016
  5. GeeTee

Winterybella Well-Known Member

YES it can be done. I read a long time ag that you can teach an old dog new tricks and I believe this with my whole heart. I often tell myself that if I just had the time I can teach my dogs anything. Sadly I can't give specifics to address your particular situation but I am here to say it can be done. In addition to what others said it's important that the others involved are consistent and persistent.

Winterybella, Jul 21, 2016
  6. GeeTee

GeeTee Member

He's an outdoor dog and was kept on a leash at a certain area of the yard. He would poop where he was tied, but once I pick up the poop a few times he would get the message and stop pooping in that area. The problem began when the other wild dogs started coming over. He was released at nights so he ran around the property and played with them. They just messed anywhere and he started following. he's still very mindful of the lessons he learnt re not pooping in the immediate yard, but now that he's big and still displays some of the undesirables he picked up I'd love to get him to stop as my mom is basically the only one there with him during the days. Not fair for he to be oicking up after him at all.

GeeTee, Aug 2, 2016
  7. GeeTee

GeeTee Member

Thanks for that. I also know it can be done, but I'm just not there and that's the problem. It would be nice to find an easy, yet effective strategy that my mom could use. the dog is still very aware that we are not pleased when he poops in the immediate yard, and that I think is a great thing. If only there was someone or a way to build on it.

GeeTee, Aug 2, 2016
  8. GeeTee

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find the perfect link online for you but right now I am just finding bits and pieces to deal with your situation and everything still says it can be done. A lot of what I read has to do with putting the dog on a leash and then taking them to a specific area and then praising them when they are done. In a sense I think this is probably something I can benefit from although in my case I have three small dogs and one Rottie which makes my job a little tough. Anyway, I am rambling on. See if this link is any good for you.

http://www.trainingcesarsway.com/easyturf/teach-your-dog-to-use-his-bathroom

Winterybella, Aug 3, 2016
Ask a Question