Nippy Puppy?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by NewDCD, May 15, 2012.

1. NewDCD

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Hello all. My little Samoyed pup, Milla, loves to nip and bite at us playfully since as long as I can remember. While she's going to be only 4 months old next Sunday, I'm wondering: just how can I get her to stop this sort of rough play? Actually, for the record, is this sort of rough play bad for her, in the first place? On one hand, I read that allowing dogs to nip and bite at you creates behavioral problems later on. On the other hand, I've heard it's just common puppy behavior and that they grow out of it soon enough.

I'm just worried...should I do something about the matter now? Or wait and hope she grows out of it later? Since she's so playful and friendly, I'm scared that when she grows older and develops a stronger jaw, she'll try to play with a visitor or a family and bite them with the most innocent of intentions! She once bit my nose while I was playing with her, and while she's not exactly strong, her tooth got into my nostril and nicked a bit of the outer tissue. Not painful, but I was bleeding for quite a bit, so that was annoying.

So yes, what do you guys think? What sort of approach should I take to this?

NewDCD, May 15, 2012
  2. NewDCD

Karen Member

I done this with my Chihuahua when he was little and although he doesn't bite, he will nip at peoples heels as they walk away. He used to do that to me but if the person stops and turns around to him and tells him to stop he generally will...or at least until they go to walk off again, so i'm in the process of trying to break him from that right now. awhile back I had another chihuahua who was also very rambunctious and would mouth a lot, I didn't put a stop to it soon enough and she got to where every time she'd play she would bite or mouth people, not good because she would get kind of rough and to her it was all just play, I would suggest if your dog has the personality of getting real excitable I'd try to put a stop to it now otherwise when she get's older she may hurt someone out of play or easily become aggressive when getting too excited during play.

Karen, May 17, 2012
  3. NewDCD

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Since she's almost four months old, I'm trying to teach her not to be so bitey. She's quite the stubborn one, though. I'm just trying to figure out just exactly how I should go around it. I mean, I want to avoid any sort of negative reinforcement, so I'm not sure how to solve the problem.

NewDCD, May 17, 2012
  4. NewDCD

Karen Member

My Chihuahua barks a lot and nips and peoples heels when they are walking away, so he got a tin can put a couple of penny's in it and taped the lid on so it doesn't come off, whenever Tippy starts to bark or go towards people's feet all I have to do now is grab the can and he stops and goes and lays down on his bed. The noise scares him so I've only had to shake it at him a few times and now all I have to do is grab the can. Works great.

Karen, May 18, 2012
  5. NewDCD

zararina Well-Known Member

It was a common behavior but still better to let him/her now it was not a good thing to do.
    We do not allow our puppy to enjoy biting our hands or us and whenever he will bite some things like slippers, we get it away from him and give him bones instead or even wood. :p

zararina, May 18, 2012
Ask a Question